Author Topic: Cyclists and liability  (Read 5864 times)

Offline bonoeuf

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: CBF600
Re: Cyclists and liability
Reply #30 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:02:26 AM
*Originally Posted by Ali-bear [+]
I also remember doing that  :001:
I am also sometimes a cyclist although I prefer to have fun off-road. I would never wilfully obstruct anyone else and go out of my way to ensure I never do.

I would be interested to know what you mean by "wilfully obstruct".

If that refers to riding two abreast, the highway code recommends it when in rural areas or the traffic is light. It should make it easier to overtake as the obstruction is shorter.
There is a new version of cycling proficiency test, it is called bikeability. I did it six months ago as part of a cycle leaders course with Sustrans.
"My father taught me to work, but not to love it. I never did like to work, and I don't deny it. I'd rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh -- anything but work."
Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Was Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
Reply #31 on: 31 August, 2017, 11:14:41 AM
I don't know what its like up in County Durham but around these parts we get a lot of sanctimonious p***** in lycra who seek confrontation with motorists and will deliberately obstruct them if they can. They do themselves no favours.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Reply #32 on: 31 August, 2017, 12:07:54 PM
Bicycles, pedestrians, horses, cows, sheep, hospital bed push, electric disabled scooters are just some things we can find on the road that we give a "cars width" or more when we pass them 

We wouldn't dream of slicing closely past a horse rider who we share the highway with - so why not give the same courtesy to all the others too?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Lambos

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
Reply #33 on: 04 September, 2017, 08:53:34 PM
Some interesting points here.
I too am a keen cyclist, currently motorcyclist and car driver.
Being a member of British Cycling I have insurance, importantly, I think I ride and drive with all  disciplines in mind.  Perhaps, making me much more aware of other road users and just maybe a better road user.
Do as you would be done by springs to mind but I guess we can all be careless or thoughtless at times, cheers, Paul.
Sail away from the safe harbour, catch the trade winds in your sails, explore, dream, discover.

diverse-leafy