Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Car Dooring  (Read 524 times)

Offline Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Taking a Sabatical - Hasta la vista
  • Bike: CBF1000 MK1
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
Car Dooring
« on: 11 September, 2017, 08:20:37 AM »
A campaign to raise awareness of "car-dooring" is needed to save lives on Britain's roads, Cycling UK has said.

One has to wonder whether Cycling UK or indeed individual or groups of cyclists ever think about taking some responsibility for their own safety by allowing sufficient distance between themselves and the car they are zooming past - just in case a motorist errs in this respect.  Motorists and motorcyclists are required to give sufficient space when overtaking a pedal bike (does not the Highway Code state a minimum of 6 feet ?) so why not equalise the law and require pedal cyclists to give the same courtesy to car and motorcyclists - and this should relate to an overtake on either side.  Mind you they could always avoid simply this by riding down the middle of a pedestrian pavement so they will be far enough removed from an opening car door - errr, silly me, so many already do just that :164:.

Frankly, are some cyclists so dumb (or just plain arrogant) as not to notice occupants in a car and, if stationery, think that they just might be considering opening one or more doors to alight and take action appropriately.

Whilst I am at it, why shouldn't this growing group of people, increasing numbers of whom appear to demonstrate a complete disregard for other road users, not be brought to account for any breach of traffic laws in line with other road users and, while I am still in a 'whilst I am at it' mode, make it mandatory for ALL motorcyclists (and electric invalid vehicles) to take out a minimum level of insurance to cover damage that they cause.  Even when a pedal cyclist fully admits fault, as has been reported on here recently, he seems to get off scott free when it comes to liability.  Personally I would sue the person if it was that clear that it was the cyclist at fault - unfortunately our justice system does its best to dissuade even smaller claims going through courts these days, even a small claims court action can be costly to initiate.

I am waiting with interest to see what sentence is going to be handed out by the judge to that loon who killed someone on his bike by riding irresponsibly and having removed his front brake because it seemed to be a pretty cool thing to do - should be any day now.  This IMHO should be a case of manslaughter but a conviction for that would most lightly be overturned on appeal hence being convicted by a very astute judge to a lesser offence that carries a maximum of a 2 year gaol sentence - NOT I suspect done by the judge to aid the cyclist for she was very unsympathetic towards this arrogant youth, but to ensure at least some conviction - we shall soon see what her sentence is :192:.

Andy
 :149:
« Last Edit: 11 September, 2017, 08:26:55 AM by Bifferman »

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Re: Car Dooring
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2017, 07:30:33 PM »
 :0461:

Yes regarding the latter, that tyke even LOOKS arrogant in the photo and once you read his initial comments on social media, along the lines of: 'I won't bother to say she deserved it because it seems to be a pretty serious thing, but the accident was her fault...'

Hmmm... NO front brakes, a velodrome type fixed rear hub sports cycle not designed nor legal for road cycling...

I hope her family take out a private prosecution and sue the arrogant little s**te (and win substantial damages) because the law of the land doesn't seem to be able to offer much protection in such cases.

Offline Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
« Reply #2 on: 12 September, 2017, 08:20:02 AM »
SUGAR :138:.

Original post above - made something of a boo boo;

Para 3, 2nd/3rd line where it refers to 'make it mandatory for ALL motorcyclists' it SHOULD HAVE READ: 'Pedal Cyclists' - stoopid mistake, sorry chaps.  The Admin does not allow you to change innocent errors these days unless you just happen to notice it within 30 minutes of the original posting :112:.

Obvious really but nobody has picked this up so a bit of self flagellation :231: - rather changes the whole meaning of this part of the post what :191:.  I am, of course, assuming here that all motorcyclists DO HAVE insurance - YES of course we do :084: but for every single motorcyclist who doesn't there are 10,000 pedal cyclists who don't :005:.

Andy

p.s.  I am told that the judges sentence will be made public next Monday 18th September.
« Last Edit: 12 September, 2017, 09:13:25 AM by Bifferman »

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Pro
  • Proud owner of CBF 1000GT FAC, MZ 301, Jawa 350
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
« Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:47:00 AM »
 We knew it was a senior moment typo.... :mfrlol:

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tommo2 [+]
We knew it was a senior moment typo.... :mfrlol:

I didn't notice and I said  :0461: so that makes 2 senior citizens :mfrlol:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #5 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:57:28 AM »
I just assumed (I know) you were borrowing my soap-box for a moan about our beloved lycra-clad friends.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2017, 01:37:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
I am waiting with interest to see what sentence is going to be handed out by the judge to that loon who killed someone on his bike by riding irresponsibly and having removed his front brake because it seemed to be a pretty cool thing to do - should be any day now.  This IMHO should be a case of manslaughter but a conviction for that would most lightly be overturned on appeal hence being convicted by a very astute judge to a lesser offence that carries a maximum of a 2 year gaol sentence - NOT I suspect done by the judge to aid the cyclist for she was very unsympathetic towards this arrogant youth, but to ensure at least some conviction - we shall soon see what her sentence is :192:.

Andy

Charlie Alliston by name.

From the Beeb a few moments ago:

"A cyclist who knocked over and killed a 44-year-old woman in east London has been sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders' institution."

He is now 20 years old so why a young offenders institution :187:.  I am :087:, not advocating one thing or another, just don't understand.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #7 on: 18 September, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »
Many years ago I was cycling and hit a pedestrian. Of course I stopped and helped her. I had some minor scratches and bruises but I found out later that she had broker her arm. Very sorry about that and I have to admit it was mostly my fault. I was on the road in an area that was pedestrianized apart from buses, taxi's and bicycles, and she stepped out without looking. I was going too fast.
On another occasion I was very narrowly missed by a very fast cyclist on a canal towpath, if he had hit me and I'd fallen into the water it could have been curtains.
More careful these days.
When cycling I always look into nearside cars and give any potential hazard enough of a gap to avoid it. So if there is someone sat on the drivers side, or I cannot see into it (like a van) I assume the door could swing open in front of me. And when its me I always check visually before opening the door.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #8 on: 18 September, 2017, 06:44:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
Charlie Alliston by name.

From the Beeb a few moments ago:

"A cyclist who knocked over and killed a 44-year-old woman in east London has been sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders' institution."

He is now 20 years old so why a young offenders institution :187:.  I am :087:, not advocating one thing or another, just don't understand.
Still not found Google?....

Types of secure centre...

...Young offender institutions:

• are run by the Prison Service and private companies
  • are for people aged 15 to 21 (people under 18 are held in different buildings)
https://www.gov.uk/young-people-in-custody/what-custody-is-like-for-young-people
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #9 on: 18 September, 2017, 07:28:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Still not found Google?....

Types of secure centre...

...Young offender institutions:

• are run by the Prison Service and private companies
  • are for people aged 15 to 21 (people under 18 are held in different buildings)
https://www.gov.uk/young-people-in-custody/what-custody-is-like-for-young-people

Sorry but all I can say is '18 months' for manslaughter?? WTF???