Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mk1 light bulb  (Read 2313 times)

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Mk1 light bulb
« on: 19 October, 2017, 02:42:29 PM »
The headlight bulb on my Mk1 is a single filament lightbulb (high beam is on the other side) it needs replacing and I have two questions

(1) is it do-able without fairing removal ?

(2) what's the name (type) of bulb with a single filament ?.............. I've never bought one before
« Last Edit: 19 October, 2017, 02:53:23 PM by ivor hugh jarse »
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Re: Mk1 light bulb
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »
great I ordered a yellow bulb
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2017, 09:34:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by ivor hugh jarse [+]
The headlight bulb on my Mk1 is a single filament lightbulb (high beam is on the other side) it needs replacing and I have two questions

(1) is it do-able without fairing removal ?    Some say no and in fact have done so.  However it is much easier if you do remove the upper fairings and it also reduces the risk getting crud and finger grease on the bulb glass (shortens bulb life significantly).  While you are at it, if someone hasn't already done this before you then take a pair of pliers to the main beam vertical adjuster which are always very still when the bike came from Italy and need loosening off before you can adjust the vertical beam setting with your fingers.   

(2) what's the name (type) of bulb with a single filament ?.............. I've never bought one before    Have you not downloaded the Honda Service Manual - tells you in there as indeed it does here if you to search on here - Save you a job though - it as an H7 - same for dip and main beam. 

Consider also replacing with a high performance (still 55w) bulb such as the Phillips Extreme +130 or Osram Nightbreaker from autobulbs direct or similar.  Cost a bit more than the OEM bulb but is very much brighter.  So you know, the brightness comes at the cost of longevity but what price safety by having an improved light output. 

If you are feeling adventurous then try replacing with HID bulbs (4,300kelvin for whitest light but not higher than a 35w ballast because the electrics sometimes strugglse igniting a 50W ballast).  HID's are a revelation and relatively easy to fit, do not effect your MOT unless they are out of alignment as would be the case anyway for an incandescent bulb.  Some have tried using LED bulbs with varying degrees of success (they run extremely HOT) but my personal view is that HID's still rule.  Loads written on here for replacement bulbs and fitting HID's including discussions on 'warm up time' for HID's - which actually is not a problem.

Did you know that there is also a horizontal adjustment for each of the dip and main beams - you do need to remove the upper fairings though to get to those adjusters.

« Last Edit: 20 October, 2017, 09:39:00 AM by Bifferman »

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2017, 08:52:14 PM »
Thats that was great information

For the amount of dark riding I do the lights are fine (riding home when I get caught out  late) my Thundercat had a candle in the headlight so the Biffer is bright enough. The yellow film that I put on the dipped light has faded so that now the light is no longer yellow but only a yellowish off-white colour therefore I'm fitting a Yellow bulb and removing the filter.

My Bandit 1200 had a yellow plastic headlight cover and I immediately found that traffic noticed me... a bright yellow light was eye catching in the sea of white lights. 

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 23 October, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »
Bulbs have arrived H7 & 100W Yellow - I was sure I ordered 55W but may have switched pages as I scrolled down - should i use the 100W or not ?

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2017, 03:17:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by ivor hugh jarse [+]
Bulbs have arrived H7 & 100W Yellow - I was sure I ordered 55W but may have switched pages as I scrolled down - should i use the 100W or not ?

NO !!

I have written previously on this subject at length (search :164:).  In a nutshell the wiring will not take the 100w load, it and the connections will get hot resulting, eventually, in a voltage drop, increased resistance and, in an extreme case, you having lights going dimmer than the 55w bulbs that the bikes systems were designed for.  The dip beam circuits are run through a relay, the full beam not so  and as a consequence the 100w load will fall directly on the full beam switch.  This is apart from the additional heat produced by the bulb and its effect on the reflector (I wonder how peeps are getting on with their very hot LED bulbs?).   

Andy
 :149:

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2017, 03:21:31 PM »
thanks, I was only doing the dipped beam but I'll get a 55w instead - I'm glad I didn't fit them... :020:

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2017, 09:05:30 PM »
And 100W bulb is illegal!  :430:
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2017, 10:00:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
And 100W bulb is illegal!  :430:

Can't say I ever let that bother me.  For the right vehicle, wire them up through a relay, preferably use a ceramic connector to the bulb and set the beam correctly and JD. 
« Last Edit: 24 October, 2017, 10:02:25 AM by Bifferman »