Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin offer- PR4s etc.  (Read 1052 times)

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • -
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Michelin offer- PR4s etc.
« on: 09 May, 2017, 05:24:37 PM »
I am not suggesting they are any better (or not) than anything else.  Indeed I'm not of the "Pro PR4" camp but no doubt they are good tyres and some certainly like them on the biffers.

I came across this for those tempted.

https://myoffer.moto.michelin.com/en_GB/catalog/

Meanwhile, I've got myself some Z8s on and loving them so far.    :300: :300: :300:
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Michelin offer- PR4s etc.
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
I'm binning PR3's from mine and my wife's bikes, neither of us are impressed with the shape they are wearing, so we're not putting our money on PR4's.

I've gone for Avon X-M's, my wife will be trying Bridgestone 023's.

We will give feed back after our May tour.  :028:

Offline duggers

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:46:25 AM »
Hi Phil,

I'm about to replace both tyres on mine and noticed that the PR3 front has worn a flat on the right, probably due to enthusiastic cornering on roundabouts, so wondering about alternatives, and considering the BT023. I saw that you've fitted them to your wife's bike and wondered if you could give me some feedback on these and the ones you fitted to yours?

Regards
Ian

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2017, 11:33:52 AM »
Hello Ian,

The PR3's on both our bikes, front and rear, had a very strange wear pattern. By far the quickest and strangest wear patterns of any tyres we've ever had. We got rid of them at 5000 miles, although legal, the ride they gave was terrible.

You may ride enthusiastically, but we ride sedately and had the same wear problem.

Having done about 3000 miles, on both sets of our replacements , we're far happier than we were with the PR's.

My wife feels happier with grip and the control of the Bridgestones, and, going back to Avon's for me gives me far more confidence. Both sets show very little sign of wear, having done 2000 miles fully loaded with luggage (no pillion) and the rest riding solo.

Unless they go downhill fast from now on, they will easily last us far longer than the 5000 miles we got from the PR's.

Tyres are a subjective subject, but I'll be happy to stick with Avon's and my wife tells me she's happy with her Bridgestones.

Hope this helps.  :028:

Offline duggers

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
Thanks Phil,

I'm opting for the 023s having heard good feedback elsewhere too. I appreciate your response.

Regards
Ian

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2017, 02:44:32 PM »
When you've had them a while let me know what you think. Others on the forum would probably like to hear your thoughts as well.  :028:

Offline Stevewestern

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: 14 September, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »
I know I would like to hear more as I will soon be needing my first set of replacements....!

Offline golfsharpy12

• CBF Legend
  • RG500 - 2-stroke heaven (Dum Spiro Spero)
  • Bike: Z1000SX
  • City / Town: Marlow & Gloucs
« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
Just to say - PR3s were always known for wearing out quickly as they had a fairly soft compound - the PR4 is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT tyre and wears much better.  I scrubbed a set of 3s off my last CBF in just under 4k - plus I'm not exactly sure why people are still commenting on PR3s as they were discontinued nearly 4 years ago and are not a current tyre.  I have been running PR4s on my SX which is considerably more powerful than the CBF and get around 7 k per set.  As to stability - I have seen an indicated 165 (on track) on the SX and its rock stable.

There are better tyres out now (but I know of no one who has ridden them all) and they are always evolving as manufacturers devlop new compounds and tread patterns.  If you went back a few years ago and had to ride OEM Yokahamas then you would realize how bad tyres can be. But fit any (and I mean ANY) latest generation ST tyre from any of the top 5 tyre manufacturers (pirelli, bridgestone, Dunlop, michelin and metzler (which are essentially pirellis) and you will find your bikes performance will improve markedly from your current worn OEM bridgestones.  In addition the levels of grip and stability will comfortably exceed anything that a UK road rider can achieve - unless they are travelling at NW200 or UGP speeds (and in that case they need locking up).  My suggestion is write the names of all 5 brands on a slip of paper put them in a hat and pick one - you will love it - failing that just go for what you get the best deal on.  Next time you change, try another brand and the result will be the same - there are no bad tyres out there now - just different levels of brilliance.     
Lots of peeps will talk complete b------ks about how good one tyre is over another but frankly unless they have tried them all in all weathers and temps then their advice should be viewed with suspicion.  I currently still run PR4s (which were about the best at the time of fitting) and they provide grip levels that exceed my riding abilities - there are undoubtedly better tyres out there now and when I change I will most likely try another brand, but one thing is sure - I will not be exploring their outer limits of grip and stability on the road. 

Rgds Steve

Offline alantriggs

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Mk2
  • City / Town: Royston
« Reply #8 on: 14 September, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by golfsharpy12 [+]
Just to say - PR3s were always known for wearing out quickly as they had a fairly soft compound - the PR4 is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT tyre and wears much better.  I scrubbed a set of 3s off my last CBF in just under 4k - plus I'm not exactly sure why people are still commenting on PR3s as they were discontinued nearly 4 years ago and are not a current tyre.  I have been running PR4s on my SX which is considerably more powerful than the CBF and get around 7 k per set.  As to stability - I have seen an indicated 165 (on track) on the SX and its rock stable.

There are better tyres out now (but I know of no one who has ridden them all) and they are always evolving as manufacturers devlop new compounds and tread patterns.  If you went back a few years ago and had to ride OEM Yokahamas then you would realize how bad tyres can be. But fit any (and I mean ANY) latest generation ST tyre from any of the top 5 tyre manufacturers (pirelli, bridgestone, Dunlop, michelin and metzler (which are essentially pirellis) and you will find your bikes performance will improve markedly from your current worn OEM bridgestones.  In addition the levels of grip and stability will comfortably exceed anything that a UK road rider can achieve - unless they are travelling at NW200 or UGP speeds (and in that case they need locking up).  My suggestion is write the names of all 5 brands on a slip of paper put them in a hat and pick one - you will love it - failing that just go for what you get the best deal on.  Next time you change, try another brand and the result will be the same - there are no bad tyres out there now - just different levels of brilliance.     
Lots of peeps will talk complete b------ks about how good one tyre is over another but frankly unless they have tried them all in all weathers and temps then their advice should be viewed with suspicion.  I currently still run PR4s (which were about the best at the time of fitting) and they provide grip levels that exceed my riding abilities - there are undoubtedly better tyres out there now and when I change I will most likely try another brand, but one thing is sure - I will not be exploring their outer limits of grip and stability on the road. 

Rgds Steve

:0461:
better to wear out rather than to rust out..

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #9 on: 14 September, 2017, 12:57:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by golfsharpy12 [+]

Rgds Steve
:460: We need to have confidence in our tyres and so far PR4s are my tyre of choice as the only time I get near to tyre limits is in the wet and their wet weather performance gives me confidence - so far..... :123:
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift....