Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Good news story from an alternator failure  (Read 1061 times)

Offline POD

Good news story from an alternator failure
« on: 05 January, 2018, 09:33:52 PM »
 :001:Not really a new topic sorry guys but I just thought I would share a little good news story from Honda Australia and the old stuffed alternator scenario that most of us have suffered. My alternator failed after coming home from a perfect week away riding in the mountains, very lucky firstly that I did make it home... :037: Ive have had the CBF since new over 7 years ago and have done around 50,00km, the bike was manufactured though in 2009, so not surprised when it eventually failed.

Thanks to your forum I noticed comments regarding Honda extending the warranty on this problem as they recognised it as a design fault, so I though it was worthwhile to contact them here and bingo, they agreed to fix it at the local Honda dealership :031:, no questions asked. Very happy with that as they supplied the upgraded alternator and rotor, also the labour to carry out the mods.... not even questioning my service history (of which I have carried out personally... so I thought they would kick at that).

Since then I have fitted a small weatherproof dig voltmeter on the dash so I can monitor the charge voltage, its a good warning if things start going belly up before your stranded with a dead battery.

Cheers Guys and thanks for a great Forum, from POD in Oz. :001:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Good news story from an alternator failure
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2018, 04:14:10 PM »
Good result.

:002:
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Agimesoj

• Bike: CBF1000 ABS 2007
  • City / Town: Pamplona
« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2018, 08:47:58 PM »
Hello.
Can you tell me what model off voltmeter did you fitt?
Any pics?
Tutorial?

Thank you

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6

Offline Agimesoj

« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2018, 09:01:11 PM »
Thank you J-man.
 :001:

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Agimesoj

« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:08:20 AM »
Thanks for your answer.
where do you connect the voltmeter?
I think in two options.
- conect to the light beams. If I do this, I want make a loom to put between the lights connector.  Anyone know the sumitomo 4p model?
- direct to the battery with a relay. I want to take live feed to the options 6p connector. Sumitomo model?

Regards

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2018, 11:54:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by POD [+]
:001:Not really a new topic sorry guys but I just thought I would share a little good news story from Honda Australia and the old stuffed alternator scenario that most of us have suffered. My alternator failed after coming home from a perfect week away riding in the mountains, very lucky firstly that I did make it home... :037: Ive have had the CBF since new over 7 years ago and have done around 50,00km, the bike was manufactured though in 2009, so not surprised when it eventually failed.

Thanks to your forum I noticed comments regarding Honda extending the warranty on this problem as they recognised it as a design fault, so I though it was worthwhile to contact them here and bingo, they agreed to fix it at the local Honda dealership :031:, no questions asked. Very happy with that as they supplied the upgraded alternator and rotor, also the labour to carry out the mods.... not even questioning my service history (of which I have carried out personally... so I thought they would kick at that).

Since then I have fitted a small weatherproof dig voltmeter on the dash so I can monitor the charge voltage, its a good warning if things start going belly up before your stranded with a dead battery.

Cheers Guys and thanks for a great Forum, from POD in Oz. :001:

Hi there
I thought that the limitations were for 7 years after year of manufacture???....but I am obviously wrong
I had mine replaced in 2014...I think, just before the expiry time. Has been faultless since and now close to 60000kms. No problem with the replacement or dealership.

Where abouts are you in OZ??
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #8 on: 02 November, 2018, 04:32:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Agimesoj [+]
Thanks for your answer.
where do you connect the voltmeter?
I think in two options.
- conect to the light beams. If I do this, I want make a loom to put between the lights connector.  Anyone know the sumitomo 4p model?
- direct to the battery with a relay. I want to take live feed to the options 6p connector. Sumitomo model?

Regards
Sumitomo HM Sealed 4 Way Male Connector Part Number 6187-4441
( https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,17003.msg206197.html#msg206197 )

"... It is a 6 P connector that is completely taped over and against the main wiring loom under the right rear cowl." (not yet identified by part number on this forum)
https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,9649.0.html

Here's a vendor with photos that might help identify?....
https://www.corsa-technic.com/search.php (use the search box there for honda )

p.s., there's a 'Search' box on this forum!
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Agimesoj

« Reply #9 on: 02 November, 2018, 09:09:12 AM »
Thank you richardcbf.
I know exist a "search" box on this forun. I used it, but there is a lot off information and maybe I didn't read all. :431:
Thanks again. This is a great forum.

Recent Topics