Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Different wheels  (Read 3122 times)

Offline chris goldson

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda cbf1000
  • City / Town: lincoln
Different wheels
« on: 10 September, 2017, 08:46:26 PM »
Just a thought - really like my red MK2 but hate the black wheels (on all bikes)

Has anyone fitted nicer better quality wheels to their MK2?

Best Wishes

Chris

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Different wheels
« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2017, 12:56:19 PM »
Different colours can make or break a scheme; I think that's why H use that psudeo black(ish) finish.
You'd have to play with photoshop - or look around the bike meets - to see what may ruin your ride.

A friend's Kwak looks soooo much better with clean gloss black wheels - but they've got to be clean.

I vote you go for the full repsol look (not just the wheels)!  Look, I've been on a painting spree¹ late summer  grab, some halfords finest rattle cans and we'll give it a go.

:156:

¹ Shed, posts, iron gate and my pièce de résistance - the bird feeder, which does actually look awesome and really was done with the above brand paint.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Ianrobbo1

• CBF Pro
  • Scuba divers do it with masks on!!
  • Bike: bird + CBF1000
  • City / Town: Wakefield
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2017, 02:22:05 AM »
I agree Black on most bikes looks a lot naff IMO, I have had this done, polished rims and gold inner, clear powdercoated, I've another set with silver and red where the gold is on these!!
« Last Edit: 09 December, 2017, 02:25:16 AM by Ianrobbo1 »
A newbie to the Biffer, owned a Bird for 19 years, and looking forward to long term ownership of my CBF!!

Offline chris goldson

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »
They look really nice

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 09 December, 2017, 12:50:48 PM »
Before you consider the expense of getting different wheels or having the existing ones repainted, why don't you try a very inexpensive alternative (£5.99), which has transformed the look of my bike. I have a black MK11 with black wheels and shortly after I got it 2 years ago, I got a set of red "MOGLO Reflective Motorbike (& Car) Wheel Rim Stickers / tape fits 16-20" via Amazon for £5.99 as an experiment to see how they would look. Every body I know said they would look naff, but once they had seen the change, they all said what an improvement they made, and believe me it really has changed the look of the wheels and bike. Yes, it took a bit of time to make sure the wheel rims were completely clean and grease free and to fit the stickers, but I did not have to even remove the wheels. They have now lasted over 12,000 miles through cold, rain and heat (Over 40c in Spain last year), tyre changes and cleaning, still look like new and have not come unstuck.

Upon reading your post decided to buy another set (just in case) but unfortunately they are no longer currently available form Amazon. However there are plenty of other makes available on the internet.

For the low cost why don't you try it before you spend an awful lot of money.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #5 on: 09 December, 2017, 07:49:47 PM »
If you don’t mind me asking, how much does it cost?  :002:

Offline chris goldson

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 09 December, 2017, 08:37:01 PM »
Any thoughts on the best ones to buy and from where?

What is the trick in getting them even on the rim?

Offline davidjg

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-C GT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: 10 December, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
Hi
The rim tape cost £5.99 in 2015, Can not recommend any other manufacturers, as it was the first time (and last time) I had bought rim tape.. Although Amazon do not sell it anymore, the maker was Moglo Reflectives (http://www.moglo.co.uk/). The tape came in pre-curved sections with some spare sections, and there was a choice of colours to chose from when ordering.

Fitting is fairly easy (especially after you have done the first rim side and have got the hang of it), all you need is patience and a good eye to make sure sections fit uniformly around the rim. I think that I had to cut a very short length  of off the last section on each rim, so that it was the correct length and abutted the next section correctly. As they supplied spare sections, it was okay when I messed up a couple when fitting them -they can be peeled off at any time.

Just make sure that the rims are completely clean and grease free - I used surgical spirit. And do not touch the sticky side of the tape. I also did not use the bike for about a day after fitting the tape -so that the stickiness had time to cure properly.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #8 on: 10 December, 2017, 11:06:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by davidjg [+]
Hi
The rim tape cost £5.99 in 2015, Can not recommend any other manufacturers, as it was the first time (and last time) I had bought rim tape.. Although Amazon do not sell it anymore, the maker was Moglo Reflectives (http://www.moglo.co.uk/). The tape came in pre-curved sections with some spare sections, and there was a choice of colours to chose from when ordering.

Fitting is fairly easy (especially after you have done the first rim side and have got the hang of it), all you need is patience and a good eye to make sure sections fit uniformly around the rim. I think that I had to cut a very short length  of off the last section on each rim, so that it was the correct length and abutted the next section correctly. As they supplied spare sections, it was okay when I messed up a couple when fitting them -they can be peeled off at any time.

Just make sure that the rims are completely clean and grease free - I used surgical spirit. And do not touch the sticky side of the tape. I also did not use the bike for about a day after fitting the tape -so that the stickiness had time to cure properly.

Sorry, I meant for the repainting.  :001:

Offline chris goldson

• CBF Pro
« Reply #9 on: 10 December, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by davidjg [+]
Hi

Many thanks Phil that is extremely useful. Will order some tape and see how I go on.

Best Wishes

Chris