Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best bike Satnav?  (Read 8149 times)

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
Best bike Satnav?
« on: 19 November, 2017, 05:10:21 PM »
I do enjoy getting lost on the bike: it's a great way to find new places....and there's so many of them, there's

Lost
Completely Lost
Totally Lost
Utterly Lost
F!"£$%^ Lost
Where-the-Hell

I'm sure you've all found many others  :008:

But occasionally, I want to get somewhere particular and also sometimes I get into trouble with SWMBO for getting home late  :231:

So she's offered to get me a Satnav for Xmas. I've done a search but there is nothing really relevant and/or recent that I've managed so find, so any thoughts?  I just want a fairly basic model that will work with gloved hands.

:465:
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Best bike Satnav?
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »
I donít use mine for music, the bloody phone or any other bolt on. However, my Zumo 660 only lets me down due to operator error.

Itís been all over Europe and the UK, on the bike and in the car, giving great service. Easy to transfer routes from my computer, using Basecamp, to the unit.

After a long dayís ride thereís nothing better than being led directed to the front door of your hotel.

Wonít be without it. :028:

Offline JonesTheBass

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »
I'm a long time Tomtom user and got a Rider 410 package last year. I just the love the "plan a thrill" option; just select a location and it plans a route there and a different one back. Set the "hilly 1-3" and "windy 1-3" setting, pick "winding route" and it will throw in some farm/fire/green lane sections as well. I just turn down the hilly setting if it's wet.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »
Unless Iím completely stumped I only follow the routes Iíve planned myself (but Iíve always got my maps with me).

Bolt on bits usually baffle me, so I just stick to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). :001:

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2017, 06:12:55 PM »
 :0461:

I'm not interested in phone or music, just directions! Probably couldn't connect my Dim Phone anyway, I'm not saying it's old, but there's a dial on the front and you have to ask the operator for trunk calls  :008: :008:

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2017, 09:15:24 PM »
Im a Garmin man myself  :159: used the 550 all over the place, loved it, and now just use it in the truck, the 660 is now weapon of choice for both my girlfriend and me!! with the Senna's connected we can hear each other  :161: and the directions, 550's are cheap now on the bay of thieves, make sure the maps are up to date!!   
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #6 on: 20 November, 2017, 07:35:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ianrobbo1 [+]
Im a Garmin man myself  :159: used the 550 all over the place, loved it, and now just use it in the truck, the 660 is now weapon of choice for both my girlfriend and me!! with the Senna's connected we can hear each other  :161: and the directions, 550's are cheap now on the bay of thieves, make sure the maps are up to date!!

Talk to each other? No, no, no! :005:

My wife rides her own bike, having followed me all around Europe, we like our own time on our bikes. Plenty of time to talk over a beer at the end of each day. :001:

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
There are really only 2 options: Garmin or Tomtom (I'm ignoring phones in "waterproof" holders....)

Garmin - has lifetime maps, you can add speed camera locations and other POI's, has a wired or bluetooth connection to some form of headset (Sena, Autocom etc.), comes with a PC or MAC program to design and download routes, keeps a record of where you've been. Comes with fittings for every circumstance. Slightly harder than TT to use until you get used to how it "thinks".

TomTom - has lifetime maps (I think), you cannot add any extra POI's (like speed cameras) and are reliant on TomTom to provide them. Only has Bluetooth connectivity. Relies on you using something like TYRE to program from a PC (Which personally, I don't like, but others swear by it). Doesn't keep record of your routes (tracks) and, on some models, you have to pay extra for power kits.

To me, it's a no brainer - Garmin every time, but I need the wired connectivity and the ability to update my speed cameras from external sources. But TT ones are good - just not good enough.
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2017, 02:41:06 PM »
Thanks ever-so-much for that Alan, that's exactly the sort of info I need to make a decision.  :028:

Now, who can explain to me iin words of one syllable the differences between the Zumo 550 and 660  :087:

As far as I can see, the 550 is the earlier, cheaper and simpler version....or am I missing something?  :084:

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #9 on: 20 November, 2017, 02:45:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by chubbleybear [+]
Thanks ever-so-much for that Alan, that's exactly the sort of info I need to make a decision.  :028:

Now, who can explain to me iin words of one syllable the differences between the Zumo 550 and 660  :087:

As far as I can see, the 550 is the earlier, cheaper and simpler version....or am I missing something?  :084:

In a word NO!! and had I realised the difference was so small I wouldnt have bought the 660, BTW the girlfriend rides her own bike and we really only "talk" when she needs fuel or wants to point out something "pretty"!!  :015:
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 17 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!