Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ankle surgery  (Read 446 times)

Offline LUCFCB

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Zaventem
ankle surgery
« on: 11 September, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
I have been in sports all my life ... and ruined my left ankle (right ... the one you really need ... :114:) No more cartilage left.
pain is getting almost unbearable.

surgery is an option, with 2 variants:
- fix my angle (less flexibility)
- prosthesis (more flexibility, increased chance for complications)

Anybody of you had this type of problem (or surgery), your choice, why, how about riding a motorbike? (one of the reasons I was considering the Africa Twin/ DCT)

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Re: ankle surgery
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2017, 07:54:04 PM »
Eww man, no advice just my best wishes for your recovery  :155:

Online Stevewestern

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2017, 08:22:53 PM »
I know exactly what you are going through - I had my right ankle fused about 10 years ago due to a motorbike accident 30 years ago.
I was in agony for a couple of years, having all sorts of treatment before I got offered fusion, which terrified me. As a builder I need to be able to walk, stand, kneel etc. The other option was removing my lower leg - prosthesis was never mentioned.
Long story cut short - from day one after the operation I had NO pain. I can't run, nor can I bend down easily, do squats at the gym etc, but few know from seeing me walk that I only have one working ankle. I also have one leg shorter than the other (can you guess which one ?) due to the same bike smash so do suffer from a sore back (yup, I also broke a vertebrae) and I now have problems with trapped nerves in my feet, but I doubt this is due to my ankle, more to do with the years spent on crutches and the various small injuries I suffered in my smash (which was caused by a car turning across into me)
I got my first bike since the operation (my CBF1000) a few months ago with some trepidation as I doubted I would be able to cope with turning it or pushing it out of the garage, but have had no problems at all. The main reasons for not getting one sooner were not related to the operation - family, no money etc.
If I had the money, I would get an africa twin as well as my CBF as that is the style of bike I always had, so go for it. Take time to regain confidence (I was told I would loose my leg if it ever got broken again) but as I near my 60's I feel more and more that this is my life, and I need to enjoy it.
I can't work like I used to, but am no longer 25. I can't run, but then again, not many women chase me these days (hey, those that do I find a way to escape from...) and I really enjoy having a bike.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on...

Offline edger

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:07:39 PM »
Back when we had hair  I threw myself under a Toyota Landcruiser :430: Tib and Fib both legs Right Femur  and trashed ankle .
After many op's on the Ankle, grinding bone away to allow more flex (no good)
extended Achilles Tendon etc  They did suggest fusing it but I  decided to suck it and see
I now have a ankle that has about 30% range of movement and walk on my toes most of the time.   
 I still walk on the Shropshire hills most days (Big Boots) but my weird gait is playing havoc with my knees and hip but I remember what the orthopedic surgeon said as I left "stay away from people like me"
So I will !!
Any thing that keeps you on a bike is a result.

Offline LUCFCB

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Zaventem
« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2017, 07:10:15 AM »
Thanks for replies.
I will go for the option most of you suggest, avoid surgery for the moment till pain is unbearable.
Anyway, when I ride i do not feel any pain, strange eh ?  :007:

Offline hondacbf

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »

hondacbf and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brit182CBF GodPosts: 2853 Bike: 2012 CBF1000FACCity / Town: West LondonCountry: UK

Best idea of motorcycling - Ever!

« on: 28 December, 2014, 07:22:36 PM »

The man hunched over his motorcycle can focus only on the present instant of his flight; he is caught in a fragment of time cut off from both the past and the future; he is wrenched from the continuity of time; he is outside time; in other words he is in a state of ecstasy. In that state he is unaware of his age, his wife, his children, his worries, and so he has no fear, because the source of fear is in the future, and a person freed of the future has nothing to fear

Maybe this is why you feel no pain! .

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2017, 09:57:43 AM »
Sorry to hear about this. I have so far been not so unfortunate, but I have a relative with a bad ankle from his racing days.
What I would say is, consider life now yes but also think about how it will be later. How active will you want to be, and what activity could you give up without missing it.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline edger

• CBF Master
« Reply #7 on: 19 September, 2017, 06:10:31 PM »
The only thing I can say is although I still have days of  pain in my ankle the most time its bearable .(although pushing the lawn mower round makes it ache like crazy)

I really should have a raised heel in my boot to prevent me walking on my toes but after after all this time I am used to it having lived with it since the mid eighties.

The only real downside is the extra strain placed on my dodgy knees and left hip due to the weird walking/limping gait but I think its a trade off worth taking.
And if I stop throwing myself off motorbikes it might help!

Offline edger

• CBF Master
« Reply #8 on: 19 September, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »
If you are feeling Masochistic you could try thrashing the offending joint with STINGING NETTLES!
Thousands of Roman Centurions can't be wrong, the Histamines in the nettle is supposed to
help with arthritic problems,
I don't think there is any scientific proof in this but I have tried it on my knee and I think it felt better .LOOKED RATHER BLOTCHY THOUGH :mfrlol:

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #9 on: 20 September, 2017, 05:38:55 AM »
There's also that nettle extracts to drink, but I dunno if that gives same relief as the stinging option.