Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi Topbox Security Loophole  (Read 3273 times)

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Re: Givi Topbox Security Loophole
« Reply #10 on: 25 August, 2016, 09:06:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Josiah [+]
Goods morning

I just thought I'd chip in on this one, if I was a little light fingered and was carrying tools to break into a motorbike top box, I probably would not bother breaking into the top box, I'd nick the bike and it's luggage, nicking bikes ain't rocket science, are we not getting a bit paranoid here.............

Josiah ( still )  :125: ( and perhaps kneeds a koffy or 3 )

Just cos I'm paranoid doesn't mean they ain't all out to get me  :mfrlol:

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
« Reply #11 on: 25 August, 2016, 09:11:30 AM »
Goods morning

I just thought I'd chip in on this one, if I was a little light fingered and was carrying tools to break into a motorbike top box, I probably would not bother breaking into the top box, I'd nick the bike and it's luggage, nicking bikes ain't rocket science, are we not getting a bit paranoid here.............

:0461:  Why would anyone spend time tying to steal a top box from a motorcycle ? .  They only contain biking junk and if they where really that desperate to steal the contents any top box or panniers can be opened with a scew driver in 3 seconds.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #12 on: 25 August, 2016, 06:55:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by shumba [+]
  :0461:  Why would anyone spend time tying to steal a top box from a motorcycle ? .  They only contain biking junk and if they where really that desperate to steal the contents any top box or panniers can be opened with a scew driver in 3 seconds.
Come on Dave, just because you happen to be biased* (against hard luggage) it doesn't mean other people don't believe differently and/or carry non-'junk'.
Anyway, you're contradicting yourself.....
*Originally Posted by shumba [+]
......They can be forced open in two seconds with a screw driver .and only make it appear there is something worth swiping inside . In all the years that  l have been using throw overs l have never had any thing touched ,Some one has said they are a hassle to get on and off ,l leave mine on for the duration of the trip, and  taken off when back home .My luggage is practical and well proven and that is what l will continue to use , l will be leave the hard luggage to the posers  and those that have a phobia and paranoia about having stuff pinched.

* https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?action=search2;params=eJwtjsEOgyAQRH-l6aWXOQiC1q8xCBtpg2JAbJrw8V0bb_PebiZj3GFWS64-qqj3WjKlvJFlzL4sk2E3pfMq0UJBC6gBuoWWkE_oBqqDaiB7CMgBUkO0YOggekh-4qC4JPv4GW1ctkA7cd2pyvQmu49xDd_LxLSP7pWYHGV7GaZEgf47T0UmWc_Sm-RuocyzmekHq9RC0A..

:150:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #13 on: 25 August, 2016, 07:12:36 PM »
Well I intend to go touring at some point and will be adding panniers as soon as funds permit, so I do want all my luggage to be as secure as possible..  Yeah agreed most of us are guilty of carrying a certain amount of junk in the topbox but i the last few weeks I've been on 2 overnight trips and spread my luggage between the box and a backpack.  I always remove the whole topbox before leaving the bike outside overnight and love the flexibility of the Givi Monokey system but was just shocked to discover that loophole, given that it is apparently designed with security in mind...

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
« Reply #14 on: 25 August, 2016, 07:51:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Come on Dave, just because you happen to be biased* (against hard luggage) it doesn't mean other people don't believe differently and/or carry non-'junk'.
Anyway, you're contradicting yourself.....
* https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?action=search2;params=eJwtjsEOgyAQRH-l6aWXOQiC1q8xCBtpg2JAbJrw8V0bb_PebiZj3GFWS64-qqj3WjKlvJFlzL4sk2E3pfMq0UJBC6gBuoWWkE_oBqqDaiB7CMgBUkO0YOggekh-4qC4JPv4GW1ctkA7cd2pyvQmu49xDd_LxLSP7pWYHGV7GaZEgf47T0UmWc_Sm-RuocyzmekHq9RC0A..

:150:

Sorry Richard that appeared to come across the wrong way, What I meant was that the contents of a top box would possibly be a road map padlock and chain ,or water proofs ,and a helmet if it will fit in , I cant imagine any up and coming tea leaves risking the wrath of the law for things with a very low second hand value,  I think any would be thieves would know that there would be nothing of any resale value worth taking a risk for.  I can only go by my own experience in 56 years of biking in several different
countries using throw over panniers and a hold all, nothing has ever been touched. Could it be that I have just been lucky .

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #15 on: 26 August, 2016, 05:02:40 AM »
Goods morning

I am with Josiah on this one. I have a full givi setup on the VFR in the UK. Having just recently spent 6 weeks on the roads across the UK, France, Spain and Portugal......no one has come anywhere touching my luggage on the bike. I did at times removed the panniers at night , but the top box seldom came off.  I will admit to having my phone(s) stolen on the last day in France....through my own stupidity though. I left one in the phone  holder case and the other on top of the dash while paying for petrol and having a bite to eat before getting to the Tunnel in Calais.
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
« Reply #16 on: 26 August, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sunset Rider [+]
I am with Josiah on this one. I have a full givi setup on the VFR in the UK. Having just recently spent 6 weeks on the roads across the UK, France, Spain and Portugal......no one has come anywhere touching my luggage on the bike. I did at times removed the panniers at night , but the top box seldom came off.  I will admit to having my phone(s) stolen on the last day in France....through my own stupidity though. I left one in the phone  holder case and the other on top of the dash while paying for petrol and having a bite to eat before getting to the Tunnel in Calais.

Ouch!  My phone, wallet and keys are the 3 things I keep with me at all times but I realise it's easy to get careless when tired or distracted.  I must admit the reason I'm getting so concerned (paranoid?) about security is due so hearing about several bike thefts recently in London, the latest being my mate who had his BMW S1000RR nicked from outside a restaurant in Shoreditch.  Also when staying at my friends' place in Somerset I came out one morning to find part of the plastic tank-protector broken off and missing so I knew some scally had been tampering with it...

Offline LUCFCB

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Zaventem
« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2016, 10:22:57 AM »
only piece of value in my top box is a spare stator  :015:
wallet, phone, keys etc are in the tankbag ... i walk away from my bike -> I take my tankbag ...

Offline Sunset Rider

• CBF Master
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #18 on: 27 August, 2016, 04:19:26 AM »
As pointed out somewhere above,you have a much higher chance of having the whole bike nicked than just the boxes.Certainly a tank bag may attract a different attention due to the ease of removal (especially the magnetic ones). if you eally want to get paranoid (and don't we all) I saw a couple of guys touring that had a strap (tie me down type) with a keyless padlock....I cant really remember where though. Presumably they did use it when leaving their bikes and touring visiting cities. I also noted similar padlock straps with luggage at airports.

As an aside, I note that you mentioned getting hard luggage when the funds permits. I obtained my Givi V35 and Givi Maxia 55L and relevant rack and rails from this chap in Leigh (north west of Manchester). I can't speak highly enough of him. He filtered through two months of enquiries before I bought my gear. I rode from London to his place one morning and he delivered on all the goods AND fitted the said luggage to my bike while it rain and hailed and the sun shone all in the space of a couple of hours. If you are in need of luggage give him a go.....i certainly dont regret it.

ronald anderson <andersonbaby2000@msn.com>
Cheers
Philippe
I might be mad or even slightly insane....but I LOVE my CBF1000GT

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #19 on: 27 August, 2016, 11:50:59 AM »
It would be quicker to THIEF  the bike than to try and unbolt spinning bolts.

If you are really worried about this Have a search on Ebay for shear nuts , they will solve your problem

:028:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

diverse-leafy