Author Topic: Lost my way, again!  (Read 388 times)

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
Lost my way, again!
on: 27 December, 2016, 07:16:35 PM
Managed to get a pass for a ride out to-day. I thought I'd see what bargains Lloyds BMW in Carlisle, but it was closed. I must have taken a wrong turn and ended up in Moffat on the way back. I found some nice Black Watch tartan trousers, but sadly there weren't any in my size. The only 'fly in the ointment' was that my dipped beam failed. I had to get back in daylight so had to get a move on, well that was my excuse! 150 miles of sheer enjoyment. Here's to the next time, but after I've washed some of the muck off the bike and me.
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline hondacbf

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Durham
Re: Lost my way, again!
Reply #1 on: 28 December, 2016, 12:41:07 AM
*Originally Posted by Rev Ken [+]
Managed to get a pass for a ride out to-day. I thought I'd see what bargains Lloyds BMW in Carlisle, but it was closed. I must have taken a wrong turn and ended up in Moffat on the way back. I found some nice Black Watch tartan trousers, but sadly there weren't any in my size. The only 'fly in the ointment' was that my dipped beam failed. I had to get back in daylight so had to get a move on, well that was my excuse! 150 miles of sheer enjoyment. Here's to the next time, but after I've washed some of the muck off the bike and me.

I had the pleasure of riding the Selkirk to Moffat A708 road in August. This 35 miles stretch of road is fantasic for motorcycle's. Years ago it was voted one of the best motoring routes in Great Britain by the AA, and it features in the AA Bikers Britain book. You dont have to venture too far into Scotland to find great quiet roads with beautiful scenery. I would not have been bothered if I had "lost my way" that day, but Rev Ken at this time of year  I am pleased you "found your way!" back again  :028:
Last Edit: 28 December, 2016, 12:55:06 AM by hondacbf

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 28 December, 2016, 06:21:40 PM
*Originally Posted by hondacbf [+]
I had the pleasure of riding the Selkirk to Moffat A708 road in August. This 35 miles stretch of road is fantasic for motorcycle's. Years ago it was voted one of the best motoring routes in Great Britain by the AA, and it features in the AA Bikers Britain book. You dont have to venture too far into Scotland to find great quiet roads with beautiful scenery. I would not have been bothered if I had "lost my way" that day, but Rev Ken at this time of year  I am pleased you "found your way!" back again  :028:

AH yes I know it well! It has suffered over the years and is only now being resurfaced, but still a great ride, taken with some caution. I always stop at St Mary's Loch for a cuppa and usually there are other bikes there for a chinwag. I consider myself very lucky to live so near great riding roads, often without too much traffic, especially at this time of year. :031:

Offline HGP

• CBF Member
  • Bike: Silver CBF 1000
  • City / Town: Lanark
Reply #3 on: 28 December, 2016, 06:42:00 PM
Have to agree that this is a fantastic road for bikes. It has also been mentioned a few times in the Ride magazine and was described as one of the best linked three road route in Britain. A708 Moffat to Selkirk - A72 Selkirk to Blyth Bridge and A701 back to Moffat. 92 miles of pure joy. Best bit is that it is only 15 miles from my house to get to the 701 at Broughton and I usually go round it several times over the summer months. Good stop for coffee at St Mary,s loch. Route highly recommended. :028:
The route could also be  done as a sort of figure of 8 shape by using a single track access road from St.Mary's loch past the Talla Reservoir to Tweedsmuir. If you are travelling up North it is worth taking a day out of your trip to do it.

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 29 December, 2016, 08:19:34 AM
Now look here, if we advertise this great part of the borders for a ride, we'll be swamped with bikers. We should have kept quiet to keep these roads for ourselves. :138:

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2016, 12:23:03 PM
I still maintain you can't get too lost around here - we live on an island afterall.

:305:
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Blunderbust

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1, CT, R111
  • City / Town: Norwich
Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2017, 10:43:39 PM
Shame about the troos Rev Ken, The Black Watch, a fine regiment in which I served before the change to the Royal Regiment of Scotland. A very nice Tartan indeed.
Ride safe,

Jimmy

diverse-leafy