Author Topic: Swinton Failed me......  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
Swinton Failed me......
on: 08 September, 2017, 10:28:57 AM
I write this as a warning to you all, check you really are insured.......https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Had a shock moment last week when the cops pulled me saying I was uninsured. Turns out it expired in May, I checked my bank account, as all direct debits are just numbers and letters, and are not easily identified. Deeper checks found this to be correct, the direct debits had ceased.

Despite receiving a renewal letter in May that required me to 'do nothing' to ensure renewal, the direct debit would continue, it never happened. After half a day of phone calls and angst, Swinton admitted liability, and have written a letter saying they should have renewed it, but failed, and if I had an accident, they would have paid. (Really?).

I have served the renewal letter and their apology letter on the police, and will await their decision. There is no defence to driving uninsured, which means if summoned, I will have to plead guilty and fight the 6 points for 'special reasons'. If convicted, guess what, my insurance will increase next year. Talk about injustice.

Thank god I never had an accident, the consequences and grief would have been tremendous. The silver lining is it has been discovered.

I would be interested to know if anybody else has similarly suffered, and if so, was it Swinton?
Tommo

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: Now Bikeless
  • City / Town: Workington
Re: Swinton Failed me......
Reply #1 on: 08 September, 2017, 11:31:22 AM
I hope you get a sensible response from the police - it must be a time of anxiety! Although not a criminal offence I had a similar experience when renewing - or not renewing  - our house insurance due to a misunderstanding. Murphy's Law struck and after having insurance for many years and never claiming, we came home from a holiday to find our water tank had flooded the ground floor - EXPENSIVE!
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline Westbury71

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Pending
  • City / Town: Suffolk
Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2017, 11:55:10 AM
*Originally Posted by Tommo2 [+]
I write this as a warning to you all, check you really are insured.......https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Had a shock moment last week when the cops pulled me saying I was uninsured. Turns out it expired in May, I checked my bank account, as all direct debits are just numbers and letters, and are not easily identified. Deeper checks found this to be correct, the direct debits had ceased.

Despite receiving a renewal letter in May that required me to 'do nothing' to ensure renewal, the direct debit would continue, it never happened. After half a day of phone calls and angst, Swinton admitted liability, and have written a letter saying they should have renewed it, but failed, and if I had an accident, they would have paid. (Really?).

Sorry to hear of your stress. I am sure it was an unpleasant experience. The brokers documents should satisfy the authorities however. The broker will have Professional Indemnity cover in place, so yes you would have been covered.

A timely reminder to all re Askmid however. Whenever I buy/renew cover for any of our three vehicles, I always make sure 'its gone through' and the cover is in place by checking with Askmid. I still do this even though I have a PDF of the Certificate of Insurance.

Offline Tommo2

• CBF Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000GT 2016
  • City / Town: Stevenage
Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2017, 12:37:56 PM
Thanks Ken, I hope the police do the decent thing as well. It was a genuine mistake. I still cannot access the Swinton web site for the certificate etc. and they don't know why either. Pattern emerging here. Incidentally, when I got the posted documents, they had sent me two other peoples certificates as well....

Thanks Westbury, never heard of Askmid until this all happened. Good advice. Out of all direct debits to fail, this is the most important, everything else is just a debt, and they would be on your case soon enough if you didn't pay.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2017, 07:01:51 PM
That's terrible news Tommo  :003:

Really hope you get a positive outcome - IMO the police should be taking Swinton to court not you!  But I know that the law is an ass so one shouldn't expect a reasonable approach...

I usually have the opposite problem with insurance companies, i.e. trying to STOP them renewing automatically each year cos I refuse to pay 20% premium increase!
Good Luck mate.
Tim

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2017, 08:04:52 PM
There is a lesson here for all. Many years ago I 'trusted' an insurance company who let me down.

Since then, I ensure I never have automatic renewal, as it doesn't always mean it was renewed and they usual fleece you for the privilege.

And, I always read the small print. This saved me a huge problem when I was told I was insured on my holiday insurance for riding a motorcycle, to find it was for riding motorcycles up to 125cc!

Technically they were correct, but riding around Europe on my 1000cc bike wasn't covered!

The devil is in the detail.  :028:

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2017, 08:49:45 PM
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
There is a lesson here for all. Many years ago I 'trusted' an insurance company who let me down.

Since then, I ensure I never have automatic renewal, as it doesn't always mean it was renewed and they usual fleece you for the privilege.

And, I always read the small print. This saved me a huge problem when I was told I was insured on my holiday insurance for riding a motorcycle, to find it was for riding motorcycles up to 125cc!

Technically they were correct, but riding around Europe on my 1000cc bike wasn't covered!

The devil is in the detail.  :028:

:460: :0461:

diverse-leafy