Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Insurance Renewal - That time of year again !  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Insurance Renewal - That time of year again !
« on: 12 May, 2016, 07:41:03 PM »
Just renewed my Biffer insurance at Premium of £107 :028:.  Extensive comprehensive cover with Equity Red Star via CIA (Honda's Insurance people).  OK I have 10+ years NCB and ERS did not count my no fault claim against me when my bike was knocked over 5 years ago.  This includes 90 days comp cover in EU countries, if they let me in after my exertions for the Leave campaign :015:.  A further £54 will give me EU breakdown cover for a year which is either fix over there of repatriate back to Blighty which sounds fairly reasonable to me.

The Ins for my aged Ovlov falls at about the same time and I insure through Volvo/Sun alliance.  Comp cover (on a car worth between £600 - 800 with a full years MOT :008:) but for the princely sum of £178, me and Les driving SDP and work and I have to say that this is less than I was paying nearly 20 years ago - absolutely Ace :152:.

AND my petrol tank no longer leaks :046: :001:.

Andy
 :149:

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
Re: Insurance Renewal - That time of year again !
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:55:31 PM »
Just renewed on my Mk.II with CN.
6yr NCB (only back to riding in 2010), plus HISS and ground anchored in a brick built garage: £144 Fully Comp.

Also got a quote for a new Explorer today at £380, but negotiated that down to £286.
Biggest difference is in limiting the annual mileage to 5K and taking a total excess of £750.
No difference with or without pillion cover.

Offline Markytp

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS-A
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2016, 09:07:38 PM »
It puzzles me about the "limiting the mileage to 5k" or any amount for that matter.

How do they check?

I've never given starting mileage for bike or car in the past so how do they know I'm not doing a Robo and doing 200k a month????
2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure with all the toys.

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2016, 09:09:15 PM »
Probably based on simple maths if you put in a claim; no doubt someone is responsible for taking a reading.

Offline hondacbf

• CBF Master
  • Bike: Honda CBF1000A
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2016, 10:13:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Markytp [+]
It puzzles me about the "limiting the mileage to 5k" or any amount for that matter.

How do they check?

I've never given starting mileage for bike or car in the past so how do they know I'm not doing a Robo and doing 200k a month????

One place they would check would be from your MOT printouts and compare this against your
current odometer reading.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #5 on: 13 May, 2016, 07:27:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by hondacbf [+]
One place they would check would be from your MOT printouts and compare this against your
current odometer reading.

And they DO check if there is a large liability claim against you.  MOT records have recorded the mileage at date of MOT for a number of years now so that is simples for them from 3 years onwards.  Most people maintain their service records well in the early years of a bikes life i.e. have the dealer do servicing at least through the warranty period so there is very likely to be some record of mileage there.  Put another way, not exactly a brain teasing task for an insurance investigator should the need arise.  An insurance contract is one of 'Uberrima fides' (posh speak for 'utmost good faith) so tell them porkies and get a significant declaration wrong and they could walk away. 

« Last Edit: 13 May, 2016, 07:48:21 AM by Bifferman »

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »
A few years ago my courier ins limited me to 30k a year. otherwise it was more expensive.
I over came this by correcting the mileage before the Mot. Not illegal  to do.

Now days courier ins is cheaper and there are more companies offering it so my speedo untouched. :028:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline mrgrumpy2

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Ex 1200
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2016, 05:04:58 PM »
Quite pleased to renew my insurance for £95, only £20 more than last year on my NC700.
Upgrading to Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: 18 August, 2016, 08:17:26 PM »
Good price Andy - unfortunately I only have that much NCB on (1) car - got about 8 years on (1) bike - I hate the way they make you build up NCB on each vehicle you own it's a F'ing ripoff IMHO.  Oh and ANY accident on any other policy MUST be declared on EVERY quote you get... 

Regarding mileage, mods, anything else they ask you that can affect your premium, no they don't usually check until when or if you need to claim but then they could refuse to pay out (or pay out a reduced amount) so no point in trying to pull the wool over their eyes is there?  It may be unfair but insurance is all about peace of mind so tell the truth and ride with a clear conscience  :mfrlol:

diverse-leafy