Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CBF running temperature  (Read 8647 times)

Offline Stuart Fordyce

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 F8
  • City / Town: London
Re: CBF running temperature
« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2016, 01:08:22 PM »
Joining in here as mine runs rather hot. At the moment any stop at traffic lights brings on the temperature light. The coolant level is fine and there's no obvious leak. I do run a rad guard. However, I don't want to cook the head gasket or anything - have I got a duff thermostat, or is there anything else to check? O2 sensor, temp sensor or the like? I've had a look through the old threads and yet to find a conclusive answer.
"Riding Bikes in London, that's mad, that is" - Guy Martin to me, December 2009
"I think it's sexy when a man rides a motorcycle" - Scarlett Johansson

Offline gingernutz

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: 2009 CBF1000GT
  • City / Town: Angmering
« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2016, 09:12:44 PM »
Obviously a cbf thing,  mine is hot too. I stopped to filter through heavy traffic after a long run one day last week and just then it started to rain - hey presto huge cloud of steam.  :034:
A long time foccer turned biffer
CBF1000 GT in black

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:20:42 PM »
Guy's n Underpant wearers you own a CBF. runs hot in winter and hotter in summer.

:062: you wish :047:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline bazza696

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Witham
« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2016, 11:05:30 AM »
My only concern would be that if you are doing a lot of town riding and not getting the bike up to a 30mph or more, then you may start to run the battery a little low.
1998 Honda VTR1000F
2008 Honda CBF1000

Offline Trance-Elbow

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A8 (Mk1)
  • City / Town: Crawley
« Reply #14 on: 05 May, 2016, 11:50:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stuart Fordyce [+]
Joining in here as mine runs rather hot. At the moment any stop at traffic lights brings on the temperature light......

In 8 years, I've never seen the temperature light come on. That would worry me greatly!!  :005:

Could be thermostat or a weak pump or something. Does the service manual suggest any possible cause's and/or tests to carry out?
Regards.
Chris

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #15 on: 05 May, 2016, 02:28:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Trance-Elbow [+]
In 8 years, I've never seen the temperature light come on. That would worry me greatly!!  :005:

Could be thermostat or a weak pump or something. Does the service manual suggest any possible cause's and/or tests to carry out?

:0461:  It would concern me as well and I wouldn't run the bike until I had sorted it.  I have had my bike for 9 years come July and never seen the light come on when riding the bike but the fan does come on early.  If fan was coming on without the coolant indicator light then I wouldn't worry at all because this is normal.  Coolant light coming on is NOT normal.

Fan comes on so it can't be the wiring connector which has occasionally been an issue for a few (small number).  You need to read the MKI Service Manual - search 'Service Manual MKI' and you will find the link.  Chapter 7-4 Trouble Shooting.  Coolant change (if it has not been changed since 2006, change it with the correct anti freeze), indeed is the coolant level correct.  A couple have had to change the thermostat which is located in a housing under the fuel tank - lift tank at front and hinge at rear to access but it is covered in the manual anyway.  If you remove the thermostat the manual gives detailed instructions on how to check if it is OK.  The thermostat is more likely rather than the pump (you can hear that by putting a screw driver blade on the pump housing and ear to other end), the ECT sensor or the fan control relay which I have never heard of fritzing.

Just sort it, before you run the bike any more.
  If you can't do the work or prefder not to this is not a major job for a stealer to sort.  The most expensive bit will be the coolant additive and try not to get ripped by using Honda's own.

Andy
 :149:

p.s.  Steam coming from the rad when it has been raining and you come to a stand still is almost always due to there being no drain hole in the lower frame of the radiator.  Also happens when you have cleaned the bike and hosed it down so unless you can actually see water pis*ing out of the rad somewhere don't let it concern you.
« Last Edit: 05 May, 2016, 05:53:35 PM by Bifferman »

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #16 on: 05 May, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bifferman [+]
The most expensive bit will be the coolant additive and try not to get ripped by using Honda's own.
A dealer quoted me about £16 for coolant yesterday.

Offline Stuart Fordyce

• CBF Pro
« Reply #17 on: 05 May, 2016, 07:40:29 PM »
Sorted it out. My radiator cover had trapped a lot of crap behind it. I suspect Attenborough would have been interested. I have removed the rad cover now.

I have always been a little wary when washing the radiator. I had to replace mine a few years ago, which was an expensive business. I have perhaps been a little gentle with the hosepipe.

The thermostat will be tested when I change the coolant at the 40k service at the end of the month.

Offline Stuart Fordyce

• CBF Pro
« Reply #18 on: 05 May, 2016, 07:43:42 PM »
Going through other replies. The coolant level is OK, and it's worth me pointing out that I instruct in a very hilly part of South London. My bike is invariably going very slowly in traffic, and I spend an inordinate amount of time waiting at traffic lights.

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
« Reply #19 on: 05 May, 2016, 08:12:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stuart Fordyce [+]
Going through other replies. The coolant level is OK, and it's worth me pointing out that I instruct in a very hilly part of South London. My bike is invariably going very slowly in traffic, and I spend an inordinate amount of time waiting at traffic lights.

There are other instructors on here who ride a MKI and they do NOT have the coolant light coming on.   There are also peeps who ride in very much higher temps than we have here and same.  It should not come on at all.

Glad you have found one possible cause.  Glad you are going to check the thermostat when you have the coolant changed.  The coolant which basically a 50:50 mix with distilled water also acts to cool the engine so good that you are having this changed as well.

Sounds as if you are heading in the right direction so hope it all works out fine.

Andy
 :149:

diverse-leafy