Author Topic: Garage Attempted Break-In  (Read 3570 times)

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Garage Attempted Break-In
on: 21 February, 2017, 07:50:39 PM
Had a bit of a shock today - I store my bikes in a garage that I rent from the local council but it's located a mile away from home so don't go there everyday.  On average I visit the garage (and my beloved bikes) at least twice a week depending on other commitments.  This afternoon I discovered that the padlock was missing and the clasp bracket had been opened but surprisingly (and to my obvious relief and amazement) the garage was still locked and hadn't been opened!  Phew! 

To be honest it's quite surprising that I've been renting that garage for 6 years and this is the first security incident I've experienced.  The block of garages is located beside a small block of flats - 4 or 5 storeys - and when I'm there messing around with bike maintenance I have the (up & over) door open and am in full view of anyone looking out from the flats from the 1st floor and above.  There are no cctv cameras at the site and I often find broken bottles in the garage area but never sure whether it's from the flat residents or other hooligans.  Never any grafitti though which is also somewhat surprising given the suburban surroundings.

So this is a wake-up call for me anyway.  Went straight off to Wickes to get a sturdier replacement padlock but really need to get a proper, centrally mounted, garage door blocker.  Any suggestions / recommendations please?

Considering the Squires Garage Defender by the way. 

Thanks
Tim

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Ferndown, Dorset
Re: Garage Attempted Break-In
Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2017, 08:00:51 PM
Bad news Tim.
Best of luck finding a solution.
I found adding a clasp and padlock only drew attention to my garage (in a block of 4) where everyone else relied on the standard lock.

Offline Biffern

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 AT
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2017, 08:34:46 PM
Hi Tim. I had 3 break ins. Then I fitted Enfield locks to the up and over door. Not had any attempts since. Forget fitting any posts or similar in front of the door,they can be prized up.
HAHA
CBF1000 FA
CBF1000 AT
CBR1000RR5
CBR900RRW

Offline Biffern

• CBF Member
Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2017, 08:39:49 PM
Bloody predictive text! Should have read HTH
CBF1000 FA
CBF1000 AT
CBR1000RR5
CBR900RRW

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2017, 08:56:05 PM
*Originally Posted by Biffern [+]
Hi Tim. I had 3 break ins. Then I fitted Enfield locks to the up and over door. Not had any attempts since.

Thanks mate.  But not sure what Enfield locks are?  Sorry to be a thicko lol.  Do you have any web links or should I just Google?

:173:

Offline Biffern

• CBF Member
Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2017, 09:10:00 PM
CBF1000 FA
CBF1000 AT
CBR1000RR5
CBR900RRW

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
Reply #6 on: 21 February, 2017, 09:16:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Biker Mike [+]
Bad news Tim.
Best of luck finding a solution.
I found adding a clasp and padlock only drew attention to my garage (in a block of 4) where everyone else relied on the standard lock.

Thanks Mike.  Every cloud has a silver lining, etc.  I needed a wake-up call really cos have known for years that a padlock and the standard lock on the handle in the middle of door are not really security.  A while ago I inadvertently locked my keys inside the garage and all it took for me to get back in was a quick trip to Wickes to buy a pair of bolt-cutters lol. 

Take your point that the more visible security you have the more the crims think there must be something inside worth nicking...  That's partly why I always leave the door open and bring the bikes outside to work on whenever the weather's good enough.  The other reason is that it's cold and dark inside the garage with no electricity or heating, so a lot better outside with daylight and hopefully a bit of sunshine occasionally!

TBH no self-respecting auto thief is gonna give my bikes a second glance - an 8 yr old Biffer and 2 twenty yr old CBRs.  Now if they were Fireblades or S1000RRs I could understand it  :mfrlol:

All of the garages (10 in the block) have one or both sides of the doors secured with clasps & padlocks but 3 or 4 also have the central blockers bolted into the concrete.  That's what I'm considering with the idea that although they could still be breached it would take much more effort and time than on the less secure units so maybe enough hassle to deter them away from mine...

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
Reply #7 on: 21 February, 2017, 09:18:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Biffern [+]

:062: Cheers  :031:

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
Reply #9 on: 22 February, 2017, 09:51:56 AM
Nice one cheers  :028:

P.S. Wouldn't be able to install the Garage Defender anyway as no mains power on site and I doubt that a battery powered drill could get thru concrete   :087: