Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: CBF running temperature  (Read 8936 times)

Offline Rachy40

• Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Runcorn
CBF running temperature
« on: 03 May, 2016, 10:04:08 PM »
Bought an 06 CBF 1000 in November. Noticed that when riding it the fan comes on a lot. It even comes on during the cold weather in December-February. As there is no way of watching the temp gauge I find this a bit concerning as I'm due to ride it in Spain this June. I've never had any other bike have a fan come on in cold weather during Normal riding. My blackbirds fan hardly ever comes on unless I'm in slow moving traffic.
Any advice or comments would be appreciated

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
Re: CBF running temperature
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:38:40 PM »
Sounds like a CBF to me. Normal  :028:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline alan sh

• Article Editor
  • CBF God
  • Bike: CBF1000/CB1300
  • City / Town: Rochdale
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:48:54 PM »
I agree. Riding in town, the fan comes on very quickly. As long as it goes off again, you're fine.

Alan
Red MK II with full luggage, MRA screen, hugger, crash bungs, heated grips and Autocom.
CB1300SA with a few bits.
https://ourbikingholidays.wordpress.com/
https://mybikinghistory.wordpress.com/

Offline Rev Ken

• CBF God
  • Growing old is compulsory; growing up is optional.
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Workington
« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:54:10 PM »
Even with a radiator guard and riding fuly loaded very slowly through congested towns in hotter parts of Europe than Spain, it never suffered, unlike two BMWs in our group! (And I've now got a BMW!)
Never ride faster than your Angel can fly.

Offline bazza696

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000
  • City / Town: Witham
« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:00:09 AM »
The CBF is no way as bad as the VTR having radiators on the side. I have a temperature gauge on it and spends most of the time just under the red line with the fan running. When I go out with the boys for a ride, get 10 storms together at a set of lights, the heat is nearly unbearable.

I would be more worried if the fan doesn't come on. I'm not sure how the CBF is set up but my Proton Satria GTI fan came in regularly to keep the temperature at a normal level, rather than allowing it to over heat before cutting in, cause being a Malaysian car in a hot country, once it overheated it's hard to get the temperature back down.
1998 Honda VTR1000F
2008 Honda CBF1000

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »
An engine burning fuel should have heat.. I had a Bandit 1200 air/oil cooled without any water cooling and in summer when stood the heat haze ripples rising up from each side of the engine were distorting my vision. I did 48,000 miles of hard miles and it never missed a beat. 
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS

Offline Trance-Elbow

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A8 (Mk1)
  • City / Town: Crawley
« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2016, 09:28:56 AM »
Mines a 2008 and the only time the fan doesn't come on is when the temperature out is at or below 0C. in hot weather it does feel very hot, but it's never caused a problem. I'm guessing that is normal behaviour for a Biffer.

What has always worried me though, is the lack of temp gauge. How do I know that the "Over Temp" warning light even works?
« Last Edit: 04 May, 2016, 09:31:08 AM by Trance-Elbow »
Regards.
Chris

Offline Robo

• CBF God
  • CBF1000 2007-2010 built from all years!!
  • Bike: MK1
  • City / Town: By The Sea
« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2016, 10:36:33 AM »
If you hang tiny hooks from the front of the Radiator  :260: you can dry your weeks worth of underpants.

Or Gloves. :138:
If theres a gap i can get through it !!!

Some people pay for an IAM... I am mad.....

Offline Trance-Elbow

• CBF Pro
  • Bike: CBF1000-A8 (Mk1)
  • City / Town: Crawley
« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Robo [+]
If you hang tiny hooks from the front of the Radiator  :260: you can dry your weeks worth of underpants.

But Robo - Surely you need them behind the radiator as the air entering will only be ambient temperature. If behind, your underpants will benefit from the additional heat generated by the radiator and thus accelerate the drying cycle/time?  :164:
Regards.
Chris

Offline ivor hugh jarse

• CBF Master
  • Bike: CBF 1000A
  • City / Town: Barnsley
« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Robo [+]

Underpants? plural.... not singular underpant!... you extravagant person - sure you're not a female?
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite..... and furthermore always carry a small snake.   W.C.FIELDS