Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bluetooth Bike to Bike Communication Units  (Read 2085 times)

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Bluetooth Bike to Bike Communication Units
« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2018, 04:57:01 PM »
Thanks Gents. :028:

As with everything, there are conflicting opinions about most of the units. However, I'm nudging towards one of the Interphone models.  :002:

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2018, 08:35:12 AM »
Thanks Mike, but I don’t think my £20 Nokia mobile will do the job. :015:

We take an iPad, but we’d need two to do bike to bike.  :028:

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2018, 10:33:00 PM »
Anyone had any dealings with Motointercom from Italy?

Their prices are far cheaper than any other sellers I've come across. I've got a Euro MasterCard so I'm happy to pay in Euro's.

I can get a Double Pack Interphone F5MC for Euro 237.32 including delivery (£216ish at todays rates, £250+ in UK). A Double Pack of Cardo Scala Rider Freecom 4 for Euro 292.46 (about £266, £350+ in the UK!)

I've purchased stuff from all over Europe without issue, but always like to see if anyone else has dealt with a company. :028:

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #14 on: 10 January, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
Just ordered a twin pack of Interphone F5MC's from Sports Bike Shop. They honoured their UK suppliers price match pledge, so I got them for £228.97 with free delivery. :001:

I'll do user updates as and when there is anything to say about them. Thanks for the input.  :028:

Online Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #15 on: 10 January, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »
 :001: Good, I hope your happy with them, you will keep us up on how you find them,  :152:
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #16 on: 19 January, 2018, 05:17:00 PM »
First Update.

Ordered Wednesday pm, from The Sports Bike Shop in Lincolnshire, arrived Friday am, put them together Sunday. Returned Tuesday of the following week and replacements arrived on Thursday pm.

The first set had a problem with one of the units charging lights. Great customer service from the supplier (so far).

TOP TIP............

Put the units together,  test everything and do the online update check BEFORE setting up in your helmet.

I followed the instructions with the first set, which tells you to install everything in your helmet first, only to find one was defective, requiring me to strip it all out again!

When the 2nd set arrived I put them together, charged and set them up making sure everything was working properly. THEN, AND ONLY THEN did I install them into our helmets.

The units feel pretty solid and fit nicely on our helmets. I used the screwed clamp on my Shark Evoline 3 and the stick on clamp on my wife’s Caberg Duke. Due The the different shapes of the helmets different clamps were required.

We’ve only checked the intcom in our street, but reception was good, even with walls and trees between us for 200 metres plus. I’ll update the bike to bike intercom once we’ve been out on the road.

Installing the speakers and mic is easy, but fiddly. Installing in to the Caberg was easier than my Shark.

Can’t say too much about the workings until we’ve had chance to use then. However, the programs are easy to set up. What I’m not overly fussed about is the units have to be on the helmet in order to charge them. Also, to make them fully waterproof you need to smear silicon grease around one of the housings.

:028:

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #17 on: 07 April, 2018, 11:21:42 AM »
Further Update.

Yesterday was the first chance we’d had to get out and test the units on our bikes.

Overall we were pleased. A few things to note.............

Don’t believe the distances quoted! On open roads 200 to 300 metres (maybe a little further but not much), in towns 50 to 100 metres depending on surroundings.

The nearer the other rider is to you the better the unit volume (I switched off the auto volume to use the easy to use  ‘up’ ‘down’ button. At 60mph I could hear my wife if she was within a range of about 100 metres, at 30mph to 50mph I could hear her clearly as long as she was within the maximum distances stated above.

We were both wearing foam earplugs, and of course, individual helmets will have a bearing on what you can hear.

I did have to turn off the Bluetooth connection from my sat nav as that cut in overriding the intercom. It then took at least 10 sections to automatically connect back to intercom. This was a real pain, but not an issue is out solo riding.

The unit tells you when the connection is lost due to distance, but reconnects automatically when within communication range.

I haven’t tried the FM radio as I’m not interested in having music on.

Having to charge the units on the helmet is a nuisance but not more.

I must admit, like I dragged my feet about getting a sat nav, I’ve been dragging my feet about getting bike to bike comm’s. But at the end of ride debrief, with my better half, we’ve both come to the conclusion that this piece of technology is also here to stay.

There’s no need to leave the intercom live all the time, as one button push switches it on or off, once the unit is fully switched on. The hand gestures and shouting to communicate are a thing off the past. The biggest advantage to me is I won’t have to keep hunting in my mirrors to see if  my wife if still behind me........she’ll be able to tell me.  :001:

diverse-leafy