Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Metzeler RoadTec 01's?  (Read 9953 times)

Offline Peter T

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: stratford Upon A
Re: Metzeler RoadTec 01's?
« Reply #10 on: 16 January, 2017, 10:50:58 PM »
Well I tried the pilot road 3's when they came out and they were very good, but the front seemed to squirm a lot due to many stipes in the tyre, but they were great compared to what was available at the time.
The 4's reduced the amount of stipes at the front and they were better. But they are old now compared to the new market leaders, tyre compound changes very quickly and what was good 2-3 years ago changes, the new kid on the block is the Metzeler roadtec 01 and that is where I am going. I have a very good source as I go through a lot of tyres and what he sells is what people want and that is that. I am sure that a couple of years a new tyre/brand will be top dog.

Offline shumba

• CBF Legend
  • City / Town: lichfield
« Reply #11 on: 17 January, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Peter T [+]
Well I tried the pilot road 3's when they came out and they were very good, but the front seemed to squirm a lot due to many stipes in the tyre, but they were great compared to what was available at the time.
The 4's reduced the amount of stipes at the front and they were better. But they are old now compared to the new market leaders, tyre compound changes very quickly and what was good 2-3 years ago changes, the new kid on the block is the Metzeler roadtec 01 and that is where I am going. I have a very good source as I go through a lot of tyres and what he sells is what people want and that is that. I am sure that a couple of years a new tyre/brand will be top dog.

The roadtech 01 would be my first choice, as far as the new breed of tyres are concerned, The PR4s seem over priced old technology in comparison.
« Last Edit: 17 January, 2017, 08:42:00 AM by shumba »

Offline Peter T

• CBF Member
« Reply #12 on: 18 January, 2017, 08:07:37 AM »
Ok so I got back quite late yesterday after having my Roadtec 01 fitted. The first thing I noticed is how much quieter these are compared to the PR4's, secondly the bike turns in a lot quicker, not nervously so but much easier and this makes riding less tiring.
Grip wise is like night and day, the temperature last night in the south east was 0 degrees and my Kies heated jacket has got a loose connection somewhere so it heats for a while then stops, making my journey a stop start affair!! After giving my tyres at least 50 miles of wear I started to push towards the later part of my journey home to Warwickshire. It's like riding a new bike it flows through the bends and the feedback from the front tyre is amazing, something the PR4 never gave and this inspires more confidence as you can feel the road!!
Might have a play with the tyre pressures as I am running 34psi front and 36 psi rear and I thing the rear could do with some more pressure as it feels a bit low, but this could be my top box giving me this feeling rather than the tyre as I had quite a lot of weight in it which caused the bike to be top heavy.
Will report back after some better riding later this week.

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #13 on: 18 January, 2017, 09:24:42 AM »
...Will report back after some better riding later this week.
:028: thank you. Sounds very promising.

Offline Montblanc

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000 FAC
  • City / Town: Geneva
« Reply #14 on: 18 January, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »
Great info! I have a friend who rides BMWs and swears by the new Metzler's. I am on my third set of PR4's and getting about 10k miles per pair. Time for a change soon, I think.
Montblanc

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #15 on: 18 January, 2017, 04:17:45 PM »
Ok so I got back quite late yesterday after having my Roadtec 01 fitted. The first thing I noticed is how much quieter these are compared to the PR4's, secondly the bike turns in a lot quicker, not nervously so but much easier and this makes riding less tiring.
Grip wise is like night and day, the temperature last night in the south east was 0 degrees and my Kies heated jacket has got a loose connection somewhere so it heats for a while then stops, making my journey a stop start affair!! After giving my tyres at least 50 miles of wear I started to push towards the later part of my journey home to Warwickshire. It's like riding a new bike it flows through the bends and the feedback from the front tyre is amazing, something the PR4 never gave and this inspires more confidence as you can feel the road!!
Might have a play with the tyre pressures as I am running 34psi front and 36 psi rear and I thing the rear could do with some more pressure as it feels a bit low, but this could be my top box giving me this feeling rather than the tyre as I had quite a lot of weight in it which caused the bike to be top heavy.
Will report back after some better riding later this week.

Sounds awesome!  Also read some great reviews on the Metzeler tyres so will be changing to them on either the CBR or CBF when the need arises. BTW I set my pressurs to the manual which says Front : 36 & rear 42...

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #16 on: 18 January, 2017, 05:15:19 PM »
Good to get some feed back on a Biffer fitted with the 01's. It appears to chime with all I've heard and read.

Like  I said a while back, I'll definitely be replacing the OME Conti's with them in the Spring. They have been a lot better than the OME Bridgestones that were on my Mk1 when I got it back in 07 but that was a long time ago and light year away in tyre technology!  I had PR1's and then 2's on the Mk1 when the Bridgstones were done with and liked them both, there again they were a major step forward at the time.

The Mk2 has been OK on the Conti's but I've never been 100% happy with the feel of the front end, particularly when accelerating out of bends and roundabouts, so as I missed most of the "riding season" last year, I've promised myself a change. I figure its a relatively small amount to pay for the enjoyment, even though its not a necessity in terms of tread wear.

Offline Bloitz

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A (07)
« Reply #17 on: 19 January, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »

Well, I hope you aren't comparing a new tire to an old tire. IMHO, the PR4 felt very nimble when new. This disappeared as it wore though. But when new, I don't think there are other tires which fall into a corner so readily as a PR4 / PP3 .

Offline Peter T

• CBF Member
« Reply #18 on: 22 January, 2017, 10:19:27 PM »
Well I had another good ride out today covering 268 miles on my new tyres, it was minus 3 degrees when I left and the roads were a tad icy. These tyres gripped like I have never felt!! I actually rode faster than I ever had as these inspired such confidence. I can't believe how good they are and felt much better at high speed on the motorway too.
I replaced the pilot 4's that had done less than 1500 miles as you asked so the tyres where as new condition.

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #19 on: 23 January, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »
Well I had another good ride out today covering 268 miles on my new tyres, it was minus 3 degrees when I left and the roads were a tad icy. These tyres gripped like I have never felt!! I actually rode faster than I ever had as these inspired such confidence. I can't believe how good they are and felt much better at high speed on the motorway too.
I replaced the pilot 4's that had done less than 1500 miles as you asked so the tyres where as new condition.

Good to hear they are so confidence-inspiring even in these cold temps but please do take EXTRA care on ICY roads mate  :003:

BTW do you mind me asking how much they cost you?  Hope you didn't just throw the old ones in the bin with under 1500 miles either; must be a market for slightly worn tyres on Ebay surely?!