Author Topic: Fall down, go boom... the dangers of sand in an intersection  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
This happened a short time ago when I got my beloved Silverdart out for it's first springtime spin.

Now, you're told in every motorcycling training course to look far, far ahead; don't focus on the 15 or 20 feet directly in front of your front wheel.

The problem with that, of course, is that you are apt to miss what's right in front of you, which is what happened to me. Approaching an intersection, making my left turn, the front wheel slid on some sand and *crunch* *scraaaaaapppeeee* down we go.  :232:

I was, alas, less than pleased.

The damage on the bike is minimal (see pic attached) and, thanks to the fact that I am an ATGATT* rider, I was personally undamaged.

I've made arrangements with a friend at a body shop to do the repairs and painting (for a fraction of what it would cost to get new Honda replacements) so now I have to figure out how to actually remove those panels and, more to the point, replace them correctly once they're fixed. If anyone can point to a thread or even a Youtube clip on how to remove/replace those bits, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

* For those unfamiliar with the term ATGATT, it means All The Gear, All The Time.

*edit to add*
Found the info on how to remove/replace the associated bits here: https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=4 Thanks to the admin(s) for posting it!
Last Edit: 07 July, 2017, 06:57:54 PM by Silverdart
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
 :430:

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident  :003:

Glad you're OK though and the bike wasn't more seriously damaged either...

Gravel is the main hazard that I'm scared of in the UK particularly on the tight twisty country lanes here.  The problem is you never know what's round the next bend  :110:

Offline Westbury71

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Pending
  • City / Town: Suffolk
Ouch. Pleased to hear you are all ok.  :028:

I agree that gravel on UK roads is a real issue. We seem to have a policy of 'top dressing' or whatever its called when chippings are covered over a road as a bodge. Leaves gravel about for years afterwards. Indeed only the other day, I put my foot down when stopped at a junction and a small amount of gravel caused my foot to slip slightly. Fortunately held the bike, but it was unnerving to say the least and reminds me just how heavy the CBF is.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
A few years ago in the UK the country began to run short of rock salt in the cold winter so local councils in their wisdom added grit sand to the mix to make it go further. It served its purpose in giving grip but months later it was still gathered in parts of the road where traffic was rare.

In April that year I rode the country lanes of the Yorkshire Dales and cresting a hill I found a truck coming towards me taking most of the road so I had to take to the edge in the sand and then make a sharp right bend very gingerly immediately after the truck.

I pondered where the sand came from only to be told at my next stop that it went down in the winter because of the lack of rock salt.... and sadly sand doesn't dissolve like salt
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
False economy by the local authorities as always   :232:

Offline Silverdart

• CBF Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000-A
  • City / Town: Kitchener ON
Picked the parts up from the body shop this morning, just re-installed them with a minimum of fuss (just a few short curses) and it looks brand-new.
Old enough to have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Just can't remember it all.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
*Originally Posted by Silverdart [+]
Picked the parts up from the body shop this morning, just re-installed them with a minimum of fuss (just a few short curses) and it looks brand-new.

:062: