Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Different wheels  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
Re: Different wheels
« Reply #10 on: 10 December, 2017, 02:20:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
If you don’t mind me asking, how much does it cost?  :002:

Sorry Phild, just saw this, I had the wheels powdercoated via a prize run on the bird site, but my eldest has had his done and they were about £50 a wheel, each Powder coater has a price and dependant on where you are, it's normally around that price, or you can try and do a deal with them, most want work at this time of year,  and as Davidjg says tape is a lot cheaper, as it's not just just the powder coating, it'll be the replacing bearings "a good time if your bike's done that many miles to get scabby wheels as well" paint however can be done with tyres in situ, deflate the tyre, mask, and off you go!!
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #11 on: 10 December, 2017, 02:23:51 PM »
Many thanks.  :028:

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
« Reply #12 on: 10 December, 2017, 03:12:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
Many thanks.  :028:

I had my painting done by "Taffy" that lives in Caldicot South Wales, he has done many many bikes paintwork and servicing for our group as well as custom paint, I can let you have his number if it helps, via pm!! 
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #13 on: 10 December, 2017, 03:16:05 PM »
Not thinking of having it done immediately, just having a look around at prices etc. :028:

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #14 on: 17 December, 2017, 12:39:41 PM »

Well, I think this looks smart and being hi-vis, the rim tape shows up really well.

I have experimented with both the curved section type and the continuous type on a reel dispenser. I can very much recommend the latter type. There are plenty of you-tube videos showing how to do it. My tips would be

1. Make sure the rim is REALLY clean.

2. Make sure the tape and wheel are warm as it will come off the reel better and stick better too. Right now is not a great time to do this unless you have a heated garage or can bring the bike indoors. :114: :231:

3. Get someone to turn the wheel while you put the tape on. It's a helluva lot easier with two people.

4. Don't pull the tape off the reel too hard; it'll stretch and you'll make a mess of it. Be gentle and patient.

4. If you get halfway round a wheel and make a mess, just cut it and restart.

5. I recommend overlapping joins as there is always a little relaxation of the tape after fitting and if you do a butt joint, you'll likely end up with a gap :023:

6. There's usually enough tape on a reel to do about 4 and 2/3 sides (17" wheel), so don't worry if you waste a few inches getting started.

7. Use a paddock stand or a weight on the pillion seat to lift the front wheel off the deck. It's so much easier.

8. Don't buy really cheap stuff, it'll do your blood pressure no good at all. I've found Oxford pretty good.
« Last Edit: 17 December, 2017, 12:45:55 PM by chubbleybear »
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
« Reply #15 on: 17 December, 2017, 11:33:04 PM »
That looks quite good actually,  :028: I think I'll give some a go on the boss's bike, silver hornet with black wheels, silver trim should set it off well, and having practised on hers  :015: if I like it may go for Red on my red bike!! :156:

Offline KTM AL

• City / Town: Southwater
« Reply #16 on: 06 February, 2018, 06:35:03 AM »

Hi As many have suggested the change of colour to the wheels can transform the bike like my old SRAD 750, best not go too mad on a CBF though.