Author Topic: Hey all, new user, look what I found in the back of my truck. Need some advice.  (Read 2691 times)

Offline gemini8026

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000
  • City / Town: Saskatoon
Hey guys.  Jeff in Sk, Canada here.  Been riding foir around 10 years on and off.  Learned on an old '82 GS 350, then bought myself a Kawasaki Z1000.  Sold it and took a few years off.  Found an old CB750 in a neighbors back yard and bought it.  It rekindled my passion for biking.  So I went on a mission looking for a newer machine.

Long story short, I found this guy.

2009 model year.   8000Km (or 5000 miles for you USA folks) .  Original tires.  Has ABS

It was a bike from a large auction liquidator so I have NO idea about its back story, but the price was right and judging from it's appearance it looks in really good shape.  I couldn't find any noticeable oil leaks or anything that had me worried.  I put in a low ball price and got it.

Loaded it up in the back of the truck and brought it home.  Went around the block once, and it seems everything is fine.  No lights are lighting up indicating any issues.

So now I want to get it properly serviced so I can ride it and make it mine.

Definite oil change + filter.  Cooling fluid is right near the low mark, should I drain or just top up?
Lube chain.

What else.  Im not overly bike savvy, but I want to ensure the right things are lubed and everything that needs to be checked should be.

Back tire is already being ordered as this one has minimal tread left (survived 8000km).  Can someone suggest which brand they prefer and what model.  Im not going thru the twisties too heavy, so Id like something that I could get many KM out of.

Any help/advice would be appreciated for a happy new CBf1000 owner.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
 :405:
If you search on service manual, you'll find copies for both the model you have and the later version.
Both are worth downloading and will help answer many of your early questions.
If they don't, ask away as I'm sure the members here will provide the answers.
As for tyres, the most popular on this bike are Michelin PR4's or the earlier PR3's.

Offline gemini8026

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Super.  I found a high quality manual online.  I assumed I would have to order it, but lucked out.

Going to read through it here over lunch.

Any quick "must do" mods?!?  I dont think its worth dumping tons of cash into performance as Im not a speed demon, but I am always open to simple mods to free up the engine or have it running optimally for under 500$

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
Shouldn't need any mods.
After a full service, the bike should be good to go.
Only a couple of weaknesses in the early model: possible failing stator and sometimes tired suspension.
Neither should give you cause for concern at this stage.

Offline J-man

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF1000A6
Good luck with the asset and  :405:

Offline gemini8026

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
It seems motorcycle 10w30 isnt overly common at Walmart or Cdn Tire here.  Is using regular Synthetic 10w30 a mistake?!  Ive been searching online and there is a ton of various oils, but it seems 10w30 is rare for motorcycles.

Curious....

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
*Originally Posted by gemini8026 [+]
2009 model year.   8000Km (or 5000 miles for you USA folks) .  Original tires.  Has ABS

Hey Jeff,
 :401:
Can't open your image file but that's a great discovery - very low mileage for year!  (mine is also 2009 but 20,000 miles).
Enjoy  :152:
Tim

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
*Originally Posted by gemini8026 [+]
It seems motorcycle 10w30 isnt overly common at Walmart or Cdn Tire here.  Is using regular Synthetic 10w30 a mistake?!  Ive been searching online and there is a ton of various oils, but it seems 10w30 is rare for motorcycles.

Curious....
You don't need synthetic - you can use 10-40 instead of 10-30

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline gemini8026

• CBF Newbie
  • Topic Author
Thanks Alan.  I called the local dealership and they have regular 10w30, and 10w40 synthetic.  What would u recommend?  IS it worth the extra cash to go full synthetic?!

Offline Markytp

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS-A
  • City / Town: Leeds
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you got a great deal  :028:
2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure with all the toys.