Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Looking for advice on aftermarket can for Mk2  (Read 918 times)

Offline FrasMac

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000FA GT
  • City / Town: Stewarton
Looking for advice on aftermarket can for Mk2
« on: 30 July, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
Hi all,

Getting along nicely with my Mk2 but a little part of me wants her to sound a bit throatier.
Is anyone willing to share their success stories with whatever brand of slip-on or full system you have fitted, are there any real bargains to be had, will doing this work affect my warranty, will I need a power commander as well, etc etc

Sorry for the comprehensive list, but I've never done anything like this before, apart from fitting some anti-social peashooters to a Triumph Legend I once owned, which was a lot less technical looking!

Thanks in advance!   

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
Re: Looking for advice on aftermarket can for Mk2
« Reply #1 on: 31 July, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
Lots of people do this on the Mk2.
You don't need a power commander (dreadful things IMHO) because the CBF is in a relatively low state of tune. Putting a free-flowing exhaust on the back does not change the engine gas flow significantly (it's to do with valve timing overlap) so you don't have to mess about with the fueling. But you won't get any power gains either.
What you do gain is a big weight saving because the standard can including catalytic converter and the flappy valve thing plus actuating motor weight quite a bit, compared with an aftermarket can. Plus you never have to worry about the flappy valve sticking and the motor burning out (because this would happen eventually).
Also aftermarket cans always look cooler.
There are two choices about what to do with the flappy valve actuator motor thing. You can either disconnect the operating cables and leave the motor attached to the bike, or you can remove the motor. But if you remove the motor, in its place you need to plug in a small box that fools the bike's ECU into thinking the motor is still attached and functioning normally. Without this you will get an engine warning light and error code.
I went with removing the motor and a replacement can from Leo Vince. This can came with a small drilled plate that acts as a baffle - I left it in place and the bike sounds only a little bit louder than stock - not sure how it would sound without it.
Do a search on here or on-line for info and options  :062:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline ushirlo

• CBF Member
  • nabijen te........
  • Bike: cbf1000f
« Reply #2 on: 01 August, 2017, 07:44:31 AM »
just fitted........
without db killer sounds great.......

ae..............

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #3 on: 01 August, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
Had the Leo Vince on both of my Mk2s, looks good , sounds good, reasonable price and very easy to fit.   Just disconnect the flapper valve on the OEM can from the exhaust servo and slip the LV on - easy and you loose about 10kgs in the process. 

There is a useful picture guide to sorting the servoe here:  https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,17412.0.html

Rgd sSteve

Offline bghonda

• CBF Pro
  • Heidi the Honda
  • Bike: CBR1000fa-b
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »

I removed the failed motor and stock exhaust and replaced it with a carbon fibre Fuel exhaust, straight forward job, sounds and looks great.
In doing this I saved loads of weight, both from the bike and my wallet. :-)
Keep it upright ;-)

Offline Leofric

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2012CBF1000FA
  • City / Town: North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »
What is this about flappy valve sticking and motor burning out eventually ?
regards

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2017, 03:02:10 PM »
Anything inside the exhaust or mounted under the bike is prone to corrosion. After a while the flap gets harder to move and then sticks altogether, so the motor gets overloaded and eventually gives up the ghost.
An electrical engineer writes: "DC electric motors deliver enormous startup torque at the expense of very high current flow. This is what makes them good starter motors, but bad when what they are driving can't rotate, because the high current will rapidly burn out the rotor coils."
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline the_Zed

• City / Town: Winnipeg
« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2017, 04:16:57 AM »
I did purchase a LeoVince and apparently, won't get it till Sept. being here in Canada, however, any popping or backfire upon decelaration once your new slipon Leovince is installed? Do I need to add a power commander or other ? Thx. , I have an mk2