Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Does Idling Damage Catalytic Converter?  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Bloitz

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A (07)
Re: Does Idling Damage Catalytic Converter?
« Reply #10 on: 14 November, 2016, 04:53:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by SaturnV [+]
Thanks Ged, Bloitz.

I have a tendency to start her up at least once a week if not riding, just to warm engine up and keep battery topped up - that's cos my garage has no mains power and don't want to keep removing battery.  Otherwise I go for a 10 mile round trip just for the hell of it  :001:

Tim
Honestly I wouldn't bother with that every week. If you won't drive for a month I would disconnect the battery after it's been topped up. Then top it up every month if you haven't ridden (topping up = overnight on a smart charger) + 5 minutes idling to coat the engine internals. I'm not a fan of keeping batteries hooked up all the time. Doesn't do them good IMHO and is a potential fire hazard.
Removing the battery completely and keeping it inside isn't a bad idea either if it can freeze in your garage.

Offline Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
« Reply #11 on: 14 November, 2016, 06:04:06 PM »
Mr Bloitz

I have seen domestic garages in Belgium, wonderful things with plastered and painted walls with ceramic tiles on the floor - I am so envious.

I rebuilt our home and the garage was a speciality  but I ended up with painted fair faced blocks, 10cm of insulation in the floor walls and ceiling (which my builder thought was completely unnecessary) together with a radiator to take the chill off the garage in the winter.  WEven the electric door has 5cm of insulation in it.  What a difference to the usual carp we have here - and you seem to build to such a higher standard, well for the garage 9man cave) at least :001:.

Personally I thing there should be a EU standard for the building of Man Caves - I will have a word with Mr Junker, at least that is something useful he could do :008:.

Andy
 :149:
« Last Edit: 14 November, 2016, 06:07:08 PM by Bifferman »

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #12 on: 14 November, 2016, 08:04:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
Not teasing. Peugeot 3008, manual states car needs to be running! I thought it would be a laptop plugged into the car, but it's maps downloaded onto a USB stick and updated via the USB port........and the speed of updating is obviously VERY slow.
What a joke.
My Honda CR-V's nav system (which is Garmin based) took 15 minutes to update from plugging in a USB memory stick containing the map refresh and only another 20 for updating the system code. I did these myself from downloads I obtained from the internet.
The engine needs to be running to prevent bricking the nav unit in the event of power loss.

Offline phild

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000FA-B
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #13 on: 14 November, 2016, 08:13:07 PM »
I know we're going off subject here, but I got free updates for 5years as part of the deal.

Waste of time. I drive to Lincolnshire and Germany regularly, so I said give me the USB and I'll update it whilst driving. Peugeot said NO (and the code on the USB is only good for my car).

Back on subject, 4 hours static running bad for the CAT?

Offline Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
« Reply #14 on: 14 November, 2016, 09:44:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by phild [+]
I know we're going off subject here, but I got free updates for 5years as part of the deal.

Waste of time. I drive to Lincolnshire and Germany regularly, so I said give me the USB and I'll update it whilst driving. Peugeot said NO (and the code on the USB is only good for my car).

Back on subject, 4 hours static running bad for the CAT?

Probably OK but then I really don't know for certain.  I wonder how much fuel you get through at zero mph for 4 hours - what about billing Poogeot :187:

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #15 on: 15 November, 2016, 09:37:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bloitz [+]
Honestly I wouldn't bother with that every week. If you won't drive for a month I would disconnect the battery after it's been topped up. Then top it up every month if you haven't ridden (topping up = overnight on a smart charger) + 5 minutes idling to coat the engine internals. I'm not a fan of keeping batteries hooked up all the time. Doesn't do them good IMHO and is a potential fire hazard.
Removing the battery completely and keeping it inside isn't a bad idea either if it can freeze in your garage.
Yeah, all good advice I know but I guess I just love the excuse of 'going to the garage' for several reasons; good to check that nobody's broken in and upset my babies;  also great to bond with said bikes and lastly great to get away from the domestic environment for an hour or two  :mfrlol:

Offline chubbleybear

• CBF Master
« Reply #16 on: 15 November, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »
I have an Optimate III that I've used for years. I used to have problems with it sometimes going either into desulphate mode or fault. I tracked this down to the cheap and nasty plastic connector between the battery fly lead and the charger. After replacing this with a decent quality connector I have not had any problems....except when then bloody thing fell off the shelf beside the bike and put a nice little ding in my silencer  :233: This happened because the lead to the bike is made of very stiff wire which gets even stiffer in cold weather. A softer and more flexible cable would be an improvement.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Offline Bifferman

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
« Reply #17 on: 15 November, 2016, 11:31:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by chubbleybear [+]
I have an Optimate III that I've used for years. I used to have problems with it sometimes going either into desulphate mode or fault. I tracked this down to the cheap and nasty plastic connector between the battery fly lead and the charger. After replacing this with a decent quality connector I have not had any problems....except when then bloody thing fell off the shelf beside the bike and put a nice little ding in my silencer  :233: This happened because the lead to the bike is made of very stiff wire which gets even stiffer in cold weather. A softer and more flexible cable would be an improvement.

I still have my venerable Optimate III and it works now as it always did with one exception - had exactly the same issue as CB, poor quality connection to the permanent 'comfort' fitting to the battery - the terminals got verdigris on them then started to 'eat' themselves until there was barely anything left of the male pins.  I replaced the male connector and squirted ACF50 on both the connectors and it has been fine ever since.

Chubbley is absolutely right about the thickness/stiffness of the cable - seriously in-flexible.  The cabling and design of the connections on the CTEK are miles better, maybe Optimate have improved theirs on the later versions.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #18 on: 15 November, 2016, 01:06:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]

Chubbley is absolutely right about the thickness/stiffness of the cable - seriously in-flexible.  The cabling and design of the connections on the CTEK are miles better, maybe Optimate have improved theirs on the later versions.

Hmm. Not sure if they have though - I've got the Optimate 4 & 6 models and they both do seem to have quite thick inflexible cables from the charger to battery - although I rarely use outdoors in cold environments...