Author Topic: CBF1000 MK1, one, deer zero.  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
CBF1000 MK1, one, deer zero.
on: 07 July, 2017, 09:12:51 PM
Last day of NC500 tour returning to Moffat North of Fort George, Biffer 100 yards infront of me, deer leaped out at headlight height. It looked like an explosion with plastic and deer flying outwards. Bike carried on with deer's feet projecting on both sides of the bike, then it dropped off the bike andBiffer went over it. Rider eventually stopped some distance down the road as on impact the rider was thrown forward and his knuckles broke off his front brake lever. I take my hat off to him as it was an amazing demonstration of riding. It only dawned on me a little later that he had passed me shortly before, I doubt if my bike, or me, would have stayed upright.

With the aid of many plastic ties and most of a role of Gaffa tape we rebuilt his bike and after a diversion to Inverness to replace his brake lever he continued as if nothing had happened. He made it down South and was concerned his bike might be a write off as there was a lot of plastic to replace and there might have been frame damage. However all is well and it should be back on the road  soon. It says a lot about the strength of the CBF! (I doubt my BMW F800GT would have survived as well....)
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: CBF1000 MK1, one, deer zero.
Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2017, 09:58:22 PM
 :005: Amazing.  Tricky things them deers.  Hope the rider's hand is okay.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2017, 02:22:30 AM
The rider is lucky to be alive. Hitting anything broadside, at speed, generates some serious G's.

Congratulate him on some outstanding riding, and I hope his hand wasn't damaged.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2017, 11:18:31 AM
I take my hat off to the rider continuing his journey unfussed

A cat was enough for me so a deer must have been a nightmare... mine was 3.00am on an empty motorway and my light must have been seen for at least two miles as the cat lay in wait until I got within yards then it leaped in front and my bike went through it - not over it... I then slowed for a while feeling for a puncture or something and without stopping I upped the pace and continued the Biffer was unmarked but for traces of blood 
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Online moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2017, 06:24:11 PM
I was also on this trip acting as TEC for the group. I followed the rider to Inverness and there was no sign of anything amiss. I was actually his room mate on the trip and he did tell me later what a brown trouser moment it was. I think he under estimates how good his control was on that occasion and I'm very happy with how it ended up.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2017, 05:14:10 PM
I forgot you too is a member of this forum... We had a great time except when we both waited for around 15 minutes, you thinking I was in trouble and for some reason I thought there was another rider we were waiting for....  :157: :232:

Online moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2017, 06:37:05 PM
Its all these little things that make our tours such a laugh Ken

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2017, 08:43:10 AM
Well done that rider!

I always remember on my CBT course the instructor saying that it was not a good idea to hit a sheep...'Dogs bend in the middle...' he said, 'Sheep don't!'

And what about the deer, Rev Ken? Presumably it didn't survive, so what did you do? Did you strap it to the back of the bike and take it home for dinner?
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Was Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
Reply #8 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:10:56 AM
Venison a bit overrated in my opinion, but if you ever bag a Reindeer they are quite delicious  :152:
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: 11 July, 2017, 03:08:17 PM
*Originally Posted by chubbleybear [+]
Well done that rider!

I always remember on my CBT course the instructor saying that it was not a good idea to hit a sheep...'Dogs bend in the middle...' he said, 'Sheep don't!'

And what about the deer, Rev Ken? Presumably it didn't survive, so what did you do? Did you strap it to the back of the bike and take it home for dinner?

The lads who went back to pick up as much plastic as possible told us there was very little left of the deer, and they certainly weren't interested to pick the remains up.... :004: