Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best bike Satnav?  (Read 7728 times)

Online phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Best bike Satnav?
« Reply #90 on: 13 June, 2018, 01:16:51 PM »
Just been emailed by Sportsbike Direct.

Garmin can find no faults, they want to send it back to me. :187:

Iíve asked for their report, inspection job number etc so I can speak to Garmin direct.

Looks like Iím going to have to fight to get my money back. I wasnít dreaming the issues with the unit, so I want to know exactly what tests were done on it.

:110:

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #91 on: 15 June, 2018, 07:08:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
Iím no expert with Basecamp, but over 6 years Iíd mastered what I wanted out of doing my routes. I had plenty of waypoints, but on two of my routes Iíd pass a waypoint and the unit would then start trying to send me back to it. Normally if I missed a waypoint (if I decided to take a slightly different route) it would ask if I want to skip it........not on two of my routes. In the end I just had to ignore the dam thing and use my own route notes. There were other routes glitches as well, like trying to send me on motorways when I hadnít even programmed them in.
In Basecamp, ddid you set your waypoints to Don't Alert on Arrival (shaping points)?
This is the only way I know to get the satnav to ignore waypoints you've already by-passed.

Online phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #92 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:19:01 AM »
Mike, usually what happens on the 595, which didnít happen on my 660, is that if you miss a waypoint for whatever reason it asks if you want to skip that point.

Sometimes Iíd press yes to skip, but it continued to try and direct me back to it. Over the near three weeks we were in Spain, there were so many glitches l ended up using my own route cards on a good percentage of our rides.

I do have a further update to my saga, but Iím waiting for more info before a further update.  :028:

Online phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #93 on: 15 June, 2018, 09:50:19 PM »
Final update (I hope).

Firstly Iíve been promised a refund, waiting for funds to go into my bank, but I had to threaten Section 75, Trading Standards or County Court.

In brief, I have emails from SportsBikeShop, stating that the Sat Nav will be sent to Garmin UK for inspection, repairs or to recommend a refund.

A few days ago I received an email telling me the Unit had been inspected and no faults found. I asked SportsBikeShop to supply me with the Garmin job number, inspection report and any other paperwork relating to me returned unit. Another email came back telling me this wasnít possible, but they supplied me with the name and a mobile number of the guy who looked at my unit.

That didnít sound right, so I rang Garmin UK and asked them..........they informed me they had no record of my unit being sent to them, and they certainly wouldnít deal with it on a mobile phone. I tried the number, got an answer phone, left a message but no one got back to me.

I put this to SportBikeShopís Customer Service Manager, who informed me that he had only just found out that company procedures had changed, and units WERE NOT sent to Garmin for inspections or repairs. In fact they are sent to SportBikeShopís wholesale suppliers for inspection and repairs!

Obviously a bloke in a warehouse somewhere with a screwdriver?

Anyway, I was told that he was Garmin trained and authorised, and has all the right equipment (Yer, right). Also, this is how Garmin want it done.

So, if you buy a Sat Nav from SportBikeShop and have problems with it, donít expect it to reach Garmin UK for inspection or repair.

Iíve emailed Garmin UK with my findings.

Iíve used SportBikeShop several times over the years and have had a great service. However, you never know how good a company is until things go wrong.

:110:
« Last Edit: 15 June, 2018, 09:52:31 PM by phild »

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
« Reply #94 on: 01 July, 2018, 10:25:22 PM »
Probably better off making a day out of it and riding over to their offices in Southampton Phil (I' can give you directions if you need them  :018:).
When I had problems with my Sony action cam, I visited Sony's UK headquarters to get it sorted. Much better service as companies don't like disgruntled customers on their doorstep...

Online phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #95 on: 02 July, 2018, 08:16:26 AM »
Thanks Mike.
I got a comprehensive reply from Garmin. They explained that more and more companies are choosing to send faulty units to their own suppliers for inspections and repairs, rather than sending them to Garmin.

I still havenít replaced the 595 yet. If I could guarantee the battery and software issues have been sorted, I try one again. The reviews for the new TomTomís appear not to be over enthusiastic either.

I did get a full refund from the shop.  :028:
« Last Edit: 02 July, 2018, 08:41:57 AM by phild »

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
« Reply #96 on: 02 July, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
...more and more companies are choosing to send faulty units to their own suppliers for inspections and repairs, rather than sending them to Garmin....
Glad you got your money back.
I was also shocked to find my Samsung S7 Edge was fixed by the Carphone Warehouse goon squad instead of returned to Samsung when the battery expanded during warranty.

diverse-leafy