Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Lower fairings (GT Model) or Not?  (Read 411 times)

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
Lower fairings (GT Model) or Not?
« on: 30 May, 2020, 01:48:39 AM »
Hey there,
Considering two bikes:

1. 2009 Red with lower fairings (GT Model) and OEM side bags (no topbox) 25kkms -- stator has been replaced

2. 2009 Red with 3 OEM bags (no lower fairings) 16kkms  -- stator has not been replaced

Both have tires with only 3000kms or so.

My questions ... do the lower fairings make a big difference at highway speeds? During rainy days? During cold days?

Anyone have experience with both GT and non GT models during harsher conditions?

Thanks,
Mike --- Cheers!

Online Art

• CBF Master
  • Bike: SC58 CBF1000 A-6
  • City / Town: Shoreditch
Re: Lower fairings (GT Model) or Not?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2020, 08:58:40 AM »
I ride my CBF 1000-A6 (MKI) all year long. No rain, shine or storm has kept me out of the saddle and I've never really felt any need for anything other than the stock cowls, screen and seat, they work just fine for me. I've done some extreme riding on it too including 1,000 milers in 24 hours, 1,500 and 2,500 miler weekends etc. The CBF is a great no frills sport tourer, you'll love it.

I wouldn't worry about the stator, too many naysayers with little or no knowledge of stators, regulator/rectifiers and charging systems have written so much irrational hype about them its difficult to sort the fact from the fiction. Many perfectly serviceable stators and regulator/rectifiers have been replaced without any proper or thorough diagnosis.

Offline moayling

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2015 MK 2 CBF
  • City / Town: Seaton. Devon.
« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2020, 10:56:24 AM »
I had a gt model with the lower fairings and while they do offer a bit of protection from the elements and keep a lot of muck away from the hard to clean places they also trap a lot of engine heat so the bike can run quite warm especially in traffic. As with everything it’s personal choice

Offline timbig

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000TA
  • City / Town: Derby
« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2020, 01:32:30 PM »
I took lower fairings off my GT model,  i like to see the the engine, my thinking was opposite to above, muck get under fairing and difficult to clean everywhere properly,  just my opinion.

Offline MikeV

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2020, 09:06:37 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Missed the GT, it sold.

I kinda prefer the semi-naked, non GT look. I had best move quickly, so as to not miss out.

Thanks again.

diverse-leafy