Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CBF running temperature  (Read 8984 times)

Offline macdoc

• Ex Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2009
  • City / Town: Mississauga
Re: CBF running temperature
« Reply #30 on: 21 May, 2016, 11:46:52 AM »
I ride quite remote areas and last time I had a breakdown ( shredded tire ) it took be 11 hours to get a tow. I don't need that when a $20 gauge can reassure me all is well.

I have a TPMS for the last 4 years as well. Served me well even tho the only flat ( since plugged and solid ) showed up in the driveway.

Buddies Burgman 650 ...which in 4 years of owning mine had never moved a shred above 3 bars on the temp....started to show above 3 and we were able to get to a spot in the Daintree rainforest where we could figure out what was going on, top up and limp home. A tow from there would have been brutal as it's across a ferry.

with some local critters to be concerned about. The crocs pull up and sun right beside the ferry launch.

Gotta love Aus  :015:

Tho moutain region Pennsylvia gives it a run for remote...even the tow driver got lost.
The GPS SAID it was a road.

do I hear banjos?? :110:
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #31 on: 21 May, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »
Nice pics but pointless :431:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #32 on: 21 May, 2016, 11:59:01 AM »
According to manual the thermostat is fully open at 90-95 deg C and on the cb1000r the overtemp warning trips at 122 deg C when the digital readout starts flashing. Haynes don't say about what temp the warning led on cbf comes on so am assuming its similar. Ok I know what you're thinking: that's well above boiling point of water, but of course the coolant system is pressurised to around 16 to 20 psi which raises the boiling point due to Boyle's gas laws I think? Don't u just hate a smart-ass boffin lol?!

Offline Robo

• CBF God
« Reply #33 on: 21 May, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »
Still pointless.

If I was worried about all the above the temp ain't the problem  :087:

The fan is, I'd wire a switch inline to over ride the fan's relay.

It's the fan that will pack up first. WTF is a gauge going to do  :435: tell you what gear you're in

:084:

Offline richardcbf

• CBF God
  • Try Google (" site:cbf1000.com + search word/s ")
  • Bike: CBF1000s Mk1/Mk2
  • City / Town: Surrey ('TW')
« Reply #34 on: 21 May, 2016, 12:11:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by macdoc [+]
That's okay thanks ...I'm happy with the velcro approach. I can also use it as an ambient temp too once I get a feel on the bike temp.
Going out for 3 weeks on the road so any sort of an engine temp gauge appeals without tapping the electronics. Once I have a baseline reading...from cruising speed to slow traffic...I just need to keep an eye on it. I've never seen the heat sensor light come on but then in bright sunlight I could have missed it.

Suggestions as to were to place the sensor welcome. 8' cable so have some range.
Presumably the purpose of the temperature indication is to be able to see a significant change in measurement, not a specific or accurate value. Also, if engine coolant temperature is suitable, then the outer surface (perhaps with some thermal grease and thermal insulation plus overwrapping with foil tape) of the radiator upper hose should do?
(No one ever said on their deathbed, "Gee, I wish I had spent more time alone with my computer." Danielle Berry.) http://hmpg.net/

Offline Robo

• CBF God
« Reply #35 on: 21 May, 2016, 12:15:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]
Presumably the purpose of the temperature indication is to be able to see a significant change in measurement, not a specific or accurate value. Also, if engine coolant temperature is suitable, then the outer surface (perhaps with some thermal grease and thermal insulation plus overwrapping with foil tape) of the radiator upper hose should do?

Next thread . I'm fitting a fuel gauge light, indicator  :495:

Offline macdoc

• Ex Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2009
  • City / Town: Mississauga
« Reply #36 on: 21 May, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »
Nice pics but pointless :431:
I ride remotely as against who ever mentioned London ....the pics are fun and emphasize that and that is exactly where we ran in an overheating problem on the Burgman ....so yeah ....there is a point. Had we continued much futher north it would have escalated into a very costly experience.

If you don't have something cogent to add then refrain from commenting. There is one pointless post in the thread and you made it. If you don't understand then too bad. Richard gets exactly what I'm after..

*Originally Posted by richardcbf

You outlined exactly what I wanted ....a reference point I can refer to and I was thinking upper hose as well for easy access. Foil tape a good idea and we have some thermal paste around for processors.

Meanwhile it's a lovely long weekend, full day riding the backroads coming up and I''ll just have to deal with the temperature angst for another week.  :015:

Listening for a fan or not is useless - I ride with noise suppression and want a visual indicator.
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000

Offline Robo

• CBF God
« Reply #37 on: 21 May, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by macdoc [+]
I ride remotely as against who ever mentioned London  :435:have you forgot :462:....the pics are fun and emphasize that and that is exactly where we ran in an overheating problem on the Burgman :430:It's a suzuki scooter  a honda  :112: ....so yeah ....there is a point. Had we continued much futher north it would have escalated into a very costly experience.

If you don't have something cogent to add then refrain from commenting.Piss off, your posts end in arguments and pointess comments There is one pointless post in the thread and you made it.  If you don't understand then too bad.  :462:Richard gets exactly what I'm after..Far away from a gauge

You outlined exactly what I wanted ....a reference point I can refer to and I was thinking upper hose as well for easy access. Foil tape a good idea and we have some thermal paste around for processors.

Meanwhile it's a lovely long weekend, full day riding the backroads coming up and I''ll just have to deal with the temperature angst for another week.  :015:

Listening for a fan or not is useless -You  Don't know the CBF  you would feel the fan against your leg I ride with noise suppression and want a visual indicator.

Still pointless

Offline gedspeed

• CBF God
  • Bike: BMW R1200RS SE
  • City / Town: Blackpool Lancs
« Reply #38 on: 21 May, 2016, 02:20:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardcbf [+]

The top hose is not a good point to check the temperature overall,  if the thermostat fails then the coolant will not flow through the top hose,  temperature reading will be distorted.

Best is probe fitted near th water jacket on the head.

Ged
BMW R1200RS Sport SE , blue pearl white

Offline Robo

• CBF God
« Reply #39 on: 21 May, 2016, 02:36:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by gedspeed [+]
The top hose is not a good point to check the temperature overall,  if the thermostat fails then the coolant will not flow through the top hose,  temperature reading will be distorted.

Best is probe fitted near th water jacket on the head.

Ged

:0461: but who will dare to fit that, this takes more than sticky tape to fit.

It still will only give you a reading, the fan cools the engine, so Like I said but I've been told its pointless , fitting a toggle switch to activate the fan would do better.How many CBF's suffer from over heating :260:
 :028: