Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spark plugs  (Read 253 times)

Offline cbrog

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
Spark plugs
« on: 14 November, 2017, 08:07:56 AM »
Morning all , I am planning to change the plugs soon and have read they can be a bit of a B****r to change ?
2 quick questions , standard honda or other ? and how easy or not is the job ? :183:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Spark plugs
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
Wrong questions (like asking what oil or tyres to use ....)

Take your time (you do have plenty don't you?), don't rush it.

Have the proper SP spanner in your hand.
Don't fill up beforehand - indeed, run it low as you dare.
Be very, very careful with those HT leads.
Do 'other' jobs there if you need to.
Be very, very careful not to trap anything as you put it all back.  Then recheck what you have trapped and sort it out.

Plugs, I'd go for the genuine article myself NGKs IRM8C-9HES, but you knew I'd say that.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #2 on: 14 November, 2017, 09:23:55 PM »
And if you get Iridium plugs you probably won't have to do them again. They also claim to make starting easier, which anecdotally seems to be the case.
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2017, 05:49:00 AM »
I had to remove the electrical grounds (a set of some green wires) that were mounted just above #3 (the difficult one).
It gave more way to lift #3.
While lifting, I rotated #3 also quite a bit, for this I had to re-route the spark plug HT lead from I believe left to the right side of the bike (rider view). doing that, bending the wire should be monitored as not too sharp as possible. I don't know if others do same #3 rotating, I guess they do. Maybe I had not the best idea?
Of course the leads are discon from the coils.

https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,20461.msg247698.html#msg247698
It's a challenge but you're simply forced to work trough it, and eventually it works, also depends how much of Magiver factor you have.  :007:
You have the honda plug wrench I hope.
Once caps removed I blowed the holes with air pressure, stuff came out. Only then removing plugs from the block, but I presume this is basics, so just saying.
 :031:

Offline Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Taking a Sabatical - Hasta la vista
  • Bike: CBF1000 MK1
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2017, 09:46:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
And if you get Iridium plugs you probably won't have to do them again. They also claim to make starting easier, which anecdotally seems to be the case.

cbrog, :0461: completely.   It may be worth you searching 'iridium plugs' in an advanced search under member 'Trefoil' who did a detailed review of iridium plugs after he fitted his many years ago.  Tref was a well respected member from way back who was known for his thoroughness and common sense posts and had his head well screwed on ta boot.  Lots of other posts/threads on the subject incl my views of how I found iridium plugs, didn't notice as much as Trefoil but I changed mine in Oct 2010 at 9k miles for Iridium plugs, and had them out at Sept 2015 for a check to see how they were getting on.

In terms of wear:  First the OEM plugs the electrodes at 9K miles were hardly worn at all, the gaps would not have needed re-setting had I put the plugs back and the plug colour was spot on.  Based on my OEM plugs when I swapped them for the Iridium's and if your engine/FI is otherwise in good nick I would expect the OEM plug life to significantly outlast the 16k miles recommended replacement period.    The Iridium plugs are still on the bike 7 years later and are doing absolutely fine.   The main difference I noticed was that I haven't flooded the bike even once since using the Iridium plugs.  I did remove them as part part of my service routing to check after 5 years and 5K miles later and the plug colour was again perfect, the electrodes likewise as was the gap (not easy to re-gap an iridium plug as the central electrode is very thin and, I suppose, might snap off if you do not take care). 

The Iridium plugs were still like like new.  They are rated as having a 30K+mile life span and even Honda on the MKII which uses Iridium plugs as OEM state 16k miles for a check and 32k miles to replace.  The MKI and MKII engines are not so different that I would have any concern in changing to Iridium's on the MKI, frankly I think it is a complete no brainer to do so.  Just make sure you get the right ones, the MKI Iridium is not quite the same as that used in theMKII according to the NGK chart, although I suspect either will probably work.  I paid c.£6 each NGK plug, for some reason the one specified for the MKI were considerably cheaper than those specified for the MKII - don't know why :187:.

As regards changing the plugs it is definitely something that most people can undertake.  However it is a bit of a pig of a task because there is not much room to get at the centre plugs.  You MUST take great care when pulling the HT leads (actually the long plug caps) off the plugs especially the third plug (counting from the left as you sit on the bike) as this is the lead/cap that usually gives the most trouble re hairline cracks - so if after replacing you plugs you start to notice the off misfire you could wager a wellington that the third lead/plug cap will need replacing.  You will also find it difficult to fit an ordinary spark plug socket down the hole to the plug partly because it (the hole) is exceptionally narrow and also getting some leverage to loosen the plug might be tricky, depending on the plug socket you have.  The plug spanner that came with your tool kit was made for the job.  The dealer changed the plugs over for me in 2010 and when I removed the Iridium's for checking in 2015 I had the tank removed which gave me more manoeuvring room but the job can be done just by lifting the tank.

Andy
 :149:
« Last Edit: 15 November, 2017, 10:20:04 AM by Bifferman »

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2017, 03:08:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by J-man [+]
...Of course the leads are discon from the coils....
I mean the coils are disconnected from the frame  :034:  :164:

Offline Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Taking a Sabatical - Hasta la vista
  • Bike: CBF1000 MK1
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2017, 03:22:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by J-man [+]
I mean the coils are disconnected from the frame  :034:  :164:

But that is what I thought you meant all along Monsieur Poirot :028: