Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust - increased sound from right side mufler - reason?  (Read 495 times)

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A 2007
Exhaust - increased sound from right side mufler - reason?
« on: 03 July, 2017, 10:14:31 AM »
The sound from the right side muffler is now significantly louder than from the left mufler, so I suspect the exhaust system has started to fail.

Two days from now I'm going on a long trip to the Alps from Denmark, and am worried the sound will just become louder and louder on such a long tour (more than 4000 km !). I can take my Fireblade, but would prefer the CBF with top pox and panniers.

My CBF has now run more than 95.000 km. What is the normal mileage before the exaust system has burt out? Anybody knows.

And which types of errors can it be? Muffler, front section, exhaust servo? Please let me know your experience.

Regards ... Fred

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Exhaust - increased sound from right side mufler - reason?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
I think only mkIIs have (one) exhaust servo (when still fitted ...) so won't be that.

Noise from the end of the pipe or more generally?
Could just be a joint (or joint gasket) or a even a split.  Easy to tell if it is leaking/blowing - block the tail pipe.

Are the headers all the same temperature?
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
« Reply #2 on: 04 July, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »
The increased sound level clearly comes from the end (output) of the muffler.
There are no apperent leaks anywhere between front of pipes and end of muffler.
Servo not present on mk I check (did not have the wproshop manual arround when starting thread).
Will check pipe temperatures for differences in temperature (good suggestion for fault finding jm2). Power output has however not changed noticeably.

When I find time to work on it I will try to swap the two mufflers to see if the sound follows the mufler.

It will be a couple of weeks before I get to it, because tomorrow I go on a two weeks mc tour in the Alps, taking my Fireblade and riding very light with much less luggage as it has no panniers, but just a saddle bag.

Offline Teapot68

• CBF Member
  • Hello, be happy
  • Bike: CBF1000A7
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2017, 08:37:57 PM »
Hi I didn't post anything earlier because I'm not that technically minded.  :125: What I can help with is, I have a set of mk1 exhausts for sale on the forums for sale board, Check them out. Do have a safe trip  :300:
« Last Edit: 04 July, 2017, 08:39:39 PM by Teapot68 »

Offline FireBladerDk

• Article Editor
  • CBF Master
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2017, 09:37:01 PM »
Teapot68 - that might help. I will contact you for further details when I have returned from my trip.  :002: