Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitted Replacement Lithium Ion/Iron Battery  (Read 1531 times)

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
Re: Fitted Replacement Lithium Ion/Iron Battery
« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2017, 07:28:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jex [+]
Time for a new battery so have taken the plunge and fitted a lithium battery, in an effort to embrace modern technology and satisfy my curiosity.

Working fine after one day in use, I'll maintain a healthy level of scepticism and report back if there are any unexpected events!

:062:  Be interested to hear how it goes

Offline Jex

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A-6
  • City / Town: Cambridge
« Reply #11 on: 12 February, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »
20 month update

This morning battery completely failed to start the bike for the first time, and was clearly pretty sickly and out of power, despite having been on a charger for the week or so since the last outing.

It has been increasingly struggling to hold its voltage up over the past few weeks, so I guess has been on the way out for a little while.

It occurred to me that while it has been on a decent charger when not in use, the charger in question (Oxford Oximiser 900) doesn't have a low temperature cut-off and so will have been attempting to charge the battery the sub-zero temperatures in recent weeks in the UK, which apparently is a big no-no for lithium batteries and can permanently damage them. Also, just riding in cold conditions will mean the battery potentially spends a few minutes being 'cold-charged' at the start of a ride before everything warms up...

So, perhaps repeated charging/topping up at low temperatures has permanently degraded it, or perhaps it has just died of natural causes, albeit after only 20 months.

So, now debating whether to replace with another lithium ion battery, perhaps with a more intelligent charger with low temperature detection, or to go back to the standard Yuasa YTZ10S  :084:.

The major benefit has been the increased cranking amps (240 as opposed to 190 for YTZ10S) which has meant a first time start in all weathers up until now, whereas the previous YTZ10S sometimes took a few goes when it was still in good condition, but if cold conditions are going to be more of a problem than I thought then perhaps a more conventional battery is a better bet...
« Last Edit: 12 February, 2018, 01:28:59 PM by Jex »

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #12 on: 14 February, 2018, 09:06:27 PM »
Interesting... Still not taken the plunge i.e. made the leap from Lead Acid to Li Ion yet.

Although the specs look good and the weight difference is impressive of course!

I read on a previous post that they may need to be 'woken up' before asking them to crank the engine from cold.  I seem to recall from that post that just switching the headlights on for a minute or two can coerce them into action so to speak...

Offline Jex

• CBF Member
  • Bike: CBF1000A-6
  • City / Town: Cambridge
« Reply #13 on: 15 February, 2018, 08:16:40 AM »
Yes, performance was very solid until it started to fall over.

Tried the 'waking up' routine with this one, but in this case it just finished it off to the point where it couldn't even crank the engine. It doesn't help that the overall capacity is less than half the OEM lead acid battery.

I think a lot of the lifetime might be down to the quality of the built-in (or not, as the case may be) management system in the battery which regulates charging, balances cells, etc. If it's not great and you're charging it with a charger or bike electrical system that isn't sympathetic to the subtleties of lithium batteries that probably doesn't help.

For example, lithium batteries are best stored at medium charge (i.e. around 50%) rather than continuously topped up, and also don't appreciate being charged at high current when nearly full, both of which happen in ordinary riding and storage on a charger (unless a specific lithium one).

Perhaps keeping it on a charger when not in use does more harm than good, given the very low self-discharge rate  :084:

diverse-leafy