Author Topic: reliability  (Read 1837 times)

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: lichfield
reliability
on: 05 November, 2016, 06:43:26 PM
 An interesting site if you can find it .WWW.Consumerreports.org Who makes the most reliable motorcycles. It may not be what you think.

Offline Bloitz

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A (07)
Re: reliability
Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2016, 11:04:43 AM
I do have some reservations about those numbers.
What do people consider repairs? If you drop your bike and it needs repairs, or if you burn your clutch at every traffic light... Is that a manufacturer's fault?
What about warranty?
They make no mention of mileage either. You can find a lot of 4 year old bikes second-hand with less than 10k miles on the clock. But BMW RT's and GS's generally will have higher mileages after 4 years. So them needing more repair-work is a given.
I'm not a BMW fanboy but 40% needing repair in the first 4 years is a very high number.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
  • CBF God
Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2016, 07:19:03 PM
Shumba, where are the motorcycle bits :027: - I can only see new mattresses and snow Blowers - not particularly interested in snow blowers but a new mattress is on the cards. 

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: lichfield
Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2016, 08:41:32 PM
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
Shumba, where are the motorcycle bits :027: - I can only see new mattresses and snow Blowers - not particularly interested in snow blowers but a new mattress is on the cards.

If you google WWW.Consumerreports.org Who makes the most reliable motorcycles.   It should come up
  Why do you need a new mattress ?. How did the old one get worn out?.  :015:  The memory foam ones are the best.
Last Edit: 06 November, 2016, 08:50:51 PM by shumba

Offline k9doc

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 A9 GT
  • City / Town: Derbyshire
Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2016, 10:55:25 PM
Can well believe these figures. You only have to follow some of the BMW forums. Each and every new LC R1200 RT had a recall for starters when the model was launched in 2014 and there are many reports of failed this and failed that. Some having engines and other bits replaced repeatedly for corrosion issues. IMO BMW have great ideas and would produce great bikes if they were put together using quality components. 40% in 4 years seems realistic to me. Yes ex BMW and yes pi$$ed off with the brand.
Last Edit: 06 November, 2016, 11:08:56 PM by k9doc
Chris

Offline k9doc

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF 1000 A9 GT
  • City / Town: Derbyshire
Reply #5 on: 07 November, 2016, 06:06:22 AM
To be fair I should have said the model equipped with dynamic ESA, recalled as a precautionary measure.
Chris