Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Very slow cranking when hot  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Westoneboy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Cbf1000 2007
  • City / Town: North Ayrshire
Very slow cranking when hot
« on: 12 October, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »
Hi Please excuse me if this is a well covered problem but this is my first post on the Forum as a new member.  I have been the owner of a Blackbird for the last eleven years and have toured all over europe doing vast milage and never once had any reliability problems Just recently due to back and leg pain I  perchased a CBF1000 20007 model as after a test ride it was realy comfortable . I realy like this bike but after reading this forum I am worried about its reliability. My first issue with the bike is that starting from cold it is fine but once it heats up it is very slow cranking when trying to start it. I could not find anything on this forum regards this issue but when go ogle searching I found it on the CBR1000 forum. It seems like the CBR has a problem with the alternator damper. As the CBF has the fireblade engine does it also suffer from this problem. Any help would be gratefuly appreciated as I am planning some long trips next year and need to sort this problem soon... Thanks.in advance..

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Very slow cranking when hot
« Reply #1 on: 12 October, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »
Welcome. :001:

You’ve posted in the wrong place, take a look through the sections above in the General maintenance section.

:028:

Offline Westoneboy

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »
Thanks for the reply, sorry for posting in the wrong place ,got  confused with it cause I need help and it said help section. I have tried searching and scrolling page by page in this section but still cant find anything regards alternator damper.Sny chance someone can give me a link to it please ..Than

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2017, 09:46:36 PM »
We may have a translation issue - what's an alternator damper? Do you mean the rectifier?

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2017, 06:56:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Westoneboy [+]
Hi Please excuse me if this is a well covered problem but this is my first post on the Forum as a new member.  I have been the owner of a Blackbird for the last eleven years and have toured all over europe doing vast milage and never once had any reliability problems Just recently due to back and leg pain I  perchased a CBF1000 20007 model as after a test ride it was realy comfortable . I realy like this bike but after reading this forum I am worried about its reliability. My first issue with the bike is that starting from cold it is fine but once it heats up it is very slow cranking when trying to start it. I could not find anything on this forum regards this issue but when go ogle searching I found it on the CBR1000 forum. It seems like the CBR has a problem with the alternator damper. As the CBF has the fireblade engine does it also suffer from this problem. Any help would be gratefuly appreciated as I am planning some long trips next year and need to sort this problem soon... Thanks.in advance..
The CBF1000 does not have an ACG Damper (A.C. Generator Damper)

https://www.cmsnl.com/products/acg-damper-assy_28130ms2610

The (28130MS2610) ACG DAMPER ASSY is shown as item 7 on the schematic.
https://www.cmsnl.com/products/28130ms2610-acg-damper-assy_28130mm5020/
« Last Edit: 14 October, 2017, 07:04:26 AM by richardcbf »
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Westoneboy

• CBF Member
« Reply #5 on: 14 October, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Thanks for your input Alan but I am mechanically minded and have always repaired my own bikes so do know what a rectifier is. Thanks for the diagram of the CBR1000 damper Richard and clarifiying that the CBF does not have one. Have you any idea what else could be causing the slow cranking when hot. I have put a voltmeter across the battery when running and the alternator seems fine. I have bought and fully charged a new Motobat battery. When cold the engine spins very fast but when hot  turns over very sluggish. Very strange.....help please....

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #6 on: 14 October, 2017, 10:31:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Westoneboy [+]
Thanks for the replies guys. Thanks for your input Alan but I am mechanically minded and have always repaired my own bikes so do know what a rectifier is. Thanks for the diagram of the CBR1000 damper Richard and clarifiying that the CBF does not have one. Have you any idea what else could be causing the slow cranking when hot. I have put a voltmeter across the battery when running and the alternator seems fine. I have bought and fully charged a new Motobat battery. When cold the engine spins very fast but when hot  turns over very sluggish. Very strange.....help please....
Apparently 'Heat' can affect Ground cables/connections. Also, the workshop manual, Page 20-5, says...

Starter motor turns engine slowly
• Low battery voltage
• Poorly connected battery terminal cables
• Poorly connected starter motor cable or ground cable
• Faulty starter motor

http://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-20%20ELECTRIC%20STARTER.pdf
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Westoneboy

• CBF Member
« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2017, 03:51:04 PM »
Hi guys, I have been researching more into my slow cranking problem and came across an article that  had similar issue . Seemingly due to the stator  and rotor overheating  they were expanding and causing drag when trying to turn over a hot engine.  This seems to be when the stator is on its way out. Another symtom I have and was also mentiond to be one of a failing stator ,is that when hot the bike has a slight glitch at low revs almost like a misfire. Has anyone had these symtoms....Thanks.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:08:02 PM »
The ‘S’ issue on MK1 CBF’s is probably the most talked about single issue on the forum (and probably the only weak area on the bike).

I have a MK2 so not an issue for me. However, if I did own a MK1 I’d just do what is recommended time after time on here, and that’s change it for an aftermarket one.

£100 and you’ll never have to worry about the issue again. :028:

Offline Westoneboy

• CBF Member
« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
Do I not have to also replace the rotor and rectifier?

diverse-leafy