Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Melbourne, Australia insurance prices  (Read 914 times)

Offline Fishy

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 2008 CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia insurance prices
« on: 15 June, 2017, 03:15:14 PM »
Hi all,

Definitely get a quote from Swann Insurance for your bike if in Australia. Mine was $290ish. This was almost half of the nearest quote.

Cheers,
Fishy

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Melbourne, Australia insurance prices
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2017, 01:20:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fishy [+]
Hi all,

Definitely get a quote from Swann Insurance for your bike if in Australia. Mine was $290ish. This was almost half of the nearest quote.

Cheers,
Fishy
Hi, Was that for agreed price???
Mineis insured with AAMI and much much dearer than that......but tom agreed price.
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline Fishy

• CBF Member
« Reply #2 on: 20 June, 2017, 12:13:45 AM »
Yep agreed and $9000. My bike is not worth that much.

I was surprised that everywhere else was almost double. Looking in to Swann's tyre and rim coverage now, 2 tyres (up to 2x$350) per 12 months, 1 rim repair per year. It was about $250 per year (which seems a bit expensive to me given how close it is to my comprehensive premium) and $143/yr if you sign up for 3 years protection.

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
« Reply #3 on: 20 June, 2017, 05:18:42 AM »
I am very surprised.Mine is down to $7500 atm and costing twice that. I dont actually think that it specifically covers rims or tyre damage. Well worth a check...Thanks.

Whereabouts are you in Melb?

Offline Fishy

• CBF Member
« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
Jump online and try a quote from Swann. I live in Hoppers Crossing which is one of the worst suburbs. When I put 2008 CBF1000A into any quote it is $9000. It may be that the 2008 is here in such low numbers that using the number of claims against them is no longer a valid determinate for premium prices. In other words, maybe nobody has ever made a claim on a 2008 by chance and because this makes the premium so low at market value of say $7000, they increase the coverage offer to a higher value to compensate.

(sometimes weird things like this happen as my 2001 AU ute is cheaper to insurer comprehensively rather than for 3rd party property, fire and theft - few comprehensive claims and/or many fire and theft claims). Remember when gc8 wrxs were super expensive to insure because there were low numbers and enough of them were stolen for crimes, they fixed this in part by increasing the total number for the following years.

I would say it is definitely not my suburb/location. I am open licenced over 10 yrs and have the full no claims bonus, locked garage, no finance, etc. All the good ones.

Re: the tyre and wheel insurance, it is a separate product rather than included in comprehensive. It would never be affordable to replace a tyre with a nail in it through a comprehensive claim because of the excess. A single wheel would come in close but still not really worth a claim. I'm not sure what the excess is on a rim/tyre claim because I think I was assuming there isn't any. It's like windscreen insurance, you can get a certain number per 12 months. If I had 3 tyres I'd do it for that price. I think I'd rather keep $250 in my back pocket in case I need a tyre.

Quick question, the last time I bought good (not the cheapest but good value) tyres they were $220 front and $290 (not fitted). Are they much more than that now?

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
« Reply #5 on: 20 June, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »
All very interesting. I certainly will follow through on a quote. Like yourself I have all the good bits to attract a favourable premium.

Hoopers Crossing being on the North West out Werribi way?? I do spend quite a bit of time in Melb....but mainly in the South East...Endeavour Hills/Roeville. I was there last weekend, got to go back this coming weekend and back on the 7th of July. Planning to ride down....but all depends on the weather.I think it is meant to be fine. I have an extended overseas European/Baltic trip coming up and need to toughen my rear end to accomodate.

I can remember what I paid for the last set of tyres but generally around $420 for a set. If you have competing Bike shops around you, they will include fitting free.