Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing handlebar ends and cores..?  (Read 835 times)

Offline Stevewestern

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: Cornwall
Removing handlebar ends and cores..?
« on: 16 December, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
I have finally got some Barkbuster Storm hand guards, so now need to remove the old bar ends.
I (foolishly) thought it was just a case of undoing a bolt.
It isn't.

So, how do I get the old core out, and assuming I may need to remove the grips, how do I do that, and how do I replace them - what bits am I likely to need before I start /
Many thanks for any help !

Offline hondacbf

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: Removing handlebar ends and cores..?
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »
Type in the 'search'    " bar end removal "   there's info there.

Offline Stevewestern

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »
OK..
I did a search for 'how to remove bar ends and cores' but got nothing, so will try again, thanks!

I've now managed to get one out, and it seems that my next problem will be that my levers may be too long...

Offline Stevewestern

• CBF Member
« Reply #3 on: 16 December, 2017, 03:52:35 PM »
Ok, job done. Levers are not too long, but only just clear the bark busters by a couple of mm, despite me moving them as far in as possible. I had to tilt the bars back a little to keep full lock.
I may take a file to the ends of the levers to give a little more clearance for peace of mind. Not had a chance to go out on the bike yet, and still teetering on the verge of buying some Palmer brackets...
My first winter on a bike in the UK for many many years, and it's not been cheap..

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Member
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #4 on: 16 December, 2017, 05:15:02 PM »
Slightly off topic "sorry" has anyone found any two point mounting guards please, preferably that cost way less than £100, cheers
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline Stevewestern

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 16 December, 2017, 06:09:09 PM »
In a word, No.
I had been looking for some as the idea of 2 point offering some crash protection appealed, and while there are some out there I was unsure if they would fit.
I have to say that the BarkBusters Storms are fairly solidly built but then for the price so they should be.
These are the sort of alternative things I looked at - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorbike-Handguards-Motocross-Supermoto-Motorcycle/dp/B01BVQEUQQ?pd_rd_wg=5UErm&pd_rd_r=1da061d1-734e-4086-843a-4501da04ed25&pd_rd_w=8gTdK&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=JCVV3RZD11VRFMVXRTZG&pf_rd_p=14f91171-0541-58ad-938b-3aec945f4cb7

I've been stung so many times buying cheap that I swallowed the price of the 'Storms' but came close to buying some £10 cheapies off ebay just to try - still single point mountings, but I expect way less solidly built.
Good luck finding some !
« Last Edit: 16 December, 2017, 06:11:57 PM by Stevewestern »

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Stevewestern

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2017, 10:53:57 PM »
I actually looked at those very ones but didn't like the semi-transparent plastic which is why I passed them by - had I realized that they were two point mountings I might have gone for them..

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Member
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!