Author Topic: Touring in France  (Read 1826 times)

Offline maz

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Staffs
Touring in France
on: 05 June, 2017, 04:21:28 PM
Just wondered if anyone has been to France recently on a bike. For the last few years we have used the boat directly to Spain but this year decided to ride.
It's the helmet stickers and hi-viz stuff I'm interested in. I have done a search and googled it and get conflicting advice. Some articles say hi-viz vests or similar are a requirement from Jan 2016, some say helmet stickers are only required if the helmet has been bought in France, various combinations of the two, none of it applies to visitors and wear it anyway just to be sure .
If anyone has a definitive answer to this I would be interested and also if most bikers in France do comply because in my experience it is not good to stand out from the crowd and my "technical french" would not be adequate for a discussion with the local plod.

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
Re: Touring in France
Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2017, 04:59:50 PM
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2017, 05:08:11 PM
 Did a return trip through France a few days ago and of the dozens of UK bikers on the road and seen in the shuttle ,very few of them had any high viz stuff, I do have reflective stickers on my helmet because it came with them otherwise I wouldent bother with them. On one part of my trip I rode along the motorway with a group of about six French biker cops ,the only interaction that took place was when they gave a pleasant wave as they turned off the motorway. As long as you stay within the speed limit to a reasonable degree I feel sure that you will not be bothered , rather concentrate on enjoying your trip.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2017, 09:11:26 PM
Been through France numberous times........never been stopped. :001:

Draw attention to yourself and you probably will. :038:

Offline gedspeed

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW R1200RS SE
  • City / Town: Blackpool Lancs
Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2017, 09:30:04 PM
Been in France 4 years on the trot, I travel the shortest road to get in Belgium and go through to Luxembourg, Germany and into Switzerland and Austria.

Not a fan of France its tolls and silly rules.  :431:

Ged

BMW R1200RS Sport SE , blue pearl white

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
Reply #5 on: 06 June, 2017, 11:21:06 AM
I was there exactly a year ago and had no issues. I do wear Hi Viz especially in bleak weather but not always. Certainly no stickers on the helmet. Have had some great discussions with some cops along the way.....but they were mainly interested in my travels and how I was enjoying myself. You are supposed to carry a Hi Viz vest in case of an emergency (which makes sense to me), breathaliser and the spare globe (again makes sense to me), but I have never been pulled over and asked to produce them.

As stated above, do something stupid and they will very quickly seek you out....
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline maz

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000F
  • City / Town: Staffs
Reply #6 on: 07 June, 2017, 09:32:39 PM
Thanks for those replies, particularly shumba, it was that recent experience I was after.

Offline bghonda

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBR1000fa-b
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
Reply #7 on: 19 July, 2017, 09:17:59 PM
Hi all, I've been a little quite on here of late, but, whoo, i'm back.

Right, my question is, the wife and I are touring France, we were going onto Spain, but personal circumstances have changed that, but, hey, at least we can get 8 day's away.

I have "purchased" the Sanef toll tag,  :164: if any of you have used the tag, how do you fix it to your bike, I did read on a site where someone put it in a bag and used a peg to secure it to the windshield  :084:

We are going on the 12th of August, I'm 57 and like a kid waiting for Christmas lol, I get to tick one of my bucket list items of the list by going over and under Millau Bridge, we are also staying the night in Millau.

Next year, I'm planning on doing the North Coast 500, another one off the list hopefully.

Cheers in advance
Paul  :001:   
Keep it upright ;-)

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Ferndown, Dorset
Reply #8 on: 19 July, 2017, 09:27:11 PM
Not as convenient as you might think...

4.4. Iíve got a motorcycle?

You can use a Liber-t tag with a motorcycle with some limitations, the main one being that to avoid being charged as Class 1 vehicle you must use the manual lane and hand over the tag to the person in the toll booth.  They will use a barcode scanner to read the tag and will charge you as a Class 5 vehicle.  The main advantage is that it saves you fumbling for cash / payment cards with gloves on but you should not use the automated lanes. If there is no manned lane, use the automated Liber-t lane. When using the automated lane on a motorcycles just hold your tag up to the gantry, ensuring it is the correct way round as per the instructions it came with.   Take care the vehicle (or other motorbike) behind is not too close as the equipment in the automated lane may register you as a larger vehicle and charge for a car (class 1). You can check your transactions in the 'My Account' area a few days later.  If this happens you would need to contact us and request a toll adjustment.  If you use the automatic lane then we can only request a toll adjustment if you have used the non-height restricted Liber-t lane, all vehicles using the 2 meter height restricted lane will be classed as class 1 with no option to adjust this. 

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/support-Faq.List/#3.0.
Last Edit: 19 July, 2017, 09:32:33 PM by Biker Mike