Author Topic: Would you consider buying a BMW R1200RS?  (Read 6000 times)

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Ferndown, Dorset
Would you consider buying a BMW R1200RS?
on: 07 May, 2017, 10:10:54 PM
 :177:

Well, I have to admit I've been sorely tempted in recent months, more for a return to a shaft drive bike than any other real reason I guess; however, the following thread on the RS forum helped me see the potential error of my ways:

http://r1200rsforums.com/threads/warranty-and-major-breakdowns-log.2242/

I really don't see the CBF community being able to produce such a sad catalog of problems.
Worst I've had in 6 years was a rattle from the fairing and a missing screw cap on the pillion grip, which really says something about the CBF.

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
Re: Would you consider buying a BMW R1200RS?
Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2017, 11:06:07 PM
Did you read all of it ?

Just the 3 little letters is enough for me to loose interest  :187: :180:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2017, 07:27:21 AM
 According to Visordown  the most reliable motorcycles in 2016 were Yamaha Suzuki Honda ,with Can Am and BMW  being the least reliable,  There are a couple of other surveys saying the same thing , It goes to show that spending wads of cash can mean buying
 problems.  But there again the image rather than the quality seams to be more important than anything else these days.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2017, 09:17:44 AM
How about a Triumph Explorer, Mike?  They have shaft drive and all mod-cons but apparently also quite low on the JD Power reliability survey...

Offline Ali-bear

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Was Mk2 Biffer
  • City / Town: Bristol
Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2017, 09:57:53 AM
I had a GS for 8 years and can confirm it was reliably unreliable. I'll never buy another.
Designed in Japan, assembled in Italy, fiddled with in Britain

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Ferndown, Dorset
Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2017, 11:15:11 AM
*Originally Posted by SaturnV [+]
How about a Triumph Explorer, Mike?  They have shaft drive and all mod-cons but apparently also quite low on the JD Power reliability survey...
Did try it out Tim.
Nice bike, but expensive and aqain, quality is nowhere near as good as you'd expect for a 15k bike, especially since Triumph have already had a few years to get it right.
I won't say Honda just seem to get it right straight out of the box as even the Africa Twin has had a few hiccups since its introduction, although it makes me think even a Crosstourer would be better, but it doesn't exactly offer much for the money being asked.
I'd rather this thread didn't just turn into another 'what can I replace the CBF with' posting, but invariably a few alternatives will surface before interest dries up.
As for the BMW, practice makes perfect, so it's no wonder their service support is held in such high esteem...

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2017, 05:19:09 PM
Reliability of makes is not as helpful as it might be as different models have different reliability, especially as different models are made in different countries. So far as BMW are concerned I see they are going to release another seven models this year, which suggests 'variety' is more important than 'quality'. However my bike is less complicated than many models and has a more reliable power train (Rotax engines)
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2017, 06:08:54 PM
I like to ride with little concern for reliability because I expect it as standard - yet many BMW GS riders are overly concerned with the reliability of their machines often carrying vast tool kits and even oil for a run to the coast, they do seem very expensive too. 
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2017, 06:27:05 PM
*Originally Posted by ivor hugh jarse [+]
I like to ride with little concern for reliability because I expect it as standard - yet many BMW GS riders are overly concerned with the reliability of their machines often carrying vast tool kits and even oil for a run to the coast, they do seem very expensive too.

I have heard about several BMW models having heavy oil consumption . I dont know if this has anything to do with reliability or if they are just made to operate that way.

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2017, 08:53:10 PM
I wouldn't own a BMW motorcycle , I'd give breaking down, buying oil and spending silly money on matching clothes and deciding what model to keep up with the Jones a miss.

They seem to have a massive parts bin ,just to get rid of the s**t , they bring a new model out.

BUT I know a courier whos old BMW has only done just over 750k and the same engine.

Wonder what the newer one clock up  :028:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....