Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mk2 headers on Mk1  (Read 831 times)

Offline alexibrow

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A-6
  • City / Town: Sussex
Mk2 headers on Mk1
« on: 23 October, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
Before anyone asks, I've searched the forum and can't find an answer to this question:
Has anyone successfully fitted Mk2 headers to a Mk1? If so, did they fit without modification or was some fettling involved?
I've read DeeCat's thread about blanking off the LH collector outlet, but I'm interested in going single sided using a bolt-on approach.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: Mk2 headers on Mk1
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2016, 10:47:35 AM »
Interesting question and I don't recall seeing a question of this nature either (richardcbf, the King of Search, will no doubt prove us both wrong :164:).  Does rather beg the question why you would want to do this other than IMO the twin zorsts are aesthetically pleasing and the stock MKII thing is a monstrosity.  I don't understand enough about the mechanics of exhausts but it does occur that there may be more to a change back, even if it is possible, fueling, or other bits that may physically get in the way on a MKII that aren't there on the MKI i.e. different design of the centre stand, n/s exhaust hanger plate most likely to be different etc.

Look on Fowlers Honda Parts website and you will find goo exploded diagrams of all MKI and MKII parts with the genuine Honda part numbers on them which may help you.  (Lings Honda parts also have the schematics but you have to jiggle with the URL to see the Honda part codes - and I can't remember now what the jiggle is).

You could also ask Honda, consumer mucha of your time, service - but based on previous experience I wouldn't be holding my breath there if I were you.  Probably better to download both MKI and MKII Honda Service manuals and look at the exploded diagrams there, at least it will give you a heads up and maybe some specific questions to ask of Honda.

Andy
 :149:
« Last Edit: 23 October, 2016, 11:12:01 AM by Bifferman »

Offline alexibrow

• CBF Pro
« Reply #2 on: 23 October, 2016, 10:34:34 PM »
There's a couple of good reasons to go single sided:
1) Weight saving.
2) Reduced cost of upgrading exhaust silencers; two decent aftermarket noisy cans for the Mk1 is going to sting me for the best part of £400.
3) Now I come to think of it, it would make it easier to clean the dirtier nearside of the bike too.

Offline alexibrow

• CBF Pro
« Reply #3 on: 23 October, 2016, 10:38:03 PM »
Basically, I need to know if the critical interfaces are the same on each bike, ie will the headers physically fit onto the cylinder head, and then clear the frame (which is different). The advantage of using a header that's designed to use a single exhaust is that the gas flow has already been accounted for, I don't have the knowledge to modify the twin exit headers.