Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suspension settings  (Read 2113 times)

Offline bghonda

• CBF Pro
  • Heidi the Honda
  • Bike: CBR1000fa-b
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
Suspension settings
« on: 29 January, 2017, 06:14:30 PM »
Okay, now I've thrown my toys out of the proverbial pram, picked them up and replaced them, can someone please tell me how I know when the rear suspension is set up correctly.

The wife and I are going to France later in the year, as said before, she occasionally rides pillion with me, but just pottering around "local" i've never bothered with the settings, the luggage is always fitted, due to storage reasons really, but doing a "long European" ride I would like to know it's going to be comfortable with two up and panniers filled.

Again, as said in another posting, I have looked at the mighty BMW K1600 GTLE, but with my sensible head on, I can't really afford it....well sort of...the BMW is such a great bike, the on board computer sorts all the suspension settings out when you go into the settings for it, great bit of kit.    :300:
Keep it upright ;-)

Offline Bloitz

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A (07)
Re: Suspension settings
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
Rear sag should be somewhere between 35 - 45 mm for street riding. This is laden sag (i.e. rider or rider/pillion sag)

Not sure which shock you have now and what can be set but generally:
Setting rebound and compression damping is done by feel and road conditions. It should not too fast and not too slow. The rear shouldn't "bounce" up when you compress and release it. It's hard to explain in words, look on youtube to see what it should look like. Stock settings are a good baseline. As you increase preload (for pillion and luggage) you should probably increase damping a bit.
Too little damping will create a more comfortable ride but the bike will feel unstable and wallow in the corners. Too much damping and the bike's suspension won't follow the road irregularities properly resulting in a loss of traction and an uncomfortable ride.
There's tons of information to be found about how to set these. But generally, stock is a pretty good baseline and only small adjustments should be made. Max out either setting and you are doing something wrong (or something is wrong with your shock).

Hopefully this gets you going in the right direction.

And yes, the ESA stuff is pretty cool and useful if you switch between one-up / two-up regularly. It does cost a pretty penny but IMHO a must-have option if you're spending BMW-money anyway.
« Last Edit: 31 January, 2017, 12:01:06 PM by Bloitz »

Offline Paul-D

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: Coventry
« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2020, 01:16:57 PM »
What about front Rider Sag? 

I know 1/3rd of travel is a good rule of thumb, but with 120mm of travel (Mk1 & Mk2), that's only 40mm... and with only 1.5 rings showing on my Mk2 I'm still getting about 45mm of Rider Sag.

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2020, 09:44:38 PM »
Hi Paul-D
  my mk2 had 45mm sag with adjusters screwed in to the top mark.
I am only 77kilos with all my bike kit on, had a word with Hagon and
they supplied springs for my weight plus different weight oil and  set the fork oil
to a different height as suggested by Hagon
After fitting the new springs the sag was 35mm on the original  std setting
Malc

Offline Paul-D

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: Coventry
« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2020, 12:18:05 PM »
Great feedback, thks Malc.  Sounds like mine.  I've now screwed front pre-load in a further 1.5 turns so only 1/4 of a bar below the top-most ring.  Having screwed the pre-load down from an original 3 bars and approx 1mm to this position, the rider sag has hardly changed.  And I still get fork travel of approx 119mm (120mm max)... using a tie wrap and moderate to hard braking... which is virtually bottoming out.  Like you, my conclusion is, the original springs are too soft and progressive springs are needed.  Will plan on upgrading at next service point.

Maybe adding some washers and increasing oil viscosity one grade would help... but I think the Hagon progressive kit is the best option.

Also... the original Mk2 Honda manual appears erroneous... as it states that adjusting pre-load changes ride from softer to harder... But every expert who advises on suspension settings states that 'adjusting pre-load has no impact on ride comfort'... and that it only affects 'sag'.  This is correct for linear springs... as the 'rate of compression' will remain exactly the same irrespective of how much they are compressed under pre-load.

Offline g5guzzi

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: cbf1000fa
  • City / Town: kirton lincs
« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2020, 08:13:16 PM »
Hi Paul-D
according to Dave at Hagons if you need more than
10mm adjustment on a spring you need a stronger spring.

Malc