Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My first 'BIG' bike  (Read 643 times)

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
Re: My first 'BIG' bike
« Reply #10 on: 04 December, 2017, 09:38:51 AM »
 :401:
Good choice in bike
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #11 on: 04 December, 2017, 06:57:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mutley167 [+]
Hi,
Thanks for the advice. I'm a sensible driver/rider with 0 points, full no-claims and I've never broken a bone and I intend to keep it that way. It's all about the ride for me, although there's no denying the thrill you get when you wind the throttle back, I want to enjoy the journey rather than get there as quick as possible. The cbf is so easy to ride, but also has the thrill, it feels like the perfect balance to me.

Retford is in North Nottinghamshire so has pretty good access to the Peak District, Lincolnshire and North Yorkshire.

I learnt a hell of a lot doing the theory test and mod1-2 which I didn't know before, so I feel like a better driver as well now. To be honest I think everyone should do a refresher every 10 years, to get rid of the bad habits we all build up. We have refresh training in every other walk of life don't we.

One thing I have noticed is that I see a lot more drivers using mobile phones when I'm on a bike because the visibility is so better and this is my biggest bug bear as drivers don't seem to give a s**t. And why don't they use their in built Bluetooth? I think the penalty needs to be tougher.

Martyn
:460:  :0461: with all the above  :028:

Offline darylB

• Bike: CBF 1000GT
  • City / Town: SHREWSBURY
« Reply #12 on: 11 December, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
Hi,  :046:, good choice of bike, I'm sure you will not regret buying the CBF1000, they are a terrific bike, much underrated by many people. I'd just like to put forward one other piece of advice for you to consider, and that's an advanced riding course. I was recommended the IAM advanced training when I got back into biking after a long layoff, it's definitely the best money I spent since getting the bike. I am now a National observer for our local group and find it rewarding to think I am helping others to get even more enjoyment from their bikes while being a lot safer. Contact your local group and ask them all about it, it will be the best £149.00 you ever spend, if you talk to them nicely they will probably offer a free assessment to see what you think before you spend your money.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #13 on: 12 December, 2017, 08:10:15 AM »
I'd been riding over 30 years before I went to IAM at the age of 50 - it improved my riding 100%
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 FAC
  • City / Town: Geneva
« Reply #14 on: 12 December, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »
I came back to biking after about a 30-year pause and was fortunate that the Swiss require all "new riders" - e.g. those without a motorcycle endorsement on their license - to take a practical training course in preparation for an exam. We practiced low speed maneuvers, emergency stopping, etc. and it was very, very useful. Then went on a training day that was sponsored by the French motorcycle police where we rode in small groups with a monitor. Interesting thing was they told us just to ride and not to worry about speed as they would be bringing us on roads with no cameras. Each rider would take a turn leading for 15 minutes or so and then we would stop as a group for a debrief. The monitor was looking for braking patterns, how we negotiated corners, shaved off speed, etc. with a view to helping us correct habits that might get us into trouble. Very, very valuable. It was a surreal experience to pass cars at twice the legal speed limit with a police bike on your tail. I will take a similar course next year and am sure to learn a lot.
Montblanc

Offline Brickit

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-7
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #15 on: 12 December, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »
The CBF 1000 is an ideal bike for returnees and the more mature newly qualified. Plenty of low mileage,  lovingly cared for examples out there, at very reasonable prices!
I came back to biking after 40 years at 62, bought a Biffer which I kept for 5 years and have nothing but praise for it. Strongly recommend you go for the IAM training. Also suggest you carry a new stator, an 8mm ring spanner and Honda toolkit round with you. Do those two things and the world is your oyster. I did 25k safe miles, only interrupted by the two duff stators.
I've moved on to a Kawasaki Z1000sx now. Rather more powerful, lots of fun, but with faults that just were just not an issue on the Biffer.
Enjoy.  :002:

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #16 on: 12 December, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brickit [+]
I've moved on to a Kawasaki Z1000sx now. Rather more powerful, lots of fun, but with faults that just were just not an issue on the Biffer.

And the faults with the Kwacker are??  :465:

Only asking cos tempted to go green  :mfrlol:

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
« Reply #17 on: 12 December, 2017, 09:30:37 PM »
What sort of faults? My brother is looking at that bike. If you have specifics, please share. Thanks!
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline Brickit

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 A-7
  • City / Town: Exeter
« Reply #18 on: 13 December, 2017, 01:23:22 AM »
I'm not going to give you a faults only view of the Z1000sx but I'll try and give a balanced picture.
First, have a test drive. Compared to the Biffer you'll notice the power, different balance of the bike, especially going into corners, and it will seem very low, almost toy like. The centre of gravity seemed lower to me. That was my first impression. Slow riding is easier but interestingly, the lock isn't as good, so slow turning circle is wider.
The extra power is really obvious and to me is just brilliant; 96.5 hp to 138bhp and 69 to 81ft/lb torque is a pretty big jump. There are various  electronic gismos on my 2015 model to help you manage this, but you do have to concentrate and practice to stay safe. Overtaking is just so quick and easy, but acceleration can cause problems, especially if trying to steer with a very light front wheel or if other drivers don't anticipate your actions. Call me young at heart, but handling the power, keeping the riding smooth and progressive but safe are real challenges that I'm just loving.
Now back on track. Fuel consumption is slightly worse than the Biffer. 200 miles on 19 litres and we are gasping, whilst before I would get 220miles. Chain and tyre wear can be worse, but it depends how you drive! The rear tyre is a 190 rather than a 170, ie its wider. Cornering and braking are better on the Z1000. Suspension front and rear is fully adjustable for preload and compression so more to adjust, but get it right and it is like riding on rails. I had ABS on both models and would recommend it.
Seating position is upright as on the Biffer but I had trouble with the stock seat. I'm 6ft 2ins and numb bum set in quite quickly. I've had to buy a Sargent seat and for long trips an Airhawk as well! With both those I can travel 8 hours a day forever. The problem for me was that the stock seat pushes you forward into the fuel tank, so your arms get tired and all your weight is taken on two pin bones, which gets very uncomfortable.  Another little problem is that the bike is not very passenger friendly, as the stock passenger seat is pretty minimal and the handgrips don't give much to hang on to under quicker acceleration. A body belt grip would be a must.
The stock Kawasaki windscreen is similar to the stock Honda screen. Some buffeting but not awful. I fitted a MRA screen to the Biffer and the Puig screen does the same for the Kawasaki.
A couple of bonus points for the Biffer coming up. The Z1000 doesn't have a centre stand.  When you haven't got one you realize just how important they are. Also, the Z1000sx has a nasty habit of throwing road dirt up from the back wheel and depositing it down your back! I've got a hugger but it doesn't stop this problem. You can get a shield that fixes under the number plate, but these can get trapped on the tyre so I haven't bothered.
I've got the standard Kawasaki side panniers. They are OK, but an awkward shape, so don't hold as much as you would think. You can fit a fixed rear pannier, but it sits rather far back and looks rather odd. I've got a 5 litre tank bag which suits me fine . If I went touring with a tent etc, a waterproof rear carrier strapped to the rear seat and across the panniers would be fine.
The lights are about equivalent to the Biffer, so I have upgraded to LEDs and these are fantastic. There are spare electric sockets in the  wiring in the front and rear fairings for sat nav, heated grips etc. All very similar.
Build quality seems to be pretty similar too, but on the Z1000sx, there are no stator issues:046:
I've been keeping a eye on the Z1000sx forum since buying the bike and it is active and excellent. If there were any obvious flaws in this bike they would be easy to spot there. The topics covered most seem to be upgrading lights, new exhausts, power commanders, maintenance tips, screens, seats, insurance, new models etc. All the standard stuff.
 The Z1000sx is slightly on its own, in that it is not an adventure style bike and it is not a sports/racer. I don't want to go off-road so adventure doesn't appeal to me. I'm too old for the lean forward sports bike, so the Biffer and SX are both ideal for me. I'm just loving the sheer exhilaration of riding this bike. Planning a trip down Italy and across to Greece and back for next September. Can't wait.

Offline Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Taking a Sabatical - Hasta la vista
  • Bike: CBF1000 MK1
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #19 on: 13 December, 2017, 07:42:48 AM »

I've been keeping a eye on the Z1000sx forum.

https://www.z1000sx.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=4fd1c3704d11b49c5c9bcdc935a4d170&action=forum

The forum looks to have a very familiar about it.  Could it be another of 'Big Bears' stable of biker sites :027:.