Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: my biffer is dying at idle and low revs  (Read 1316 times)

Offline biffski

• Bike: cbf1000 mk1
my biffer is dying at idle and low revs
« on: 12 July, 2016, 03:31:12 PM »
Hi gang Ive been having this problem for about a week now and it's quite annoying and a bit dangerous

it is cutting out at low revs and idle, but it is a bit intermittent. usually it will happen once or twice when I'm out on short runs, sometimes a lot more. but coming upto and pulling away from sets of lights and roundabouts and low speed corners seems to be where this problem strikes, but it usually starts up again fairly promptly. after reading a couple of threads I'm thinking it might be the tps sensor, but it doesn't seem to be over fuelling (i did some motorway miles recently and got 170 between stops)

the bike is a mk1 with 27k on the clock, it had a set of plugs (not iridiums) around 9k ago when it had the valve clearances done and a new lithium battery about 2.5k ago

any ideas where I should start?

thanks biffski

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
Re: my biffer is dying at idle and low revs
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2016, 07:03:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by biffski [+]
Hi gang Ive been having this problem for about a week now and it's quite annoying and a bit dangerous

it is cutting out at low revs and idle, but it is a bit intermittent. usually it will happen once or twice when I'm out on short runs, sometimes a lot more. but coming upto and pulling away from sets of lights and roundabouts and low speed corners seems to be where this problem strikes, but it usually starts up again fairly promptly. after reading a couple of threads I'm thinking it might be the tps sensor, but it doesn't seem to be over fuelling (i did some motorway miles recently and got 170 between stops)

the bike is a mk1 with 27k on the clock, it had a set of plugs (not iridiums) around 9k ago when it had the valve clearances done and a new lithium battery about 2.5k ago

any ideas where I should start?

thanks biffski
Here's my suggestion....
http://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-24%20TROUBLESHOOTING.pdf
+
http://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-19%20IGNITION%20SYSTEM.pdf
+
http://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/2006-2008-CBF1000-A-6%20FUEL%20SYSTEM.pdf

Other sections of the workshop manual (as referred to in above) are here....
http://bob.ollis-brown.co.uk/manuals/cbf1000/

:028:

As you've found, there are several previous reports of stalling / engine cutting out at low revs, but no apparent common cause, with suggestions including Main Ground connection at chassis/frame, CKP sensor, ac generator system (stator failing), MAF sensor, MAP sensor.
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Nuff

• CBF God
  • Bike: Black A7
  • City / Town: Milton Keynes
« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2016, 08:47:20 PM »
TPS, Stator, or number 3 HT lead. Common enough failures.
Take my advice or not, I really don't care. I'm just telling you what I think and would do on my bike.

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Nuff [+]
TPS, Stator, or number 3 HT lead. Common enough failures.

And lack of petrol  :430:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2016, 08:19:04 PM »
FI and engine management have a new set of pros & cons - how I long for the 'good old days' when you could just clean the carbs, replace the idle jets & job done  :mfrlol:

Offline arbra

• CBF Member
  • City / Town: Sweden / Belgium
« Reply #5 on: 03 February, 2018, 04:28:29 PM »
Thanks Richard for your Pdf link. Is there a way to troubbleshoot these different elements / sensors ?

My Mk1 is stalling on low rev or on idle only.. for the rest ignition is good and engine rev normally and i didn't notice higher fuel consumption. Bike has little mileage ... about 40.000 km / 25.000 miles

Do you have any clue what it could be ?

I can resist anything but temptation (o.w)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Cbf 1000 abs 2007
Transalp 600 & 650

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2018, 12:14:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by arbra [+]
Thanks Richard for your Pdf link. Is there a way to troubbleshoot these different elements / sensors ?

My Mk1 is stalling on low rev or on idle only.. for the rest ignition is good and engine rev normally and i didn't notice higher fuel consumption. Bike has little mileage ... about 40.000 km / 25.000 miles

Do you have any clue what it could be ?
Just one possibility (I recommend a 'search'* of the forum for stall or stalling)....
*https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php?action=search

*Originally Posted by derryvolgie [+]
Re: Missing at low revs, rough idle and stalling
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2017, 05:51:51 PM »

:001: :001: :001:
Good news. Feedback from service reception at Fowlers (Bristol), the Honda technician found a vacuum hose to the MAP with a split. This was allowing air entry which gave an incorrect message that the fuel system was too lean. The compensating extra fuel was making the mixture too rich - hence the lumpy running. They think the age of the vacuum hose was the problem. I remember this was an issue with my Saab 9000, so I may do the same as did with it and replace all the vacuum hoses with silicone. Anyway, very pleased that a specific problem was found and remedied.

The ride to the dealer this morning was crap, with wet, busy roads and the bike switching between power suddenly cutting in or stalling! I pick it up tomorrow so I hope the journey home will be more fun. If not, I will let you know.

Ironically, the TPS arrived today from China! I don't regret it. For £19 I have a spare if I need it. BTW it came without a gasket and I read on this site that no gasket is fitted as standard. Anyone have any suggestions about getting/making a gasket and improving water-proofing?

Thanks all for your input. I hope this is useful to someone in the future

Martin
:084:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline kanduur

• Bike: CBF1000A7
  • City / Town: Budapest
« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2018, 09:36:04 AM »
Thank you for the idea, I will check it today!

:028: :028:

Offline kanduur

« Reply #8 on: 25 August, 2018, 06:54:56 PM »
Dear Guys!

I have an idle issue and possibly you could help me ti find a solution.
I searched on the forum for hours, but until now I didn't find any solution...
I have a CBF1000 2007 ABS, with me since 2016(83000km), now we are at 132k km.
At about 100.000 I realized that the idle speed by warmed bike is somewhere 1000 and 1050, sometimes jumps to 950rpm.
I went to a Honda dealer and service, they checked IACV, throttle free play and said that I have to replace the ECM or I can use it like that because it doesn't cause any issues. I said ok, maybe later.
2 weeks ago the AC pump died, it has been replaced, since that the low idle became worse.
By starting the bike it goes up to 1300 (cold start), slowly rises to 1500 in about 20 sec. After warming up, idle goes to 1000-1100. When I ride and stop somewhere (red lamp or similar) or during riding just pull the clutch, the idle drops between 600-900, nosiy like I take E85 gasoline to a Trabant, 2 times it completely stopped.

Last time I get it back from the service one screw was partly unscrewed, blinker was disconnected, I don't want to give it back if they don't care about it.
I replaced yesterday the MAP sensor hoses, I blowed a half bottle of break cleaner but didn't find anything.

As I an not a bike mechanic, I could just imagine that during running the idle air / fuel is reduced, that should be corrected during I cut the throttle.
Here should be a valve, sensor that should be faulty but I'm out of ideas.

Do you have any ideas regarding this issue? I would be happy if I could solve this issue without giving my bike back to a service for another 2-3 weeks in august...

Thanks for any help!  :003:

Offline kanduur

« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2018, 11:38:48 AM »
Aaaand, nobody answered, I share the solution.
Check and clean the full IACV system, holes, hoses.

diverse-leafy