Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CBF running temperature  (Read 7459 times)

Offline Bifferman

• Ex Member
Re: CBF running temperature
« Reply #40 on: 21 May, 2016, 03:07:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Robo [+]
:0461: but who will dare to fit that, this takes more than sticky tape to fit.

It still will only give you a reading, the fan cools the engine, so Like I said but I've been told its pointless , fitting a toggle switch to activate the fan would do better.How many CBF's suffer from over heating :260:
 :028:

Errrrrr, don't know Gov .................... I guess only those who's fan has misbehaved :015:.  I remember the first case of overheating on here, it was years ago and (I think) it was a loose wire to the fan after someones bike had been in for a service.  A quick reconnection and all was well again.  Has there not been someone in the last year or so who had a thermostat that needed replacing.  All pretty rare though.

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #41 on: 22 May, 2016, 10:56:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by gedspeed [+]
The top hose is not a good point to check the temperature overall,  if the thermostat fails then the coolant will not flow through the top hose,  temperature reading will be distorted.

Best is probe fitted near th water jacket on the head.

Ged
Good point, locating the sensor on top hose would also enable a failure of thermostat to be 'highlighted'.  :028:  :007:
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #42 on: 23 May, 2016, 10:10:02 AM »
 All good stuff and interesting points / advice and whilst it's a good idea to design systems to be 'fail-proof' (as opposed to 'foolproof' lol) if you take it to extremes you'll run out of dashboard space to put all the gauges not to mention the distraction and 'information overload' trying to read them!

On any liquid cooled vehicle (most of my experience over the years is on cars so far) there are various components in the system that are potential points of failure; e.g. radiator, fan, thermostat, water pump etc., coolant itself and hoses / watertight / airtight connections. If you experience a sudden loss of coolant or de-pressurisation of the system that could also prove catastrophic to the engine and the sensors / gauges may not help much either as they work better at reading water temp not air...

Finally, people are concerned about the lack of coolant temp gauge and the possibility of the warning LED failing but nobody has warned about the possibility of the OIL pressure LED or sensor failing: not enough oil circulation to lubricate / cool an engine is an equally worrying situation...  Should we all fit oil pressure gauges too?!

Offline gedspeed

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW R1200RS SE
  • City / Town: Blackpool Lancs
« Reply #43 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:20:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by SaturnV [+]
All good stuff and interesting points / advice and whilst it's a good idea to design systems to be 'fail-proof' (as opposed to 'foolproof' lol) if you take it to extremes you'll run out of dashboard space to put all the gauges not to mention the distraction and 'information overload' trying to read them!

On any liquid cooled vehicle (most of my experience over the years is on cars so far) there are various components in the system that are potential points of failure; e.g. radiator, fan, thermostat, water pump etc., coolant itself and hoses / watertight / airtight connections. If you experience a sudden loss of coolant or de-pressurisation of the system that could also prove catastrophic to the engine and the sensors / gauges may not help much either as they work better at reading water temp not air...

Finally, people are concerned about the lack of coolant temp gauge and the possibility of the warning LED failing but nobody has warned about the possibility of the OIL pressure LED or sensor failing: not enough oil circulation to lubricate / cool an engine is an equally worrying situation...  Should we all fit oil pressure gauges too?!

There could be a built in engine cut out if temp gets too high or loss of oil pressure, if there isn't there should be.!

Ged
BMW R1200RS Sport SE , blue pearl white

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #44 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
 :460:
True Ged, just as there is a built in cut-out for excess engine speed, i.e. red zone of rev counter...

Unfortunately that's not the case, according to the manual but others may be able to correct that assumption?

Tim

Offline jm2

• CBF Master
  • Bike: MkII in NHA95
  • City / Town: Newark
« Reply #45 on: 25 May, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »
But there is an over temperature warning device - it is the red led light. 

The only real issue is that it goes untested so confidence is low.
Only do it right - no bodging please.   Keeper of the failed stator list.   John.

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #46 on: 25 May, 2016, 12:21:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by gedspeed [+]
There could be a built in engine cut out if temp gets too high or loss of oil pressure, if there isn't there should be.!

Ged

:mfrlol: I can tell you that my fan got stuck ,something I did. the bike over heats and boils over via the expansion tank.sounded like a steam pressure cooker on the boil, there is nothing to shut the system down apart from you.
I had just completed the bikes rebuild and was sitting beside it wondering why the bike was overheating + fan rubbing on radiator:028:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline gedspeed

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW R1200RS SE
  • City / Town: Blackpool Lancs
« Reply #47 on: 25 May, 2016, 05:03:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Robo [+]
:mfrlol: I can tell you that my fan got stuck ,something I did. the bike over heats and boils over via the expansion tank.sounded like a steam pressure cooker on the boil, there is nothing to shut the system down apart from you.
I had just completed the bikes rebuild and was sitting beside it wondering why the bike was overheating + fan rubbing on radiator:028:

Why the water is boiling the engine is still losing heat, when it's out of water it won't.

Ged
BMW R1200RS Sport SE , blue pearl white

Offline bazza696

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Witham
« Reply #48 on: 26 May, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
Don't forget on CBF it has the oil cooled by the radiator water, my VTR has a separate oil cooler, so the oil is being heated by the coolant, and coolant by the oil.
1998 Honda VTR1000F
2008 Honda CBF1000

Offline illmor

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: honda cbf 1000
  • City / Town: southampton
« Reply #49 on: 26 May, 2016, 05:25:10 PM »
I`ve just replaced coolant on my bike. Drained old one, flushed with water and put new one in. Motul Inugel Expert. Comparing to Suzuki RF900 I had for over five years, radiator is around 25% smaller, so I expect engine to run hotter. 7 years difference, so I guess machining tolerances, production process, materials moved on a bit...   Fan does come on fairly often in town, but I`m not worried at all. Once you get to running temp ( about 95 deg ), it just stays there. If they are designed to run like that, let it run like that. My 5p
« Last Edit: 26 May, 2016, 05:40:45 PM by illmor »