Author Topic: ABS plastic repairs - advice needed  (Read 3347 times)

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
Re: ABS plastic repairs - advice needed
Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2017, 09:13:11 PM
Andy - this is what 2 broken fittings look like :
I'm starting to think epoxy putty may be the answer

Rgds Steve

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #11 on: 24 November, 2017, 08:29:25 AM
Hi Steve

They look a bit jiggered.  Now I understand a bit better what you are talking about so tnx for the pics.

Option 1:  Black Friday deals, Curry's have a 13 place Beko DW on offer at 200  :164:

Option 2:  Pay Beko 80 :013:

Option 3:  Any 3rd party manufacturer cheaper on parts ? :027:

Option 4:  Repair it :188:.  I thought you may have been talking about metal panels where the self tappers no longer hold - obviously not :191:.   If there is nothing obstructing the block bit that is broken then I can't see why, after all traces of grease have been removed and the surface is well scored for adhesion, that you could not use an large blob of epoxy paste and set into it a metal 'nut' thingi along the lines of one or more that I put in my pic so that any self tapper will not pull out of the putty (i.e. body filler.  Some of these body fillers are designed to withstand screws being screwed (what else :164:) into it such as Ronseal 'High Performance' (yea right) Wood Filler which seems to be like Isopon P38 with sawdust in it .   I have actually used this on repairing self assembly kitchen door cupboards where the hinge screws into the chip board/MDF and the screws held for years.  Isopon make a fibre strand reinforced body filler called P40 that may work - it fills large gaps/voids very well. 

Whatever epoxy filler you use, if it would help, I am happy to put a couple of metal self tapping clips into a jiffy bag - send me a PM with your address.  This may be a good option so all you then have to worry about is the epoxy sticks to the plastic of the WM lid.  As regards the 'smaller' repair I think one of the cylindrical retainers set into epoxy as Ant has done (yellow lego melt) would most likely work.

Andy
 :149:
Last Edit: 24 November, 2017, 08:42:28 AM by Bifferman

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
Reply #12 on: 24 November, 2017, 09:27:18 AM
Thanks for the kind offer Andy - I had considered the Black Friday option but as we will be moving out of this house (it's not mine) in approx 1 year when I retire from the Service so not keen to invest in a new machine as our own house has a lovely built in Bosch DW and we will just end up ditching most of the contents, plus I hate to see a perfectly working machine ditched with a year to go when all it need is minor fettling. And the tight Northern Irishman in me objects to paying Beko 80 for a 14 inch piece of ABS. So repair it is. I will drop you a PM and will probably try setting a self tapper clip in some abs soup.

Thanks everyone for the proffered advice and assistance - the one advantage of having been a CBF owner is that the Forum is a brilliant source of information and sage advice  - and not just biking.

Rgds Steve
Last Edit: 24 November, 2017, 09:44:11 AM by golfsharpy12

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #13 on: 24 November, 2017, 11:13:37 AM
In tonight's post.  The satisfaction of repairing something (an increasingly lost art in the western world :012:) far outweighs forking out moolah and adding to the Worlds rubbish dumps (or fly tipping on road verges :232:).

Best of luck with the repair.

Andy
:149:

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
Reply #14 on: 24 November, 2017, 12:43:14 PM
 Many thanks Andy.  It's much better to repair as I must admit I hate the throw away society that we have morphed into.

Rgds Steve