Author Topic: Invisible!  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Austin1998

• CBF Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012
  • City / Town: St.Albert
Invisible!
on: 18 May, 2016, 03:42:44 AM
Well I have heard about this for the last 30 years but never quite believed it.  A couple of weeks ago while travelling down a major artery, a Toyota Highlander came through a stop sign across 3 lanes of traffic and pinned me right behind the left front wheel.  At no point did the woman driving even begin to brake until after the impact.  She ran up to me sobbing she couldn't believe she didn't see me. Apparently despite my yellow helmet and bold black and white jacket I truly was invisible to her.  The bike is repairable but will have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for parts from mother Honda.  I walked away with battered knees and some torn rib cartilage and the expected bruises but count myself totally lucky.

Offline mwithe

• CBF Member
  • Bike: 15 MK2, 08 NT700
  • City / Town: Hatfield
Re: Invisible!
Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2016, 10:15:01 AM
Glad to hear you are OK.

Wish you a speedy recovery for you and the bike.
Mike
Vision without action is merely a dream. Action without vision just passes the time. Vision with action can change the world.- Joel A. Barker

Offline Trance-Elbow

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A8 (Mk1)
  • City / Town: Crawley
Re: Invisible!
Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2016, 12:30:07 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are OK.

I bought a bright gold/yellow Biffer hoping to increase my visibility, but it didn't make any difference at all. Drivers still seem to find me invisible at times. I suspect that even if I had a blue flashing light on top of my helmet, they still wouldn't see me.

In fact a few years ago, while commuting to work I saw a marked Police car coming up the outside of the traffic I was filtering passed, so I pulled into a gap. They had sirens blaring and blue lights aplenty going on. Moments after they passed me, a car pulled out of the line of traffic right in front of them to make a right turn. How the Police missed the car, I have no idea. The Police didn't look pleased at all, but carried on to their emergency. The thing is, if I hadn't pulled in, that car would have cut across in front of me instead of the Police  :005:
Regards.
Chris