Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best bike Satnav?  (Read 8144 times)

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
Re: Best bike Satnav?
« Reply #20 on: 22 November, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by chubbleybear [+]
:003:
OK, so what is/are the difference(s) between the 550 and 660?

Chubbly, I have had both - and there are differences:

The 660 has a faster processor - so it's just a tad smoother.
The 660 has a wider screen and seems to be a touch easier to read.
The 660 can have a bar at the side with very useful info on it like time to destination, distance to destination, max speed and is all customisable. The 550 has some if that but it's dotted around the screen.
The 660 mounting kit has a long lead that ends up under the seat. Therefore the connections are even more waterproof than the 550 which has all the connections on the side of the unit.
The 660 mount has the pins vertically. The 550 has them horizontally and can collect water if you leave it open.
The 550 has a pin cover which stays on the bike when a sat nav is plugged in - as long as the rubber connector hasn't snapped. The 660 has a removable cover which you can lose (although replacements are cheap enough).
The 660 has more internal memory and uses a micro-sd card for expansion. The 550 uses a full size SD card.
They both use the old NT maps which are updated twice a year as opposed to the new style maps which are updated 4 times a year. In reality, twice a year is good enough.

Both are good sat-navs but I would never go back to a 550 having had my 660 now.

You can get loads of info here http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum

Does that help?

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #21 on: 22 November, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »
I haven't started to play with my Tom Tom 450, but I do want to use it in two cars as well. It looks to me as if the (expensive) car mounting kit has a 'sticky pad to sit on the dashboard, whereas my Garmin 550 has a windscreen sucker mount allowing it to be moved from car to car. Am I right? or is there a windscreen mounting for the Tom Tom?
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Art

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2006 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #22 on: 22 November, 2017, 10:43:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by alan sh [+]
There are really only 2 options: Garmin or Tomtom (I'm ignoring phones in "waterproof" holders....)

Garmin - has lifetime maps, you can add speed camera locations and other POI's, has a wired or bluetooth connection to some form of headset (Sena, Autocom etc.), comes with a PC or MAC program to design and download routes, keeps a record of where you've been. Comes with fittings for every circumstance. Slightly harder than TT to use until you get used to how it "thinks".

TomTom - has lifetime maps (I think), you cannot add any extra POI's (like speed cameras) and are reliant on TomTom to provide them. Only has Bluetooth connectivity. Relies on you using something like TYRE to program from a PC (Which personally, I don't like, but others swear by it). Doesn't keep record of your routes (tracks) and, on some models, you have to pay extra for power kits.

Point of order, point of order I have a TomTom Rider and..

Yes it has lifetime maps
Yes you can add extra POI's
Yes TomTom is bluetooth compatible with Sena, Autocom etc.
No you're not reliant on TomTom for speed cameras or any other POI's
TomTom is packaged with a free full copy of Tyre Pro however, I don't use it. I prefer planning my routes and compiling POI's on the PC using ITNConverter. Either way it's a simple download to the TomTom unit via MyDrive. ITNConverter is also Garmin compatible (as well as many other GPS devices) and is as good as if not better than Garmin's Base Camp in my opinion.
Yes TomTom can record and save routes.
Yes comes complete with mount and power supply.

There is no difference, that I can see, between the functions of the Garmin and TomTom, anything one can do so can the other. Is there a benefit of one over the other?

Well yes one of them is properly over priced.

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #23 on: 23 November, 2017, 09:20:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Art [+]
Point of order, point of order I have a TomTom Rider and..

Yes it has lifetime maps
Yes you can add extra POI's
Yes TomTom is bluetooth compatible with Sena, Autocom etc.
No you're not reliant on TomTom for speed cameras or any other POI's
TomTom is packaged with a free full copy of Tyre Pro however, I don't use it. I prefer planning my routes and compiling POI's on the PC using ITNConverter. Either way it's a simple download to the TomTom unit via MyDrive. ITNConverter is also Garmin compatible (as well as many other GPS devices) and is as good as if not better than Garmin's Base Camp in my opinion.
Yes TomTom can record and save routes.
Yes comes complete with mount and power supply.

There is no difference, that I can see, between the functions of the Garmin and TomTom, anything one can do so can the other. Is there a benefit of one over the other?

Well yes one of them is properly over priced.

:460: :0461:

I have a Garmin 660  and use the tyre and ITN converter along with Google maps - beats the crap out of Basecamp which is possibly the clumsiest piece of software since The Hobbit on my Sinclair Spectrum (back in 1989).  I also use Sygic on a smartphone which is brilliant and works well with Tyre and ITN - Sygic uses TT default maps and graphics.  The 660 is a good unit but a bit old and clunky - works well though and the screen -especially in sunlight is much better than the 550.   

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #24 on: 23 November, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »
Sena?
Autocom?
Tyre Pro?
My Drive?
ITN Converter?
Sygic?
Base camp?
TT default?

:087: :087: :087:

Think I'll just buy a new map instead ..... :012:
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #25 on: 23 November, 2017, 09:57:21 AM »
 :431: That sounds very churlish and ungrateful for all your input, which is sincerely appreciated.

But all I want is something like SWMBO's car Navigon: enter a postcode and it takes you there, press 'Take me home' and it does. Simples!

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #26 on: 23 November, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »
:431: That sounds very churlish and ungrateful for all your input, which is sincerely appreciated.

But all I want is something like SWMBO's car Navigon: enter a postcode and it takes you there, press 'Take me home' and it does. Simples!

If that's all you want - the 550 would be fine - the 660 better.  All the other crap relates to planning custom routes and the ability for it to talk to you via Bluetooth to your helmet (Sena and Scala rider etc).  If you are not using Bluetooth then the 660 is far better than the 550 as the screen is bigger and it has better resolution.  However, i would not use a satnav without Bluetooth as it will take your eyes off the road - which on a bike is not a good thing at all.   

One further note - if you like nice curvy roads that suit a bike, then a more modern Satnav that has the twisty roads function is a great thing as it takes you home but with the option of over far nicer roads than if you go straight A-B.
« Last Edit: 23 November, 2017, 10:07:40 AM by golfsharpy12 »

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #27 on: 23 November, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »

Amazingly both will do that! And if you want to get adventuresome you can even decide whether you want to avoid motorways or pay for toll roads! Like you, all these abbreviations are meaningless, and even after many years of ownership I've never managed to plan a route very successfully on my Garmin 550, and often have to get help to download updated maps as either my computer 'freezes', or my Garmin refuses to co-operate.

Still as soon as I've had a couple of Brandies, rolled up my sleeves, wrapped a wet towel around my head, and if necessary stripped down to the waist - I'll open my Tom Tom 450 box and 'engage'.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #28 on: 23 November, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
To be fair the thread was titled "Best bike Satnav?"
You could use a smartphone in your pocket speaking to you through in-ear headphones
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #29 on: 23 November, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »
I could...if I had a Smartphone.  :006:

« Last Edit: 23 November, 2017, 11:54:27 AM by chubbleybear »