Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CBF running temperature  (Read 4420 times)

Offline bazza696

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Witham
Re: CBF running temperature
« Reply #20 on: 06 May, 2016, 08:34:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stuart Fordyce [+]
Going through other replies. The coolant level is OK, and it's worth me pointing out that I instruct in a very hilly part of South London. My bike is invariably going very slowly in traffic, and I spend an inordinate amount of time waiting at traffic lights.

If your going to invest in changing your coolant and your riding causes the fan to come on all the time, why not consider investing in a waterless coolant.

I believe the benefits over normal water based coolants, is that it has a lower surface temperature so it will have more surface contact with the internal components and when water based coolants get hot, the liquid in contact with the surface can start to boil and create steam. This causes a void where the liquid is no longer in contact with the engine, and can reduced or offer no further heat transfer, which causes the temperature to rise and starts a viscous circle.
1998 Honda VTR1000F
2008 Honda CBF1000

Offline Stuart Fordyce

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000 F8
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #21 on: 06 May, 2016, 09:06:11 AM »
I have seen those on Wheeler Dealers and it is a thought...
"Riding Bikes in London, that's mad, that is" - Guy Martin to me, December 2009
"I think it's sexy when a man rides a motorcycle" - Scarlett Johansson

Offline Trance-Elbow

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A8 (Mk1)
  • City / Town: Crawley
« Reply #22 on: 06 May, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
I too had considered using waterless coolant, but bulked at the  cost.  :191:

There appear to be 3 types of standard ready mixed coolant on the market. These are Blue, Red and Purple. They all seem to be of suitable spec for the Biffer and the only difference I can see is the stated service life and inclusion of something called Organic Acid Technology (OAT).  :087:

Does anyone have any recommendation which is best to use and why?

Blue - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/blue-antifreeze/?523770501&0&cc5_865

Red - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/red-antifreeze/?523770511&0&cc5_866

Purple - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/red-antifreeze/?523770521&0&cc5_866
« Last Edit: 06 May, 2016, 11:51:02 AM by Trance-Elbow »
Regards.
Chris

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #23 on: 07 May, 2016, 11:49:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Trance-Elbow [+]
  :087:

Does anyone have any recommendation which is best to use and why?

I use this in all my vehicles, 3 bikes , 2 cars and 1 van.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/blue-antifreeze/?523770501&0&cc5_865

I buy it concentrated and  mix it 50 /50 with deironized water  for my bikes but just mix it with tap water for my 4 wheeled vehicles. Never had a problem with the bikes as I change it yearly, never had a problem with the 4 wheeled vehicles, I just top it up and change it when needed.

If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline macdoc

• Ex Member
  • Bike: CBF1000 2009
  • City / Town: Mississauga
« Reply #24 on: 20 May, 2016, 08:39:32 PM »
Sitting here with soem riders...oen recommended a thermocouple on the rad hose and get a gauge. Anyone taken that approach?...
I reallly prefer to see what the temp is approx instead of depending on idjit light.
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000

Offline Biker Mike

• CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000FAB
  • City / Town: Poole, Dorset
« Reply #25 on: 20 May, 2016, 10:42:10 PM »
I recently posted this under another header, but relevant to the discussion here:
https://www.cbf1000.com/index.php/topic,20077.msg238590.html#msg238590

Offline macdoc

• Ex Member
« Reply #26 on: 20 May, 2016, 11:46:26 PM »
Grabbed one of these for $20.

A unique digital temperature meter with a 8 ft cable and remote temp sensor probe. Ideal for seeing temperature in cars, aquariums, pet habitats, HVAC air ducts, computer towers and cpu temp, reading temperature inside or outside the home, test equipment, farms, pools , jacuzzi, see outside air or water temperature in automobiles, vans, trucks,RV's and boats. The unit has a great professional look when flush or surface mounted onto any surface. Mounting Hole Size 1"x 1.75" (0.5" deep) Temp. Range -40F to +160F.to +160F ( -30C to +70C) Fahrenheit to Celcius Selector Switch located on the back of unit Unit auto updates the temperature reading every 8 seconds. The temp sensor probe is rustproof because its made of 100% stainless steel. It does not have a backlight . This is a high quality unit ( Not made in China ).

All this instrument does is tell the temperature -- that's exactly what I wanted. I used double backed super velcro to attach the thermometer on the motorcycle

Think it's useful...worth a try.
Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian for 3 months each year Jan to April
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold • Canada > 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold • 10 Wee ABS • 2009 CBF1000

Offline SaturnV

• CBF Legend
  • Bike: CBF1000A9
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #27 on: 21 May, 2016, 10:04:44 AM »
 :0461:

Only had my bike 1 week and only 150 miles but that's the first thing I noticed!  My old CBR F3 it hardly ever comes on (except at traffic lights) but that has a gauge too which barely goes above 'cold' section of dial except when stopped for a few mins. 
Yes it's annoying not having a temp gauge - they could've easily fitted one on the left where the HISS warning is with a feed from the ECT sensor.  Found a bit in the Haynes manual, Trance-Elbow, about testing the temp warning LED and ECT sensor if you don't have already I can take pics and email you or attach here...

Offline macdoc

• Ex Member
« Reply #28 on: 21 May, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »
That's okay thanks ...I'm happy with the velcro approach. I can also use it as an ambient temp too once I get a feel on the bike temp.
Going out for 3 weeks on the road so any sort of an engine temp gauge appeals without tapping the electronics. Once I have a baseline reading...from cruising speed to slow traffic...I just need to keep an eye on it. I've never seen the heat sensor light come on but then in bright sunlight I could have missed it.

Suggestions as to were to place the sensor welcome. 8' cable so have some range.

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #29 on: 21 May, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »
Each to their own but I can't see the point.

I ride up to 10 hours a day in a little place called LONDON. Where the traffic is gridlocked.

Then other days I'm all over the tiny Island.

The bike runs hot and heats my pies nicely when strapped to the zorts.

The only time the warning light has ever come on was when the water was a bit low in the Radiator due to me not bleeding the system correctly after a water change.

Check out what temp the thermostat opens at and the fan comes on, :028:

If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

diverse-leafy