Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Yamaha 900 Tracer GT  (Read 2671 times)

Offline pedro

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 2008
  • City / Town: Cumbria
Re: Yamaha 900 Tracer GT
« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2019, 07:41:31 PM »
I really don't understand Honda's lineup at the moment. They simply haven't got anything like a good replacement for the CBF1000. It's no wonder that formerly committed Honda riders are looking at the Yamaha. Or even the likes of a BMW! Honda have piled a good lot of money into their supersports machine (Fireblade) but that's a shrinking market. They also seem to be spending more on smaller capacity machines. What for, in the UK I'm not sure. But you'd think the British market, where generally riders these days are (a month or three) older would welcome a proper litre sized all-rounder.

The CBF still hits the spot for me, but as time marches on, our bikes aren't getting any younger.

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2019, 04:44:19 PM »
Totally with you on this. What good is the CB1000R Neo Sports to a touring motorcyclist? I had a look at the line up when my PCP expired and came to the conclusion I would keep the CBF, everything was how I wanted it with aftermarket stuff, only 14,000 miles, so I paid the balloon payment.

The alternatives for touring were the Honda VFR 1200 (too ugly and heavy), Suzuki GSX1000 (Nice but too small passenger seat) Kawasaki SX1000(passenger seat to small, dealer too far) or Yamaha FJ1300, (too heavy, dealer too far). Don't want BMW or Triumph, (too expensive to buy and service) or Triumph (too retro),or Adventure style bikes (don't like, not enough cylinders, too tall).

Offline ushirlo

• CBF Member
  • nabijen te........
  • Bike: cbf1000f
« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2019, 05:34:05 PM »
just maybe....

ae..............

Offline simplas

• Bike: Honda CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: ?vora
« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2019, 06:37:48 PM »
Tried many candidates and in the end it was a decision between the Z1000SX and the Tracer GT.

Cruise control and quick shift made the decision easier. TFT looks nice too, despite being small.

Honda has the rather nice VFR800F and VFR800X but they do not update these models for a long time.

Offline oldtimer03

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Bucks
« Reply #14 on: 13 August, 2019, 05:38:05 PM »
Iím with you Pedro. Honda do seem to be focussing their serious R&D money elsewhere - probably on electric cars - and happy not to compete with new designs in the two-up touring bike sector. Such a shame.
I agree that the Yamaha Tracer 900GT looks good, but I think it lacks gravitas if you see what I mean. Lightweight plastic, not heavy metal. Does that make sense?
For me, the Kawasaki Versys 1000 is the nearest modern version of a biffer, but boy do you (and especially the good lady) need a stepladder to get on, and dislocating hips to get off the monster. Itís a great bike but nowhere near as easy to manage two-up as my biffer. Another biffer I saw being serviced at my local dealer had over 100,000 miles on the clock, so they are seriously built to last. I love it.

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by oldtimer03 [+]

For me, the Kawasaki Versys 1000 is the nearest modern version of a biffer, but boy do you (and especially the good lady) need a stepladder to get on, and dislocating hips to get off the monster. Itís a great bike but nowhere near as easy to manage two-up as my biffer.

I changed from a MkII to a Versys 1000 just over a year ago. Yes, it is a tall bike but the benefit of that is that it gives a better riding position and a commanding view of the road: it's like being in the cab of a Transit van! The dash is a bit jumbly and it's never going to win any beauty contests, but pretty much everything else is as good or better than the Biffer, especially the suspension and the POWER HA HA!  :007: Not at all sorry to have changed but I can see that, eventually, it might get too much for me.
« Last Edit: 16 August, 2019, 09:13:57 AM by chubbleybear »
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline HGP

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Silver CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Lanark
« Reply #16 on: 17 August, 2019, 07:38:30 AM »
I have (with mixed feelings) made the change to a Tracer 900. I have loved the 5 year relationship with my biffer but wanted somthing newer and a wee bit lighter but without dropping power. I test rode the new GT version and got on with it right away.  The higher riding position took a bit of getting used to and I had a scary moment with the extra hight when I was doing a 3 point turn when the sat nav took us down an 8 foot wide gravel track by mistake. Just back from a 1400 mile tour round Wales. Only issue I have is the hopeless standard windscreen but a replacement is due to be delivered any day.
Hopefully the CBF goes to its new owner today and I will certainly recommend the forum to him. I am sad to see it go but nothing lasts forever.
« Last Edit: 17 August, 2019, 07:41:16 AM by HGP »

Offline bonoeuf

• CBF Legend
  • County Durham UK
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: CBF600
« Reply #17 on: 23 August, 2019, 07:45:41 AM »
It seems a long time since I got rid of my CFB1000. Since I part exed it I have had a Blackbird, Triumph Tiger 1050, Triumph 1200 Explorer, Triumph Tiger 800 and I currently have a 2016 Yamaha Tracer 900. Out of all the bikes the Triumph was by far the best for me. I tour one up so no luggage issues on any of them. The 1200 TEX needed nothing extra, it was perfect out of the box, apart from one thing the reason I changed it. I am getting weaker as I get older and it started to feel too heavy. The Tracer after some changes (suspension, seat, screen) is almost as good. I have just done a 5000-mile tour to Romania. The bike was faultless and the new seat from Top Sellerie in France very comfortable even on my last 670-mile day. It is the only bike so far that I have considered replacing with the same-ish. I will probably go for the Tracer GT when I do change. The CBF1000 was a good bike and would do everything that I asked of it. For one-up touring the 800 crosstourer looks ok, Honda need to get something out there. A 1000cc lightweight sports tourer, capable of three luggage pieces and two people and in red please.
"My father taught me to work, but not to love it. I never did like to work, and I don't deny it. I'd rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh -- anything but work."
Abraham Lincoln.

Offline raYzerman

• CBF Member
  • Bike: FJR1300A CBF1000
  • City / Town: Millgrove, ON
« Reply #18 on: 13 September, 2019, 09:26:01 PM »
After owning FJR's the last 10 years, I wanted something lighter and a friend let me test his Tracer GT.  Very impressed, but I'll wait for a used one (new for 2019 here).  Test rode another and was underwhelmed somewhat...  I always liked the biffer, so test rode my friend's (again) that we bought for his wife three years ago.  So now I have one, trying to turn it into an FJR replacement..... the good news, it's working.  Love this thing, smooth, power, a nice sport tourer.  Not ruling out the Tracer until I ride one again, even eyeing up an FZ1.  But, I can tell you it's going to take something to get me off this Biffer.  Next question is, what happens if I ride a mkII... is that an upgrade or ??

Offline simplas

• Bike: Honda CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: ?vora
« Reply #19 on: 14 September, 2019, 10:14:08 PM »
At the parking lot of my work: