Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bluetooth Bike to Bike Communication Units  (Read 1918 times)

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Bluetooth Bike to Bike Communication Units
« on: 05 January, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »
Back in 2015 I made my one and only foray into the world of motorcycle comm’s, ending in dismal failure. :110:

Thanks to ‘The Hairy Bikers’, my last bastion of solitude may be about to go. Watching their Mediterranean Tour program last night, my wife said ‘I think it would be a great idea if we could talk to each other like Si and Dave’.

Reminding her that she liked to sing and talk to herself whilst riding (her own bike) did nothing to put her off. Asking her about 20 times if she was sure, did nothing either.

I’ve hit the search button but most threads are old or haven’t been updated.

Having failed using cheaper units what I want is a simple to use, bike to bike Bluetooth set up. Not interested in music or phones, but would be useful for listening to my Sat Nav directions. I’m also not interested in units fitted to the bikes, just to our helmets.

I’m probably looking at a Sena set up, but still in the research phase. :028:

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Re: Bluetooth Bike to Bike Communication Units
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2018, 03:47:54 PM »
Hiya, we started off with an Autocom system with radios, and ditched that for the Sena system 20s, it does everything it says on the can and you can turn "her" off LOL, as long as you keep it updated you wont have a problem with the system, it is expandable to talk to others up to 8, and works perfectly for sat nav's. though I'm sure others will be along to tell you other makes are as good ETC  :159:
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #2 on: 06 January, 2018, 04:46:26 PM »
What’s the rider to rider reception like? Distance reception? Easy rider to rider set up?

For years we’ve coped in our  own worlds using hand signals and gestures. However, a couple of years ago we were stuck in a diversion through Lisbon and my wife was in need of a water stop, but couldn’t get my attention. 40 degrees, heavy traffic, way off sat nav route .....I had my hands full riding myself. If we’d have had comm’s it would have been easier.

It’s more of a safety / convenience thing than my wife wanting to talk to me. :027:

Any feedback is appreciated.   :028:

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #3 on: 06 January, 2018, 10:48:31 PM »
We get between 50 and 300 meters, okay for what it is, though they say that the 20's can communicate up to 900, we've never had that!!
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

It appears all the manufacturers claim far greater distances than people great in ‘real world’ use.  :028:

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2018, 06:11:23 PM »
I'm still using my autocom and some PMR446 radios. They work great at distances up to 3-5 miles (depending on the terrain).  BUT!!! I've had them modified so they transmit at 4w instead of 0.5w - that makes a real difference.

BT ones are OK, but, as you have found, the range is very very dependent on what is in the way - and 1/2 mile is probably the limit.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »
My mate and I use Scala Rider 9xs  (Cardo systems) - both work well and we get approx 1 k in range - still working after 4 years and battery life is a whole day +.  In addition I like it because you can activate and change everything, move music tracks or answer calls when riding by using the speech activated recognition system - so no hands necessary once you have it set up.   The latest systems have moved on but from my personal experience I would go for another Scala/Cardo systems set.  Have a look at the guide below - while it pushes the sales pitch - attached to each are user reviews which give a good insight into the ownership thoughts on each - take a bit of reading but worth a trawl.  If you go to a dealer they generally push what they get most commission/profit on - generally the line is that what we sell is the best - so believe it if you will :164: :164: :164:

https://www.revzilla.com/best-motorcycle-bluetooth-guide

Rgds Steve
« Last Edit: 08 January, 2018, 09:26:53 AM by golfsharpy12 »

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »
Thanks Steve. :028:

I've been doing a fair bit of research, unfortunately a number of the models I've been looking at (including yours) are discontinued. Therefore I think I'll be taking the plunge and going for a new(ish) model.

The short list.......

Interphone F5MC Dual £270 (some users have had problems with connecting to Zumo 660's).
Interphone Sport Twin £300
Interphone Tour Twin £363

Sena SMH10S Dual £290

Cardo Scala Rider Pack Talk Duo £340
Cardo Scala Rider Smartpack Double Pack £356

Sena appear to be the premium brand (if you believe the Americans). I know expensive isn't always the best, but I tried cheap (£50 units) a few years ago and it was money down the drain. :110:

:028:

« Last Edit: 08 January, 2018, 03:02:53 PM by phild »

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #8 on: 08 January, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »
Phil, the only thing about Sena is they seem to be flavour of the month with dealers so I suspect they are offering a higher rate of comission/margin.  also on our (Z1000SX) Forum at https://www.z1000sx.co.uk/index.php/topic,9415.20.html was this comment re the SMH10 which indicates to me that Sena are neither waterproof or secure.  One other poster on the same thread had a similar comment so all would not appear to be rosy in that garden either:

' Originally Posted by Default

I own and use both a Sena SMH10 and a Sena 20S.

I had two issues that casued me to upgrade from the smh10 to the 20s. Water resistence and physical catch.

During my last trip through france in 2016 I got caught in deluges of rain, one after another and the smh10 just stopped working. It would short in, and out, and then shutdown and then restart. At the end of each day I would try to shake out the water and dry the unit out, but even during dry spells the unit would shutdown or malfunction. Sena claim it is water resistant, I have my very real doubts.

I also had a problem with the very simple and weak catch mechanism that attaches the smh10 unit to the helmet clamp. Its a plastic snap-in mechanism that is very hard to feel when you have gloves on and is easy to knock off, as I found out in Limoges.

Long story short, I stopped at Limoges railway station to take a picture and unkown to me dislodged my smh10. Went for lunch 10 miles away and discovered my sena was missing. 4 hours later I had retraced my steps and some kind soul had picked up my smh10 unit and placed it on a wall, and no other #### had nicked it.'

Just a thought

Rgds Steve
« Last Edit: 08 January, 2018, 03:12:00 PM by golfsharpy12 »

Offline 1madboiler

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000
  • City / Town: Sunderland
« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
I have had a sena smh5 for 4 years now, never had an issue with water ingress but the battery did give up about a year ago, called sena and they said it wasnt interchangeable...bought a new battery from amazon for £6 and all still good. It is used at lease 5 days of every week.