Author Topic: Regular Rideouts - East Midlands Area  (Read 418 times)

Offline k9doc

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: CBF 1000 A9 GT
  • City / Town: Derbyshire
Regular Rideouts - East Midlands Area
on: 23 October, 2016, 11:41:28 AM
Just browsing the Members Map and there seem to be a lot of pins within a 20 mile radius (as the crow flies) of the Gainsborough/Retford area.

I was wondering if there was any appetite for a regular rideout  based around this area or possibly weekend trips further afield, as I can't seem to find much happening on a regular basis considering the number of bikes in the area. Maybe people like to do their own thing, already ride in a group/club, don't like riding in a group/club, or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place.

I know from previous experience with bikes and boats that groups tend to do more and be more adventurous than individuals and would be happy to be involved in the organisation of such a group.

Maybe, as a Newbie on this forum, I'm sticking my nose in where it's not wanted. Constructive comments welcome.
Chris

Online jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
Re: Regular Rideouts - East Midlands Area
Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2016, 04:45:18 PM
Not at all.  But don't suddenly expect to find lots of new riding buddies!
- I don't know of any mini-groups regularly riding around here but am happy to partake.

Do as you've already done (more notice will be useful to most but (elsewhere) I have done this almost on the day with success).

A self confessed FWR here - others may be secretly waiting for summer conditions too.

The only other thing I implore of you is to be acutely aware of other peoples riding skills, abilities and wish to make progress.  I'm certainly one to be cautious with a new (to me) rider until I get to know their riding modes and remember it is often the tail end charlie that comes adrift.  Small(er) groups are fun.

P.S. Stick you real location in the panel - we're not coming to nick your bike! but NE Derbys covers an awful lot (I do know, I can remember your original post but my crooked memory may forget.)
Last Edit: 23 October, 2016, 04:48:20 PM by jm2
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline k9doc

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2016, 05:30:18 PM
Hi jm2, thanks for your comments. I realise that it's probably the wrong time of year for some people and I get more choosey for sure as I get older, but opportunities do present and I like to take advantage when they do. Still interested as to why, with so many bikes in the area, there is so little interaction. It seems to be fairly typical and not just a biffer thing.
Chris

Offline dolly66

• CBF Member
  • Bike: cbf1000gt
  • City / Town: Burton-on-Trent
Reply #3 on: 30 October, 2016, 07:21:36 PM
Hi K9DOC, would be happy to tag along as long as  GSX1250 would be welcome as have just swapped my biffer gt. I live in Burton on Trent. I also work shifts so may be would not be able to make all ride outs but will try and make most if welcome.
Cheers Andy

Offline k9doc

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #4 on: 31 October, 2016, 09:10:31 AM
Hello Dolly......

You would most certainly be welcome. My regular ride out mates have an RT1200 and an FJR1300 so your GSX would more than fit in. Incidentally FWIW, unless you are travelling transcontinental, I prefer the biffer to either of those (speaking from experience as have owned several of both) as a general all day, everyday bike. I would be interested to hear your comparison of the GSX v the biffer as that is a bike which also tickles my fancy.  One of our regular depart points, is the Services at the A50/A38 Toyota roundabout which would be quite handy for you. Happy to chat if you want to PM your mobile #.
Chris

Offline Peter T

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: stratford Upon A
Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2017, 09:30:19 PM
Now the weather is getting better might try to organise some ride out's.
Ice and snow is not ideal on any style of bike.!

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Reply #6 on: 17 January, 2017, 09:47:06 AM
*Originally Posted by Peter T [+]
Now the weather is getting better might try to organise some ride out's.
Ice and snow is not ideal on any style of bike.!

Sounds good - meet you at Rykas  :mfrlol:

Actually a lot of bikers carry on all year round, especially the club riders (for fun) or the commuters (out of necessity).  I don't mind cold or rain that much but the windblast chill factor does get unpleasant at motorway speeds and I prefer 10C & above.  Definitely avoid fog/snow/ice for obvious reasons too!

Can't really blame the ones who are fair-weather bikers either though - some people hate the cold or are worried about getting bikes filthy after a winter run, specially if they've got brand new shiny machines and obviously wanna keep 'em that way.  That's another reason for buying secondhand like me - as well as the cost saving  :001:

Offline Peter T

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: stratford Upon A
Reply #7 on: 17 January, 2017, 09:31:57 PM
Rykas..... that's my second home.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Reply #8 on: 17 January, 2017, 10:31:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Peter T [+]
Rykas..... that's my second home.

Thought it might be your local if you live in Leatherhead lol. Used to stop at Box Hill every year as a kid cos my parents always took us down to Sussex on hols.  Even my Dad used to spend ages just pointing out all the bikes to me (and no doubt remembering his youth!)  The club that I go out with sometimes is called LMRC and when they often use Rykas as a starting point.  Check them out on Meetup and if you join please tell them that 'TimCBF' told u about it  :028:

I don't mind those rides in Summer but tend to choose the NW London ones (Ace Cafe and South Mimms are places they meet too) cos Rykas is 45 miles from me and it's cold on the M25 early mornings now  :019: