Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Very slow cranking when hot  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Westoneboy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: North Ayrshire
Re: Very slow cranking when hot
« Reply #20 on: 18 February, 2018, 05:52:12 PM »
Hi thanks for the input. I have had the battery on an optimate overnight and before starting it I checked the batter voltage with a multimeter and it was reading  14 volts. It spun real quick and fired up right away .I let it warm up for a while then put the meter across the battery. On idle getting 12.3 volts reved it up and anything above 2000 revs gives 13.8-13.9 volts won't go any higher than that even if reved right up. Seitched ot off checked the battery again and had dropped to 12.8 volts .Bare in mind I have a brand new electrosport stator and electrix electronic regulator both fitted 3 days ago. It does seem like that sounds a low output .Any ideas???

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #21 on: 18 February, 2018, 10:01:58 PM »
Queuing or idling does not charge a batt, it rather flattens it.
If it had 30 mins of really riding/charging then indeed 13.4 is too little.
Mind checking plugs/wires, they too make part of the circuit.

Online g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #22 on: 20 February, 2018, 10:02:20 PM »
Hi Westoneboy
according to motobatt you need to run 13.6 volts as a minimum float charge and
14.7 to 14.9 max.
If it were mine i would check for voltage drop from the positive output on the regulator to the
battery positive terminal and from the negative wire on the reg to battery negative terminal.
Ideally the reading does not want to be more than 0.2volts.
To check for volt drop with engine running connect a digital volt meter from batt positive to
positive wire at regulator connection the reading is how much voltage is lost between them
repeat with negative connection on the battery to the negative connection on the reg.
 If your meter has a 2 volt setting that should be the most accurate to use for this check
I have a mk2 at idle it reads 14.2 volts and does not alter much when main is also switched on it does drop under
14 volts when i switch heated grips on as well though. The mk1 i had gave the same readings
      If you google checking volt drop you should get a better  explanation than mine.
  If the volt drop checks out ok  i would check the ac voltage output from the stator the readings for this
should be in the workshop manual.
  However if the battery is not fully charged or is faulty you will never get correct readings.

Malc

Online g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #23 on: 20 February, 2018, 10:18:29 PM »
Hi Westoneboy
this gives a good explanation

http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

Malc

Offline Westoneboy

• CBF Member
« Reply #24 on: 23 February, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »
Hi guys thanks for your help. Maybe I am on the right track at last.
I done an AC volts check across the stator output cables and got a reading of 12.5 volts at idle and 48 volts at 5000 revs. Zthat deems too low. This is a brand new electrosport stator only just fitted so I am thinking that the flywheel may be at fault. I have emailed Electrosport in the U.S.A. with my readings and I am awaiting a reply. I will keep you updated...

Offline Westoneboy

• CBF Member
« Reply #25 on: 28 February, 2018, 10:03:27 AM »
Update!!!  Hi guys thought I would let you know how things are progressing and maybe get some feedback. After purchasing another flywheel,  20mm extractor bolt and a pneumatic impact gun a managed to replace the flwheel. My AC voltage reading across any 2 yellow phase wires is now 15 volts at idle and 45 -47 volts at 5,000 revs. If reved anymore still doesn't go any higher than that. So not a great difference. With a full charged battery at 5,000 revs voltage across battery reads 13.9 volts.I haven't been able to test ride it yet to see if is charging properly due to the snow. Does that sound too low????

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #26 on: 28 February, 2018, 02:58:13 PM »
Only a tad.
Realise that a meter reading -1% of true will show 13.86v on a 14.00v source, so it gets hard to tell on consumer kit (and that it doesn't actually matter that much as the battery will stabalise it).

I'd run it and perhaps measure it when everything is hot; without fan even on idle mine was 13.8 ages ago - but I'd be happy with anything over 12.8 to honest (idling) and c.14v running.

Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Slawcbf

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Cbf1ka7
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #27 on: 31 March, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »
Mine reads 13.8-9V@ 5k revs, but when I ride even slowly my voltmeter shows 14.1V. The battery is a brand new yuasa. Checked my stator and RR (Honda manual) and everything seems to be ok. Not sure if my stator has been replaced or not.

Offline Westoneboy

• CBF Member
« Reply #28 on: 02 May, 2018, 08:31:54 AM »
Slow cranking when hot update. Well I finaly got to the bottom of the problem. It turned out to be the battery .I had bought a new Motobatt battery to begin with after suspecting it had a fault I had it replaced by another Motobatt  one. Eventually tried a different make Nitro and walla the bike is starting perfect even after long trips. It just goes to show never just go by the rule because it is new it is going to work perfect. I am steering well clear of motobatt as since my problem I have readan article where someone had three bad ones in a row. Nitro for me...

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #29 on: 02 May, 2018, 07:00:31 PM »
 :152:

diverse-leafy