Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Metzeler RoadTec 01's?  (Read 9968 times)

Offline NeiljohnUK

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 F650GS
  • City / Town: Soton.
Metzeler RoadTec 01's?
« on: 12 August, 2016, 01:40:05 PM »
Anyone tried them yet?
Formerly an EMT (1), now a Superintendent, not that makes any difference, still just as crazy...
I ride for pleasure, commute mostly by PTW, do most of my own spannering.
Started to do my IAM, having done the RoSPA version years ago, seems I'm not fast enough, unlike the Chief Observer I'm not prepared to do 50+ in a 40 limit, so I've given it up as a bad job, 'too slow to pass, too old to care'!

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: Metzeler RoadTec 01's?
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2016, 02:51:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by NeiljohnUK [+]
Anyone tried them yet?

Got a single 10" Metzeller on my wheel barrow - terrific grip :001:.

Actualy I did manage to buy half a dozen 10 x 3.5 wheel barrow tyres once - triple ply things and made by Dunlop.  The looked every bit as good as my Pirelli or Ceat tyres I was using on my Lambretta's at the time so gave them a whirl and they turned out to be brilliant :028:.  One Mich or Pirelli 10 x 3.5 back in the early 1970's was three pounds 15 shillings, the Ceat's a little less.  Job lot od Dunblops from a farm sale for 3 quids the lot.

Only other time I used Metzeller's was on my Yammie Viragos and they were absolutely brilliant then as well.  Why is it they don't sell all that well in Brexit land, I think Continental own them as well as they do Pirelli now so they will have good technology in them.  They are also OEM equipment on BMW's and at least BMW didn't stoop as low as Honda using the Stone 57's.

Hopefully the new Metzeller Roadtec 01's will be as good or better than the Z8's that Andyinvienna used to swear by.

Here is a May 2016 review and they come out highly rated:  http://www.cycleworld.com/metzeler-roadtec-01-motorcycle-tire-review-first-ride

What Metzeler's marketing peeps have to say:   http://www.metzeler.com/site/uk/products/tyres-catalogue/Roadtec-01.html

and Visordown's view:  http://www.visordown.com/features/products/review-metzeler-roadtec-01-tyres-%C2%A3240-%C2%A3250-per-pair

Not cheap though at £250 a pair but just competitive with PR4's and Stone T30 Evo's.

Andy
 :149:

Offline gordonh

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 2009,
  • City / Town: Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2016, 04:38:19 PM »
Very interested also. Fancy trying a pair
Two pair of z8 have had excellent road holding capability especially in wet conditions. Downside is terrible tracking on lines on the road. Certain roads that my old Genesis runs fine on with Bridgestone. The Cbf regular gives me a railroad effect and won't steer with me. It's pretty clear to see why as raised arc grooves appear in the tread pattern after the tyre starts to wear.
The z1 appears to have a much better shaped tread hopefully. :261:
lower fairings, heated grips, hand shields, rear hugger, luggage, rad cover, chain cover, rear handles  Z8 Metzlers scot oiley taller screen.

Offline NeiljohnUK

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000 F650GS
  • City / Town: Soton.
« Reply #3 on: 14 October, 2016, 09:43:33 PM »
Update, fitted them a month ago, several hundred wet and dry miles later I'm well pleased, better than PR's were.
Formerly an EMT (1), now a Superintendent, not that makes any difference, still just as crazy...
I ride for pleasure, commute mostly by PTW, do most of my own spannering.
Started to do my IAM, having done the RoSPA version years ago, seems I'm not fast enough, unlike the Chief Observer I'm not prepared to do 50+ in a 40 limit, so I've given it up as a bad job, 'too slow to pass, too old to care'!

Offline gordonh

• CBF Pro
« Reply #4 on: 14 October, 2016, 10:10:51 PM »
Sounds good so on shopping list.
 Been away from home working so much haven't got new rubber yet.
Quote £250 fitted in Aberdeen for a pair of 01s sounds ok.
Picked up a 2000 f650gs last time home as Another winter bike.
It has a new pair of Metzler enduro style semi knobly tyres fitted. Seem ok. :031:
lower fairings, heated grips, hand shields, rear hugger, luggage, rad cover, chain cover, rear handles  Z8 Metzlers scot oiley taller screen.

Offline Bloitz

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000A (07)
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2016, 02:07:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by gordonh [+]
Sounds good so on shopping list.
 Been away from home working so much haven't got new rubber yet.
Quote £250 fitted in Aberdeen for a pair of 01s sounds ok.
Picked up a 2000 f650gs last time home as Another winter bike.
It has a new pair of Metzler enduro style semi knobly tyres fitted. Seem ok. :031:

Which ones?
If they are the Metzeler tourance (not the Tourance Next) then I will have to disappoint you: they kind of suck. Didn't really like them in the wet or anything remotely off-road. They're a long lasting road tyre hyped up by chubby GS blokes who think a dry flat gravel path is "off-roading".  :232:
Pardon my rant but I have never been more disappointed in a tyre than those, especially after reading a lot of good "reviews" by those "off-roaders".
(PS: I have been very pleased with the Mitas E-07 as a proper dual-sport tyre. Work great on wet or dry hardtop and pull their weight off-road. Deep mud is deep mud though, don't bog down or you will be pushing. Might be worth checking them out when your F650GS needs new rubber.)

Offline gordonh

• CBF Pro
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2016, 02:36:31 PM »
Pretty sure they are tourance.
Bmw is Just a bike for the road to save the CBF from the worst of winter.
 If I get good mileage then all the better.
Our roads were extremely bad last winter.
Single cylinder 650 should slow me down sufficiently on cold naff greasy roads. Should still be a bit of fun with plenty back roads in our area.
01 Metzler seems a decent option for Honda tho.
I have a couple of old bikes with nobblies for off road if I had time to use them that is.

Offline Brit182

• CBF God
  • Bike: 2012 CBF1000FAC
  • City / Town: West London
« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2016, 10:12:58 AM »
There's an MCN Blind Testing video on You Tube done earlier this year of a group of sport touring tyers under pretty strict conditions.

01's won with a score of 9.8 out of 10.

Will be going for them in the Spring (don't ride much over the winter) I think. My original Contis have loads on them but they have been in use since 2012 so could be sensible to swap them out now.

Offline Peter T

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: stratford Upon A
« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2017, 09:27:38 PM »
Putting a set on my biffer tomorrow, changing from Pilot road 4's which I don't like even though they have only done 1200 miles on them, (on the bike when I bought it)
Will update tomorrow as riding 160 miles after they are fitted.

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
« Reply #9 on: 16 January, 2017, 09:40:43 PM »
Like to hear your report, yet new tires are kind of....new? As in slippery.
Most people love their PR4's so I'm surprised that you are unhappy with them. What was the bad news please?