Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: In praise of ABS  (Read 912 times)

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
In praise of ABS
« on: 21 August, 2017, 01:46:33 PM »
I tested my ABS/CBS this weekend and found it works  :152:
I was about four hours into a long ride, leaving Cirencester on the A433 heading towards Tetbury and then home. Behind a queue of 8 or so cars just going at their speed waiting or the road to open up so I could overtake. Looking over the hedgerows. Doing about 30 mph and not paying attention  :182: :110: :151: :138:
Luckily I noticed out of the corner of my eye the car ahead of me stopping (because 3 cars ahead of him was going to turn right). Slammed on both the brakes, swore, swore again, put a leg out (in case that may have helped, channeling my inner Doctor, whatever) and I felt the ABS working through the brake lever. I was able to stop the bike just short of the bumper!  :001: :046:
It all happened very quickly and I'm pretty sure the ABS prevented an accident.
So, collision averted and lesson learned.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Re: In praise of ABS
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
Great isn't it ? :020:.... blind panic causes us to grab a handful  :005: and yet the front wheel doesn't fold under us  :046:

We "plan to go" and are "prepared to stop" but occasionally it catches us out when the "plan to go" is most appealing we don't consider the "prepare to stop" often because it looks like there is no right turn into some obscure driveway or farmers field.
« Last Edit: 21 August, 2017, 02:28:37 PM by ivor hugh jarse »
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »
Really was my own fault for not paying attention and I was lucky to get away with it - I had a stern word with myself all the way home.  :211: :192: :232:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
Many years ago I had a similar experience which didn't end as well (no ABS in those days).

Following a line of cars too closely and nearly home after a rideout on my Kawasaki Zephyr 1100, I was distracted by a very tasty looking bike coming towards me on the other side of the road. Gawping at it, I realised too late that the car in front had stopped.  :005: Grabbed a handful and provoked a huge tankslapper. the bike went down and so did I on my knee. I still remember all the pretty colours it went over the next couple of weeks  :019: (no armour in them days). The guy whose bike I had been admiring stopped and scraped me up  :028: and I managed to make it the rest of the way home. At least I managed not to hit the car in front.  :152:
No good deed goes unpunished.

diverse-leafy